Jump to content
Richie Freebird

Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Recommended Posts

35 minutes ago, Grecian said:

Austin did something similar at a Hall of Fame ceremoney. He was inducting someone (Bret Hart, possibly) and made a throwaway comment about looking for something backstage and 'found a can of whup-ass with Hulk Hogan's name on it'. Think that was Mania 22 as well.

Yeah it was, although he was just teasing to get the fans excited, it is well known that he was (and presume still is) dead set against working with Hogan dating back to 2002 when the NWO came in.

Edited by Otto Dem Wanz

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It dates back further than that to their WCW days, as far as I know. 

I think he's since said that he regrets not working with Hogan at X8 when he had the chance, or at least that he isn't as dead set against it as he was.

With hindsight it seems like a mad decision, but I don't necessarily blame Austin - Hogan had been washed up, and damaged goods, for years. I don't think anyone knew he was going to manage the match he had with The Rock. And I remember Austin saying, "there's no way I was taking a Leg Drop with my neck, and he wasn't taking a Stunner with his knees".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BomberPat said:

And I remember Austin saying, "there's no way I was taking a Leg Drop with my neck, and he wasn't taking a Stunner with his knees".

He could've taken it like his buddy Scott did:

wwe discover GIF

Beautiful.

(well ok, there's no way Hogan was flying back with that kind of bump either!)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Grecian said:

Austin did something similar at a Hall of Fame ceremoney. He was inducting someone (Bret Hart, possibly) and made a throwaway comment about looking for something backstage and 'found a can of whup-ass with Hulk Hogan's name on it'. Think that was Mania 22 as well.

One of my favourite moments of any Hall of Fame was that night during Bret's speech, when he mentions Hogan saying, "And Hulk, you know....he could always stir up shit", with Hulk sitting right behind him, and the camera cuts right to him, and he has a look on his face like he just found out his wife was getting nobbed by a 19 year old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It seemed unquestionable at the time that Rock and Austin would both have singles matches at Mania, but I wonder whether in hindsight they'd consider doing the Austin/Rock v nWo handicap match at Mania, and save Hogan/Rock and Hogan/Austin for SummerSlam and Survivor Series that year.

If Hogan's in a tag at Mania then maybe the crowd wouldn't have turned him face in the same way, and the nWo would likely have persisted at least into the summer with the original three members. Also maybe Austin wouldn't have grown as frustrated with creative in the summer of 02 if he knew he'd be doing box office with Hogan later in the year, and so maybe Austin's in-ring career would've been extended by another year or two. Mad to think how different those years could've been if they'd been a little more strategic with the book.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

It dates back further than that to their WCW days, as far as I know. 

I think he's since said that he regrets not working with Hogan at X8 when he had the chance, or at least that he isn't as dead set against it as he was.

With hindsight it seems like a mad decision, but I don't necessarily blame Austin - Hogan had been washed up, and damaged goods, for years. I don't think anyone knew he was going to manage the match he had with The Rock. And I remember Austin saying, "there's no way I was taking a Leg Drop with my neck, and he wasn't taking a Stunner with his knees".

Was Hogan at X8 ever on the table for Austin? I thought The Rock got given that gig and that was that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Austin has said multiple times that there is no way he'd have ever jobbed to Hogan if the match did happen and that he doesn't think a match between them would have been any good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Mr Kennedy said:

Was Hogan at X8 ever on the table for Austin? I thought The Rock got given that gig and that was that. 

I'm not saying it's gospel just cos Meltzer said it, but this is from the 24/6/02 WON, right when Austin left for 6 months:

 He was against bringing Kevin Nash, Scott Hall and Hulk Hogan in, and refused to work with Hogan at Wrestlemania when it was suggested to him. He wasn't happy working with Hall, and preferred to work with Angle, but went along with it grudgingly

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Factotum said:

Austin did wrestle Hogan as part of a tag match with The Rock on RAW. Ashame that was all they had.

I don't think they even shared the ring in that match, as far as I can remember.

