Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

59 minutes ago, Mr.Showtime said:

That looks like something that would be a joke trailer only and not an actual full-length thing...

It's not an actual full-length thing, is it?

Don't panic it is indeed just a mock trailer 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, wandshogun09 said:

Maybe WWE will bring him in and Brock can get his win back. Although, I did think Brock’s selling in the first match was a bit over the top. 

7DE2B2DF-64DA-4E5A-8C91-BC4E2AA32229.gif

It’s hypnotising. Like Hogan/Michaels at Summerslam

• Paid Members

Velasquez was great fun - clearly committed to learning; he hit a fun springboard arm drag too, though it was largely downhill from there. The remainder of his offence was some pretty poor strikes, and some judo takedowns with very little "sizzle" to them, and a lot of standing around awkwardly not knowing what to do. But for a first match, he was great, and with exactly the right kind of opponents to make him look good - and all anyone will be talking about was him unexpectedly doing some lucha, rather than just faux-MMA, so the weaker points are all academic, really.

He's apparently signed on for a couple more matches with AAA, and they've teased a trios match that will have him on the opposite side of the ring to L.A. Park. What a time to be alive.

How awesome would it be if he'd done the old Mr America/Hulk Hogan gimmick? Showing up in wrestling under a mask, and still competing in MMA while completely no-selling the wrestling thing? 

"Pro wrestling? I'm a contracted UFC fighter, I'm not doing pro wrestling. I have no idea who that guy is."

Have Dana White doing a lie detector test on ESPN, show him getting all flummoxed when the interviewer asks him if he fucked about with Ronda Rousey during her early UFC days.

I genuinely loved the Mr America angle.  When was the last time anyone did the mask angle, was that the last time?  I know John Cena appeared as Juan Cena one time but as a sustained angle I always think it's fantastic.

31 minutes ago, Loki said:

I genuinely loved the Mr America angle.  When was the last time anyone did the mask angle, was that the last time?  I know John Cena appeared as Juan Cena one time but as a sustained angle I always think it's fantastic.

They did something like it with Elias when he was still in NXT and he lost a Loser Leaves Match.

Last person I remember doing it on main roster was after CM Punk got his head shaved after losing to Rey Mysterio

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Loki said:

I'm fucking gutted they didn't go with the Juan Cena angle after he was fired in...late 2010? They could've had a mariachi band playing his theme and everything, it's perfect for that kind of theme.

Don't know if this has been reported anywhere else but Oriental Wrestling Entertainment has 5 shows booked over here in September.
18-19th September at The Dome in London.
20th to the 22nd September at The Black-E in Liverpool.

Heard good things but never seen OWE so might pop along to one of the Liverpool shows and check them out.

• Paid Members
21 hours ago, Loki said:

I don't know if I've got this exactly right, but didn't Dean Malenko return under the Ciclope mask in wCw? Or was that meant to be a mystery until the reveal?

I'm pretty sure that someone else did do the whole "obvious identity under a mask to wind someone up" gimmick before, but it's eluding me at the mo.

• Paid Members

Malenko was only Ciclope in that one Battle Royal. Ciclope was ordinarily portrayed by Halloween, and was never presented as a "mystery" masked man.

I love the "Charlie Brown From Outta Town" masked man angle, though. The beauty of it is that it's always the most recognisable man on the roster doing it - Hogan, Andre, Dusty, Jimmy Valiant, Junkyard Dog. Brilliant stuff.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

Malenko was only Ciclope in that one Battle Royal. Ciclope was ordinarily portrayed by Halloween, and was never presented as a "mystery" masked man.

I love the "Charlie Brown From Outta Town" masked man angle, though. The beauty of it is that it's always the most recognisable man on the roster doing it - Hogan, Andre, Dusty, Jimmy Valiant, Junkyard Dog. Brilliant stuff.

I absolutely loved the late 90’s Blue Blazer version. The fact both Jeff & Owen were involved was fantastic stuff.