MPDTT

The AEW Wednesday Night Dynamite Thread

The shine is very quickly coming off this for me now. 10 weeks in and more and more WWE-lite cracks are showing. 50/50 booking, tag wrestlers doing singles and vice versa, clear stars to be made but focus being on the wrong people. Who thinks putting Nick Jackson or Trent Baretta in singles matches instead of building a tag division is a good idea? Where’s the women’s champion? Faces and heels just swapping week to week.

This week’s show was better than last week, but I chose not to stay up so I could start skipping bits I can’t be arsed with.

1 minute ago, FelatioLips said:

Who thinks putting Nick Jackson or Trent Baretta in singles matches instead of building a tag division is a good idea?

I've got no problem with that whatsoever. It's always been done and is absolutely fine. I've got great memories of seeing the Hart Foundation and the Bulldogs wrestling in singles way back when. Always a fun little way to fill TV time and build a feud.

More of a WWE trope is Trent's last name having disappeared!

19 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

Faces and heels just swapping week to week.

This is my biggest gripe. Not sure if they're scared of booking some of the mid-card tweeners as proper heels or what but I've found it confusing at times and it has led to a couple of flat reactions from the crowd. Good example is Pentagon attacking Daniels before their tag tournament match, a classic heel move meaning he's unable to compete. Scorpio Sky then becomes a super face as a result which is great and he's now genuinely someone I want to see pushed to the moon but Lucha Bros still come out to face pops, are still super over and continue to work the crowd like good guys would, despite wrestling a heelish style. Daniels finally returns weeks later, sneak attacks Pentagon from under a disguise to get his revenge but it's forgotten in seconds. If they'd built a clear story, that SCU are the disadvantaged faces and Lucha Bros are bastards, Daniels getting his revenge could have got a huge reaction but it just felt flat and didn't warrant any sort of selling from the commentary other than a "Oooh, it's Daniels" from Excalibur.

Similar thing with Proud and Powerful. Along with Jericho and the infinitely punchable Sammy G they're perfectly hateable heels, apart from when they're wrestling at Full Gear against the Bucks where they were coming off as the unfortunate, plucky faces at times. They had refs decisions going against them, tags being disallowed, being a man down due to Ortiz being thrown over the barrier and struggling for the hot tag. All stuff that screams underdog face team. In fairness the balance did shift towards a regular heel/face dynamic towards the end when Matt Jackson was selling his shin.

Is there a miscommunication between the bookers and the wrestlers? Is it inexperience on the bookers part? Are they just wanting to please everybody by not having a clear heel/face dynamic outside of the main eventers? It's jarring.

49 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I've got no problem with that whatsoever. It's always been done and is absolutely fine. I've got great memories of seeing the Hart Foundation and the Bulldogs wrestling in singles way back when. Always a fun little way to fill TV time and build a feud.

More of a WWE trope is Trent's last name having disappeared!

With all due respect neither The Young Bucks or Trent/Chuck have any upside as singles guys and you’re comparing them to the Harts and Bulldogs. Maybe if you had fond memories of Grandmaster Sexay vs Funaki or Renee Dupree vs Rosie.

3 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

This is my biggest gripe. Not sure if they're scared of booking some of the mid-card tweeners as proper heels or what but I've found it confusing at times and it has led to a couple of flat reactions from the crowd. Good example is Pentagon attacking Daniels before their tag tournament match, a classic heel move meaning he's unable to compete. Scorpio Sky then becomes a super face as a result which is great and he's now genuinely someone I want to see pushed to the moon but Lucha Bros still come out to face pops, are still super over and continue to work the crowd like good guys would, despite wrestling a heelish style. Daniels finally returns weeks later, sneak attacks Pentagon from under a disguise to get his revenge but it's forgotten in seconds. If they'd built a clear story, that SCU are the disadvantaged faces and Lucha Bros are bastards, Daniels getting his revenge could have got a huge reaction but it just felt flat and didn't warrant any sort of selling from the commentary other than a "Oooh, it's Daniels" from Excalibur.