I've talked about that match before, but it shows how mental WWE were in 2002, and how they must have thought they were untouchable and the good times would never end.

Less than a week before Wrestlemania, they fuck off the chance to say "Hulk Hogan's first match in a WWF ring for X years", and do Rock & Austin vs. the nWo as a sub-10 minute match on RAW - nWo vs. WWF, five of the biggest stars of the '90s in one ring...PPV main event? Nah, stick it on TV. 

Hogan turns face at 'Mania, and they do the Hogan/Rock super-babyface team against Nash & Hall the following night. X-Pac joins, and they do Hogan & Rock vs. Nash, Hall & X-Pac the next week. Throw Kane into the mix, and we get another Hogan and Rock vs. nWo tag the same week on Smackdown. 

A good six months to a year's worth of PPV main events, or big matches at least, pissed away on TV in the space of a fortnight, but by the PPV after Wrestlemania the nWo are fucking about with Bradshaw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Mr Kennedy said:

Was Hogan at X8 ever on the table for Austin? I thought The Rock got given that gig and that was that. 

Pritchard said they debated Austin or Rock and felt Rock would get the best out of him and that leaves Austin there for next year....

6 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I don't think they even shared the ring in that match, as far as I can remember.

I've talked about that match before, but it shows how mental WWE were in 2002, and how they must have thought they were untouchable and the good times would never end.

Less than a week before Wrestlemania, they fuck off the chance to say "Hulk Hogan's first match in a WWF ring for X years", and do Rock & Austin vs. the nWo as a sub-10 minute match on RAW - nWo vs. WWF, five of the biggest stars of the '90s in one ring...PPV main event? Nah, stick it on TV. 

Hogan turns face at 'Mania, and they do the Hogan/Rock super-babyface team against Nash & Hall the following night. X-Pac joins, and they do Hogan & Rock vs. Nash, Hall & X-Pac the next week. Throw Kane into the mix, and we get another Hogan and Rock vs. nWo tag the same week on Smackdown. 

A good six months to a year's worth of PPV main events, or big matches at least, pissed away on TV in the space of a fortnight, but by the PPV after Wrestlemania the nWo are fucking about with Bradshaw.

They did in fact for about 50 seconds, just Hogan beating on Austin, one of my favorite minutes in pro Wrestling history purely because of what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, BomberPat said:

I don't think they even shared the ring in that match, as far as I can remember.

I've talked about that match before, but it shows how mental WWE were in 2002, and how they must have thought they were untouchable and the good times would never end.

Less than a week before Wrestlemania, they fuck off the chance to say "Hulk Hogan's first match in a WWF ring for X years", and do Rock & Austin vs. the nWo as a sub-10 minute match on RAW - nWo vs. WWF, five of the biggest stars of the '90s in one ring...PPV main event? Nah, stick it on TV. 

Hogan turns face at 'Mania, and they do the Hogan/Rock super-babyface team against Nash & Hall the following night. X-Pac joins, and they do Hogan & Rock vs. Nash, Hall & X-Pac the next week. Throw Kane into the mix, and we get another Hogan and Rock vs. nWo tag the same week on Smackdown. 

A good six months to a year's worth of PPV main events, or big matches at least, pissed away on TV in the space of a fortnight, but by the PPV after Wrestlemania the nWo are fucking about with Bradshaw.

I reckon they didn't know how long all those guys would last, and in retrospect they were right.  Hall and Austin were gone in months, Nash blew a quad.  Ironically Hogan was the one with his working boots on.

That Hogan run was amazing.  He really worked hard, had great matches and put people over.  He MADE Lesnar with that blade job and submission.

The guy deserved a proper send off, should have retired at the end of that contact.  By the time he came back to wrestle Michaels the injuries had emptied his tank.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, TildeGuy~! said:

Sasha Banks has been learning how to wrestle in Japan with Sendai Girls

D_CJxG6UcAEHaXV?format=jpg&name=large

Has she left WWE?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Purple hair suggests she's on her way back...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...