The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

• Paid Members
13 hours ago, WyattSheepMask said:

So Total Viewership is considered important this week, there’s a suprise

Why do you care so much? 

Two good shows again. 1.6m people watching wrestling and god knows how many more outside of US Live TV. What is there to cry about?

• Paid Members

I thought AEW was pretty shite this week to be honest. Its settled into this half decent at best wrestling show, which is not what was on the menu when they announced this promotion. That win/loss system has been so poorly thought out and has already ran into trouble. Jungle Boy is 0-10. Yet he's supposedly their next big act. You cant have all these people booking the show. Its the exact thing people bury WWE for. Every segment looks like its been booked by someone completely different.

21 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Why do you care so much? 

Two good shows again. 1.6m people watching wrestling and god knows how many more outside of US Live TV. What is there to cry about?

1.6m watching and one of the two shows contributing to that number would be classed as that company's C show. That's an insane number.

If anyone seriously still cares that Meltzer might be biased - or on Khan's guestlists - he tore into the product a bit on WOR this week. He wasn't entirely derogatory, but he said Dynamite's too easily getting mired in the kind of garbage that NXT avoids. 

Marathon, not a sprint, but NXT's definitely buzzed off the television more in the last two weeks or so. It even seems louder when it comes on. A lot of the flow of Dynamite seems a bit rudderless. 

Also you've had a few months now to sort out your cues and mixing desks. There's far too much dead air when they're waiting for someone's music to start up each week. 

It's brilliant that NXT's bringing its A game, though. It's fun to compare the two - it's even fun to pick sides within reason - but the whole thing's basically fucking brilliant. 

Edited by Gay as FOOK

• Paid Members
Just now, IANdrewDiceClay said:

TNA used to get that on their own. Two major networks showing wrestling, you'd expect more than 1.6 million.

Raw used to get twice and three times as many viewers too. Not to play down TNA's numbers, in hindsight, they're incredible (and what fucking idiots they are to piss that away), but it's a different landscape.

17 minutes ago, IANdrewDiceClay said:

Its settled into this half decent at best wrestling show, which is not what was on the menu when they announced this promotion. 

I think that's what is disappointing me the most.

If I sit down and actually think about what I like about AEW that I can't get anywhere else, I really struggle. That's not to say that they don't have their positives, and it's great that guys like Jericho and Moxley are out there having the time of their lives, but on the whole it's all feeling very much like I imagine WCW would be like in 2019. Again, that's not necessarily a bad thing to a lot of fans, but it's quite surprising how fast it has fallen into an all too familiar routine.

Basically I do enjoy AEW  from one week to the next but it's not really for the reasons I ever thought I would.

Do they have a TV deal for a set number of shows, or is it rolling dependent on metrics? I hope it's the former, because a 'season break' would give them a chance to properly assess things and tune things up. Not just the live show production which obviously needs tightening, but also the in ring concepts.

As much as I like the ranking idea, having every match count has diluted what should feel like a race to the top and massively exposed how 50-50 things are with a limited albeit talented roster. They're maintaining and pushing win-loss records, but with no league system, no official divisioning of the roster, and the champion defending against opponents based on angles. There's no end goal or finishing line for the ranked wrestlers, and the audience, to add urgency and a sense of climax to things. Things just roll into each other, just like other wrestling shows, with stats pushed as and when as if it adds an extra dimension to a feud. They need more unranked 'exhibition' matches, with the matches that count being hyped as more important.

At the moment, there are lots of decent ideas but almost all half-baked.

I also think the face vs heel blurred lines are a sad indictment of the attitude of the workers, which is that they seem to be working for themselves rather than the story or long term business. I've mentioned it before on this forum, but Undi's comments about reigning himself in to serve the character and story really hit home with me as an issue I have with a lot of AEW. Sure, they're great athletic matches, but I don't feel I'm missing anything week on week. Kenny might lose three on the trot, but he'll still do the cocky cosplay entrances and go for 20 minutes+ instead of chasing the quick win. There's no development.

On the plus side, the guys must LOVE working with Dustin. It looks like a day off every night, and still a blinder.

8 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

I hear this a lot but other than having wrestlers WWE doesn't have how exactly is it 'alternative'?
Genuine question.

Well it’s three hours a week of easy to watch TV, with a lot less random PPVs like TLC which still doesn’t have any matches announced. They are yet to provide all out disappointing finishes like a HIAC match going to a non finish. They aren’t doing 5 hour PPVs. It’s less micromanaged (for better and worse.) The roster has a clear hierarchy. They have a stronger focus on tag team wrestling. 

There is a lot more different than just the roster. They are very different products with a few of the same problems 

2 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

I would very much like to hear Luchasaurus talk about Eleanor of Aquitaine please AEW. Thank you.

He’s absolutely brilliant on the mic. I’m not sure if it’s his delivery, his wit, his look or my childhood love of Walking with Dinosaurs but he comes across as being really cool. He’s honestly one of my favourite things in wrestling right now.

On an unrelated note, Cody has replied to someone on Twitter to clarify that Jungle Boy isn’t challenging him for the title, he’s going to prove that he can last 10 minutes with Jericho.

Given that almost every match on Dynamite lasts 14 minutes regardless of who features I reckon he’ll be OK.