Similar thing with Proud and Powerful. Along with Jericho and the infinitely punchable Sammy G they're perfectly hateable heels, apart from when they're wrestling at Full Gear against the Bucks where they were coming off as the unfortunate, plucky faces at times. They had refs decisions going against them, tags being disallowed, being a man down due to Ortiz being thrown over the barrier and struggling for the hot tag. All stuff that screams underdog face team. In fairness the balance did shift towards a regular heel/face dynamic towards the end when Matt Jackson was selling his shin.

Is there a miscommunication between the bookers and the wrestlers? Is it inexperience on the bookers part? Are they just wanting to please everybody by not having a clear heel/face dynamic outside of the main eventers? It's jarring.

A lot of that is down to the audience. There is absolutely no confusion in the Proud and Powerful act. They're pieces of shit. Same for the Luchas. It's clear they've been heels against the Bucks, SCU and now Best Friends. The crowd just cheer them anyway though. Their style doesn't help, though that seems to be everyone's style anyway, but it's hard to book them as heels in front of these crowds.

I do think the point in general is solid. There have been a few examples already. The Brandi Rhodes one being the stupidest.

3 minutes ago, FelatioLips said:

With all due respect neither The Young Bucks or Trent/Chuck have any upside as singles guys and you’re comparing them to the Harts and Bulldogs. Maybe if you had fond memories of Grandmaster Sexay vs Funaki or Renee Dupree vs Rosie.

In fairness, I'm going back to a time when the Harts and Bulldogs were exclusively tag team wrestlers. The only time you saw them in singles was in this scenario. Obviously they're much better workers, apart from Neidhart, but that's not the point.

I've got no problem with Brian Christopher vs. Funaki in  TV match to fill time and extend a feud. I've no problem when WWE throw out Big E vs. Scott Dawson or whatever. As long as there's a purpose and it continues the rivalry, I think it's far more preferreable to them just running the same match over and over.

My biggest problem with it is when it goes 11 fucking minutes.

Nick Jackson wrestling a singles match is a mad thing to be angry about. That was great. It perfectly sold the story that LAX had injured Matt, advancing their feud, it put over Fenix for when he and Pentagon inevitably start their natural runs as single competitors and it delivered what was arguably one of the best TV matches of the last few years. I loved it!

That’s another thing I liked about this weeks show, actually; someone realised Trent shouldn’t be beating either of the Lucha Bros and they seemed to do a hard reset to put both of those talented bastards over. Shame about Chris Daniels suddenly looking old as fuck and botching that springboard moonsault thing, though. 

45 minutes ago, cobra_gordo said:

'In AEW we can do whatever we want. It's great. We don't have anyone to answer to' - Jon Moxley [paraphrased] recent interview.

I can only echo what other people have said about AEW's issues with heel/face dynamics. 

It is difficult to get emotionally invested in a story when there are no clear heels or faces. If a wrestler (or team) can't adapt their style to suit their face/heel persona then maybe they aren't that good to begin with. For example, I would expect a heel Pentagon to amend his style so that he doesn't get pops every move. The problem also seems to be (in the tag division) is that every match has  298794879 splashes, moonsaults etc that nothing matters anymore. One reason I have mainly given up on the company already is the fact I feel I have seen Private Party wrestle a million matches in just 10 weeks and each match is the same contrived shite as the last. 

They really need to stop relying on the same type of beat down style angle too. The first time it happened was brilliant but its becoming a trope with AEW and not in a good way. 

Their roster is stupidly thin on the ground. I am not a WWE fanboy but at least they have some guys that look and act like wrestlers taking the whole thing seriously. Even smaller guys like Pete Dunne look the business and make everything look brilliant. These guys need to slow the fuck down and work properly. 

I want this company to succeed I really do! I love Luchasaurus and Jungle Boy. Jericho will always be great and his relationship with Sammy G is gold. They really need to bring in some high quality talent though if they are going to continue competing. I personally would go for...

