Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

3 hours ago, Keith Houchen said:

Look forward to the BREWDOG Ultras calling him a sellout.

I bought some stock in it when the Equity for Punks thing first came to my country. Was it a mistake? I didn't buy the whole punk thing at all, and their so-called perks can get bent, but I haven't lost any money on them (yet).

On topic: The moment you call something you've made yourself 'Punk/Punk Rock', it cannot actually be it anymore. The most punk rock wrestling 'show' was Larry Sweeney in the parking lot near a WM. It was soooo shitty and he was sooo excited that it was definitly punk rock.

Edited by Whistling Skull

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I've never been to a Progress show, wish I had in the early years. Recently went to the Kaiju Big Battel pre-show at Alexandra Palace, as I'd enjoyed what little I'd got to see from their stuff in the US, and wasn't going to miss a chance to see them in the UK that previously I'd thought would never happen. Smallman joined in with the promoter/announcer to work the crowd in between matches for the comedy bits and bobs, and I found him very funny. Quite charismatic, although that Brum accent with a smart-arse inflection immediately made me think he was Spud's non-wrestling brother.

I've never minded Jim as an MC, but the longer PROGRESS went on, I found the longer his shtick would drag on at the start of a show, because who's there to tell him otherwise to reign it in? I certainly won't miss it.

It was at its worse during this years SSS:16. You spend an hour in line to get good seats because of the baffling stubbornness to introduce reserved seating, then you wait 2 hours inside Alexandra Palace sitting on your hands until the show begins, and then he takes about 10 minutes making his introduction to about three different fucking songs, and then goes ahead and takes up a good 20 minutes waffling on whilst everyone except the diehards completely lose their patience. If I remember correctly, on the third day, when they did the "Wasteman Challenge", the first bell didn't ring until about 5:10pm for a show that "started" at 4pm.

5 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Something about the way he's addressed it makes me think he may be stepping away from wrestling altogether, rather than going to WWE.

What would he do if he stepped away from wrestling all together? He already quit the stand up circuit when he got the NXT UK job.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, King Pitcos said:

Not.

He’s from somewhere in the midlands but not Birmingham. Leicester, maybe?

Yeah, just checked his Wiki. It's very odd, though, because I've heard the Leicester accent quite a few times, and he didn't sound like it. And there were a few "twists" to some of the phonemes he enunciated that I got used to hearing from TAFKA Spud. There was one bit when he'd just come out and was taking a look around at the Big Battel set-up (it is a little trippy), and just said "Have I died?" in a way that immediately sounded like Senor Maverick.

1 hour ago, AdamTH17 said:

I've never minded Jim as an MC, but the longer PROGRESS went on, I found the longer his shtick would drag on at the start of a show, because who's there to tell him otherwise to reign it in? I certainly won't miss it.

It was at its worse during this years SSS:16. You spend an hour in line to get good seats because of the baffling stubbornness to introduce reserved seating, then you wait 2 hours inside Alexandra Palace sitting on your hands until the show begins, and then he takes about 10 minutes making his introduction to about three different fucking songs, and then goes ahead and takes up a good 20 minutes waffling on whilst everyone except the diehards completely lose their patience. If I remember correctly, on the third day, when they did the "Wasteman Challenge", the first bell didn't ring until about 5:10pm for a show that "started" at 4pm.

I fully accept that it's very likely because it was the first time I'd ever seen him perform, and wasn't used to his shtick, that I enjoyed it more than a Progress regular. A bit like how I still enjoyed Bray Wyatt's work because I'd catch the odd bit of WWE every so often and didn't really have a chance to get sick of him.

• Paid Members
7 hours ago, Carbomb said:

Yeah, just checked his Wiki. It's very odd, though, because I've heard the Leicester accent quite a few times, and he didn't sound like it. And there were a few "twists" to some of the phonemes he enunciated that I got used to hearing from TAFKA Spud.

I'm from Leicester and have just watched a clip of him. I agree with you. If he's a Leicester lad, then he's shed the distinctive features and replaced them with ones typical of elsewhere. His pronunciation of 'yesterday' sounds very West Midlands to me, for example.

I don't think it's much of a mystery. If you stop pronouncing a word in your native accent, your new pronunciation is going to sound like someone else's. Back when my Leicester accent was disappearing in different stages, people used to ask me whether I was an Aussie, presumably because my accent had become impossible to place and a couple of words had adjusted to sound like they were spoken by a Bruce. (I never developed the annoying Australian Question Intonation, though? The one that makes every statement sound like a question?)

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Snitsky's back acne said:

D-Von's got one gnarly forehead!

He has for well over a decade now

2 hours ago, ElCece said:

My word what the fuck have I just watched 

Something better then about 90% of WWE Studio films?