The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

5 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

I've got no problem with that whatsoever. It's always been done and is absolutely fine. I've got great memories of seeing the Hart Foundation and the Bulldogs wrestling in singles way back when. Always a fun little way to fill TV time and build a feud.

More of a WWE trope is Trent's last name having disappeared!

Perhaps it’s a copyright thing, given that he used that name in WWE? I mean, I don’t see why they’d bother keeping the Trent Barretta trademark active, but I also don’t see why you’d choose to have a guy wrestle with as bland a sounding name as Trent.

I enjoyed parts of this show, but I echo a lot of the complaints here. Cody’s promos are generally good, but I find the language he uses a little annoying at times. It almost feels like he flips through a thesaurus before going out to shove in a few, for want of a better term, ‘big’ words just for the sake of it. It makes what he says sound very unnatural. I noticed Brandi do something similar this week, using words that you wouldn’t normally say if you’re trying to keep things sounding natural.

His offer to let BBB choose his partner was a bit dumb too. Why bother? I assumed it was part of a plan, where they’d choose MJF to lure MJF into a false sense of security before it turned out that BBB were a Cody hire, they’re on his side, and a beat down ensues. It’s a bit convoluted but it would at least explain why Cody did the whole ‘choose my partner’ thing. The MJF promo seems to pour cold water on that, making his decision just plain daft.

There are still far too many matches for me, and they are all pretty similar style wise. It ends up feeling very repetitious. the matches all feel very inconsequential. ‘Wins and losses matter’ yet Jungle Boy has a title shot? Don’t get me wrong, that should be a fun match but it kind of makes the ranking system feel redundant. 

The Brandi thing was just plain bad, and the angle at the end felt like a complete rip of Serena joining the Straight Edge Society. I was surprised when they took the clippers out during what was a break in the States, but they obviously didn’t shave her bald so I’m not sure what the point in that was exactly. 

I don’t hate AEW, but it doesn’t have the ‘anything can happen’ feeling that makes it feel unmissable. It’s following a fairly set formula each week. I’m not suggesting we get Attitude Era style crash TV, just that it could and should feel gripping - like you really want to see where each story is going. There have been glimpses of that, but sadly it’s fairly sporadic.

3 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

They didn't even bother having him on the lead up to Survivor Series. Why would they bother now completely randomly?

Plus why would they even need to? NXT has done a fantasy job of catching up simply by producing good, arguably better, programming.

• Paid Members
17 hours ago, tiger_rick said:

More of a WWE trope is Trent's last name having disappeared!

That actually happened when he left WWE. They got shirty about him being Trent Baretta on indies, so he briefly just wrestled as Baretta, and then as Trent?. 

16 hours ago, cobra_gordo said:

This is my biggest gripe. Not sure if they're scared of booking some of the mid-card tweeners as proper heels or what but I've found it confusing at times and it has led to a couple of flat reactions from the crowd. 

I think a lot of this comes down to what's been discussed, of some of the roster genuinely believing that "heels and faces" are a thing of the past. 

Cody's the most egregious, though he at least seems to have settled in to heroic babyface territory now that they're on TV. In the early PPVs, though, he'd be cutting babyface promos then wrestling heel, or wrestling face with a heel manager, and just generally flip-flopping all over the place. The worst was the Darby Allin match, where he wrestled as a heel throughout, then Shawn Spears turned heel by attacking him. 

The thing is, face or heel isn't just about whether one particular crowd cheers or boos you. It's about long-term stories and, more importantly, it's about the entire dynamic of a wrestling match. While it's possible to have face vs. face or heel vs. heel matches, the vast majority rely on a face/heel dynamic to function, and if you start changing that up, it's much harder to get invested.

16 hours ago, FelatioLips said:

With all due respect neither The Young Bucks or Trent/Chuck have any upside as singles guys and you’re comparing them to the Harts and Bulldogs.

I disagree here, purely on Chuck Taylor. I think he has far more value as a singles guy than he ever has as one of Best Friends.

5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

While it's possible to have face vs. face or heel vs. heel matches, the vast majority rely on a face/heel dynamic to function, and if you start changing that up, it's much harder to get invested.

Couldn't agree more. Heel/heel matches can be awful because no one actually wants anyone to win, although you get a rare one where it's just more of a spectacle than anything. Face/face matches can go either way - either you get those hot crowds with the duelling chants and they're really into it, or no one really knows who to support so they end up being absolutely dead for it. I think the idea that there can't be a clear face/heel divide is crazy. It's just down to the booking. 

• Paid Members

Nielsen keep the precise numbers under wraps, but as best I can tell one Nielsen viewer "counts" as around 3,000 viewers in the ratings. (100,000 people in homes with meters among around 300 million total viewers.)