Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

7 hours ago, Yakashi said:

Nah. Not now there’s a “war” going on. Wwe have already issued the following statement:

Jonathan Fatu is responsible for his own personal actions

That is the worst type of "sweeping under the rug" attitude, especially from a company with the finances to support their staff.

Most tier 1 companies in Aus have a large number of support services if this were to happen. E.g. free psychology appointments, free courses and sick leave protocol etc.

Wouldn't it be nice if WWE actually said "although Jonathan Fatu is responsible for his own actions, we are working with him in light of recent actions with wwes own support services." 

Show you fucking care. Is this linked to depression? Is there some sort of support WWE can give him to prevent this? Maybe place him onto some sort of mutually agreed alcohol ban during tours?

Nah. Sweep it under the rug.

To be fair it's a blanket company statement offered to the media as a quick fix. They may be considering more of a long term approach with him now it has happened again. They've worked with plenty of current and former stars to help in ways. I certainly hope they will with him too.

• Paid Members

I watched that “Rebuilding Big Show” thing that went up on the Network yesterday to fill 20 minutes before bed last night.

At the end of it he gets medically cleared to return to the ring, but then they stick a thing up on screen about how he’d “relocated to Los Angeles to pursue new entertainment projects whilst remaining connected to the WWE Universe as WWE’s Special Olympics ambassador”. I guess there’s more acting than wrestling in the big man’s future.

Not sure if its news exactly but there's a new article on SPWC (Saigon Pro Wrestling Club) on the Vietnamese English language news site. I haven't been to any of their shows because they are on a Saturday when i'm working and a bit far away.

Without knocking them too much its very backyard at the moment apart from the main guy who wrestles as Rocky Huynh as he was part of the original group trained by DIck Togo I believe (although this isn't mentioned). They ran a few shows in Da Nang but then something went tits up as it often does with foreign/ local business ventures. Someone else then planned another promotion called New Vietnam Wrestling but that failed to start and now these guys are building from the bottom up. Training themselves and making purchases on a shoe string budget.

They don't yet have a ring which I have been told is not only because they can't afford one but because the local government don't really understand what it is so not using a ring avoids a lot of red tape. They have a mat with their logo. My main objection is that they are focused on quite dangerous moves and don't have any real story lines. Rocky Huynh seems to be quite into his indy ideas of movez and less story which in my opinion isn't perhaps the best fit for the general Vietnamese public who i'm sure would love a Vietnamese version of 80's wrestling with a bit of extra comedy. I did try to chat to them and offer help with translations, teaching a bit of English and communicating with people overseas but during the conversation I got asked for money straight away and they got very defensive when I said some of the moves looked really dangerously executed. I was probably overstepping the mark to be fair. Oh did I also mention they used some guys teenage girlfriend as a ring announcer and then promoted her return as something like "sexy/ hot girl....bla bla bla appearing" which creeped me out. 

I do hope the roster improves their body and look while the promotion makes a bit of cash to set up properly but I won't be going to see them for now.

Here's the article anyone is interested in pro wrestling from another area.

https://tuoitrenews.vn/news/sports/20190731/saigon-men-nurture-dream-of-developing-american-professional-wrestling-in-vietnam/50830.html

A Vietnamese article with a few more photos and a video

http://webthethao.vn/vo-thuat-khac/nhap-tam-nhu-saigon-pro-wrestling-club-do-vat-di-an-cuoi-cung-ham-he-nhau-93420.htm

47 minutes ago, Kaz Hayashi said:

Defiant Wrestling closed its doors today. That’s a shame. Had some really fun events this past year. We had hellish fun sorting out some after parties for them, so yeah, shame to see them call it a day.

5DC5A894-153B-48E0-A0B4-CD1D4E5B85C8.jpeg

Damn shame, I saw a couple of the Defiant shows here. The last one was with The Bastard Pac.