Briscoe Brothers, Marty Scurll, Jeff Cobb, Michael Elgin, Jacob Fatu, Sammy Callihan, Dragon Lee, Colt Cabana et al. Give some of them some unusual gimmicks and allow them to WRESTLE. God why don't they have a mid-card title with rounds as the key focus of matches - a bit World of Sport in the approach? They want to be different and that could be unique and add a different dynamic to matches. Get a bloody deal with NJPW and add Ospreay, Archer, Ibushi, White and Suzuki into the mix (if possible). They could do a short stint with talent sharing between companies - giving Jungle Boy et al the type of NJPW exposure and experience that would benefit the whole company. Get some decent Mexican guys in (again, same applies). THIS is what they should be doing. Make it must see with talent that know what the fuck they are doing! 

29 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

'In AEW we can do whatever we want. It's great. We don't have anyone to answer to' - Jon Moxley [paraphrased] recent interview.

I will never be swayed from the belief that heels/faces will always be the staple of wrestling. Sure we had 'cool' heels like HHH in 2000 and badass babyfaces like Austin in 1998 but these shouldn't be the rule. Good vs evil is the way to go, its the mainstay of tales forever! 

7 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

Get a bloody deal with NJPW and add Ospreay, Archer, Ibushi, White and Suzuki into the mix (if possible). They could do a short stint with talent sharing between companies - giving Jungle Boy et al the type of NJPW exposure and experience that would benefit the whole company. Get some decent Mexican guys in (again, same applies). THIS is what they should be doing. Make it must see with talent that know what the fuck they are doing! 

As someone who enjoys both NJPW and AEW I say this with all the respect in the world - I hope to god this never happens.

We've all seen how shit ROH became when it was overly reliant on New Japan people. Same with Impact relying way too much on talent from other companies. Fuck that.

AEW doesn't need another company to make them look good. They need to stand on their own two feet, learn from their mistakes and move forward with the talent pool they have. Sure, acquire a few more decent faces along the way but they DO have a good base right now.

Whilst I agree that they need to stand on their own feet they simply have a shallow talent pool and many they do have aren't all that good. I think intermittent working ww other promotions wouldn't be a bad thing. They need something to get eyeballs on the product and any est talent could help w that. 

7 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I personally would go for...

Briscoe Brothers, Marty Scurll, Jeff Cobb, Michael Elgin, Jacob Fatu, Sammy Callihan, Dragon Lee, Colt Cabana et al. Give some of them some unusual gimmicks and allow them to WRESTLE. 

Even if we skip the mad fantasy booking that ignores the fact that the people listed are literally contracted to AEW’s direct competition in ROH and Impact, ranting that AEW needs to let people WRESTLE is the most mental thing ever. That’s all they fucking do! Half the problem with the company is that people are just allowed to WRESTLE. The women’s division in particular is mostly shit for that very reason. Just women wrestlers having a WRESTLE for no rhyme or reason.

Between the teases on BTE and Jericho mentioning a, “Marty,” in his list, I really hope that’s confirmation that Scurll is coming in. Far better than wasting his career going nowhere for ROH and its dwindling audience. 

I know they’ve both become bad tropes for AEW but I’d love nothing more than for an episode of Dynamite to end with a wild Nitro brawl, for the lights to go out, and then Marty appears in the ring. I bet he’d get a huge pop.

17 minutes ago, Michael_3165 said:

I will never be swayed from the belief that heels/faces will always be the staple of wrestling. Sure we had 'cool' heels like HHH in 2000 and badass babyfaces like Austin in 1998 but these shouldn't be the rule. Good vs evil is the way to go, its the mainstay of tales forever! 

Cody himself has said he does not believe in heels v faces and he seems to be most coherent wrestling mind of all the VP's.
According to Meltz, the final say on all things creative is Tony Khan but all the top guys basically call their own shots.
Sadly, no matter how much of a fan he is, it's another money-mark in charge of a wrestling company and history tells us this does not end well. 

Ah can't think of anything more irritating than the lights out gimmick but I do think marty needs to come in. 

Thats why I said they should do a deal for most of those names. Be good for the other promotions in terms of exposure too.