Sign in to follow this  
Richie Freebird

Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

8 minutes ago, TheToeSucker said:

According to the dirty dirt sheets, WWE and Goldberg are not on speaking terms, with Vince being FURIOUS over Goldberg's "lack of empathy" 

Lack of empathy over what? Jimmy Uso? Why would/should Goldberg have any empathy over that!?

I watched that “Rebuilding Big Show” thing that went up on the Network yesterday to fill 20 minutes before bed last night.

At the end of it he gets medically cleared to return to the ring, but then they stick a thing up on screen about how he’d “relocated to Los Angeles to pursue new entertainment projects whilst remaining connected to the WWE Universe as WWE’s Special Olympics ambassador”. I guess there’s more acting than wrestling in the big man’s future.

Wonder if his character will have several changes of heart regarding his attitude towards his friends and co-workers throughout the series, most of them involving him crying.

Is rebuilding Big Show the story of his career from 2001 after Vince told everyone WCW didn't know how to book a Giant and then turned him into a JTTS  who did bad impressions?

Not sure if its news exactly but there's a new article on SPWC (Saigon Pro Wrestling Club) on the Vietnamese English language news site. I haven't been to any of their shows because they are on a Saturday when i'm working and a bit far away.

Without knocking them too much its very backyard at the moment apart from the main guy who wrestles as Rocky Huynh as he was part of the original group trained by DIck Togo I believe (although this isn't mentioned). They ran a few shows in Da Nang but then something went tits up as it often does with foreign/ local business ventures. Someone else then planned another promotion called New Vietnam Wrestling but that failed to start and now these guys are building from the bottom up. Training themselves and making purchases on a shoe string budget.

They don't yet have a ring which I have been told is not only because they can't afford one but because the local government don't really understand what it is so not using a ring avoids a lot of red tape. They have a mat with their logo. My main objection is that they are focused on quite dangerous moves and don't have any real story lines. Rocky Huynh seems to be quite into his indy ideas of movez and less story which in my opinion isn't perhaps the best fit for the general Vietnamese public who i'm sure would love a Vietnamese version of 80's wrestling with a bit of extra comedy. I did try to chat to them and offer help with translations, teaching a bit of English and communicating with people overseas but during the conversation I got asked for money straight away and they got very defensive when I said some of the moves looked really dangerously executed. I was probably overstepping the mark to be fair. Oh did I also mention they used some guys teenage girlfriend as a ring announcer and then promoted her return as something like "sexy/ hot girl....bla bla bla appearing" which creeped me out. 

I do hope the roster improves their body and look while the promotion makes a bit of cash to set up properly but I won't be going to see them for now.

Here's the article anyone is interested in pro wrestling from another area.

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/sports/20190731/saigon-men-nurture-dream-of-developing-american-professional-wrestling-in-vietnam/50830.html

A Vietnamese article with a few more photos and a video

http://webthethao.vn/vo-thuat-khac/nhap-tam-nhu-saigon-pro-wrestling-club-do-vat-di-an-cuoi-cung-ham-he-nhau-93420.htm

Defiant Wrestling closed its doors today. That’s a shame. Had some really fun events this past year. We had hellish fun sorting out some after parties for them, so yeah, shame to see them call it a day.

5DC5A894-153B-48E0-A0B4-CD1D4E5B85C8.jpeg

47 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Defiant Wrestling closed its doors today. That’s a shame. Had some really fun events this past year. We had hellish fun sorting out some after parties for them, so yeah, shame to see them call it a day.

5DC5A894-153B-48E0-A0B4-CD1D4E5B85C8.jpeg

Damn shame, I saw a couple of the Defiant shows here. The last one was with The Bastard Pac.

I wasn't a big fan of WCPW/Definat; the crowds were mostly lukewarm, if not dead, for the majority of the matches. Same crowd chanted, "You're just a shit Jack Swagger" at Pete Dunne. And their tech guy once cut off Minoru Suzuki's music before the big "KAZE NI NARE!!!", which is a crime of the highest order. 

Still, it's a shame to see a promotion go down. One less place to get paid, one less place to get noticed, and it sucks for the fans of that area as they brought in a lot of big names. Hell, I even have the David Starr vs PAC match from earlier this year in my recommended matches list.

How much of this can be linked to NXT-UK and Trip's "Global Localisation"?

Edited by Accident Prone

Just now, Accident Prone said:

How much of this can be linked to NXT-UK and Trip's "Global Localisation"?

Hard to say.

From them losing the What Culture name, to YouTube changing how (and which) videos are monetised seriously affecting their bottom line, I'm surprised Defiant lasted as long as they did. That they never really seemed to cultivate the kind of audience that would stick around once the big names were gone meant that they likely couldn't adapt well enough to running on a smaller scale.

Ultimately, the companies that will be hit hard by NXT UK will be those who rely on "name" talent and little more. The key to longevity in wrestling is cultivating a brand identity and a loyal fanbase. If you don't have that, and a Pete Dunne or a Travis Banks is the difference between whether or not you break even on your next show, you're going to struggle when you lose those names. If you do have it, and ideally also have the foresight to build up your next tier of talent while the top guys are still there, NXT UK isn't something to worry about. 

I just don't think Defiant ever really had an identity, particularly after they stopped being WCPW.

I'm not too sure on what Defiant's fan base was, so I can't really comment if they suffered from not having the new talent ready to go once those WWE restrictions came into play.

The YouTube show being demonetised definitely would have hit them where it hurts. But then again, AIW and Beyond were hit hard by that and they still seem to be going, however they've spent the time to invest in under-the-radar guys and girls to take the place of those leaving.