The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

MPDTT

45 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

Is there a miscommunication between the bookers and the wrestlers? Is it inexperience on the bookers part? Are they just wanting to please everybody by not having a clear heel/face dynamic outside of the main eventers? It's jarring.

'In AEW we can do whatever we want. It's great. We don't have anyone to answer to' - Jon Moxley [paraphrased] recent interview.

I can only echo what other people have said about AEW's issues with heel/face dynamics. 

It is difficult to get emotionally invested in a story when there are no clear heels or faces. If a wrestler (or team) can't adapt their style to suit their face/heel persona then maybe they aren't that good to begin with. For example, I would expect a heel Pentagon to amend his style so that he doesn't get pops every move. The problem also seems to be (in the tag division) is that every match has  298794879 splashes, moonsaults etc that nothing matters anymore. One reason I have mainly given up on the company already is the fact I feel I have seen Private Party wrestle a million matches in just 10 weeks and each match is the same contrived shite as the last. 

They really need to stop relying on the same type of beat down style angle too. The first time it happened was brilliant but its becoming a trope with AEW and not in a good way. 

Their roster is stupidly thin on the ground. I am not a WWE fanboy but at least they have some guys that look and act like wrestlers taking the whole thing seriously. Even smaller guys like Pete Dunne look the business and make everything look brilliant. These guys need to slow the fuck down and work properly. 

I want this company to succeed I really do! I love Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy. Jericho will always be great and his relationship with Sammy G is gold. They really need to bring in some high quality talent though if they are going to continue competing. I personally would go for...

Briscoe Brothers, Marty Scurll, Jeff Cobb, Michael Elgin, Jacob Fatu, Sammy Callihan, Dragon Lee, Colt Cabana et al. Give some of them some unusual gimmicks and allow them to WRESTLE. God why don't they have a mid-card title with rounds as the key focus of matches - a bit World of Sport in the approach? They want to be different and that could be unique and add a different dynamic to matches. Get a bloody deal with NJPW and add Ospreay, Archer, Ibushi, White and Suzuki into the mix (if possible). They could do a short stint with talent sharing between companies - giving Jungle Boy et al the type of NJPW exposure and experience that would benefit the whole company. Get some decent Mexican guys in (again, same applies). THIS is what they should be doing. Make it must see with talent that know what the fuck they are doing! 

29 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

'In AEW we can do whatever we want. It's great. We don't have anyone to answer to' - Jon Moxley [paraphrased] recent interview.

I will never be swayed from the belief that heels/faces will always be the staple of wrestling. Sure we had 'cool' heels like HHH in 2000 and badass babyfaces like Austin in 1998 but these shouldn't be the rule. Good vs evil is the way to go, its the mainstay of tales forever! 

7 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

Get a bloody deal with NJPW and add Ospreay, Archer, Ibushi, White and Suzuki into the mix (if possible). They could do a short stint with talent sharing between companies - giving Jungle Boy et al the type of NJPW exposure and experience that would benefit the whole company. Get some decent Mexican guys in (again, same applies). THIS is what they should be doing. Make it must see with talent that know what the fuck they are doing! 

As someone who enjoys both NJPW and AEW I say this with all the respect in the world - I hope to god this never happens.

We've all seen how shit ROH became when it was overly reliant on New Japan people. Same with Impact relying way too much on talent from other companies. Fuck that.

AEW doesn't need another company to make them look good. They need to stand on their own two feet, learn from their mistakes and move forward with the talent pool they have. Sure, acquire a few more decent faces along the way but they DO have a good base right now.

Whilst I agree that they need to stand on their own feet they simply have a shallow talent pool and many they do have aren't all that good. I think intermittent working ww other promotions wouldn't be a bad thing. They need something to get eyeballs on the product and any est talent could help w that. 

• Paid Members

7 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I personally would go for...

Briscoe Brothers, Marty Scurll, Jeff Cobb, Michael Elgin, Jacob Fatu, Sammy Callihan, Dragon Lee, Colt Cabana et al. Give some of them some unusual gimmicks and allow them to WRESTLE. 

Even if we skip the mad fantasy booking that ignores the fact that the people listed are literally contracted to AEW’s direct competition in ROH and Impact, ranting that AEW needs to let people WRESTLE is the most mental thing ever. That’s all they fucking do! Half the problem with the company is that people are just allowed to WRESTLE. The women’s division in particular is mostly shit for that very reason. Just women wrestlers having a WRESTLE for no rhyme or reason.

Between the teases on BTE and Jericho mentioning a, “Marty,” in his list, I really hope that’s confirmation that Scurll is coming in. Far better than wasting his career going nowhere for ROH and its dwindling audience. 

I know they’ve both become bad tropes for AEW but I’d love nothing more than for an episode of Dynamite to end with a wild Nitro brawl, for the lights to go out, and then Marty appears in the ring. I bet he’d get a huge pop.

17 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I will never be swayed from the belief that heels/faces will always be the staple of wrestling. Sure we had 'cool' heels like HHH in 2000 and badass babyfaces like Austin in 1998 but these shouldn't be the rule. Good vs evil is the way to go, its the mainstay of tales forever! 

Cody himself has said he does not believe in heels v faces and he seems to be most coherent wrestling mind of all the VP's.
According to Meltz, the final say on all things creative is Tony Khan but all the top guys basically call their own shots.
Sadly, no matter how much of a fan he is, it's another money-mark in charge of a wrestling company and history tells us this does not end well. 

• Paid Members

Not to become an AEW apologist, but the Dark Order gimmick has been fleshed out with some cool vignettes with high production values. Now that they’re essentially Scientology it opens them up for storylines where they try and corrupt and recruit other members of the roster. Much better than when they were just some spooky dickheads in gimp masks.

The problem is that whilst they’ve been off TV to flesh their gimmick out, two other cults have popped up! Between the Bunny, Blade and Butcher and Brandi Rhodes’ E-Fed shit, it’s the clearest example yet of what pitfalls come with allowing everyone to book their own stuff. You end up with everyone standing on each other’s toes. 

• Paid Members

I love Cody, and I always wonder whether adhering to strict heel and babyface dynamics sells the medium short, but the proof is in the pudding. The two biggest successes in AEW right now are pure white babyface Cody and pure cocky little prick heel MJF. And by contrast, post-modern Kenny Omega with his tweener promos and clever, multi-layered storyline of redemption, could easily fuck back off to Japan full-time and he wouldn’t be missed at all.

Edited by Supremo