Minor news items that don't deserve a thread

Richie Freebird

• Paid Members
On 8/12/2019 at 8:12 PM, Snitsky's back acne said:

Another casualty of WWE's expansion into the UK?

Indirectly in that it's pushed up the fees a lot of the wrestlers charge and it's not a promotion that's in a position to raise prices. But the main reasons given are the three guys running it are all too busy in their "real lives", and that they have struggled with venues: they sell out their smaller regular ones, but anything bigger round here either won't touch wrestling or is way too expensive to hire unless you're charging MMA-like ticket prices.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, JNLister said:

Indirectly in that it's pushed up the fees a lot of the wrestlers charge and it's not a promotion that's in a position to raise prices. But the main reasons given are the three guys running it are all too busy in their "real lives", and that they have struggled with venues: they sell out their smaller regular ones, but anything bigger round here either won't touch wrestling or is way too expensive to hire unless you're charging MMA-like ticket prices.

That seems to be a recurring, under-discussed, problem in a lot of places. Certainly in much of London, there's a huge price gulf between your 100-200 capacity venues and  your 200-300 capacity, that wouldn't be covered by a reasonable ticket price increase. 

Between that, and wrestlers being able to charge more for their services, in many ways we're starting to see the "BritWres Boom" become a victim of its own success.

Edited by BomberPat

• Paid Members
57 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

That seems to be a recurring, under-discussed, problem in a lot of places. Certainly in much of London, there's a huge price gulf between your 100-200 capacity venues and  your 200-300 capacity, that wouldn't be covered by a reasonable price increase. 

Between that, and wrestlers being able to charge more for their services, in many ways we're starting to see the "BritWres Boom" become a victim of its own success.

And rightfully so. Pete Dunn and Ospreay were on a show I was involved in, probably 2010/11 and were paid petrol money. He was in a car with 3 wrestlers to make travelling from the midlands to Essex more reasonable. Ain't nobody living like that, yet it was seen as acceptable back then because the show was just about covering it's costs.  Reason I never tried to get into promoting

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

And rightfully so. Pete Dunn and Ospreay were on a show I was involved in, probably 2010/11 and were paid petrol money. He was in a car with 3 wrestlers to make travelling from the midlands to Essex more reasonable. Ain't nobody living like that, yet it was seen as acceptable back then because the show was just about covering it's costs.  Reason I never tried to get into promoting

Oh, absolutely. The "name" wrestlers being able to make decent money is what a boom period should be about - we want them to be able to make money, make a full-time living from wrestling, and give back to the scene. 

The promotions that struggle (and that create the sense of the "boom" being over) are those that we're seeing now struggle to keep things ticking over as those costs go up, because as a promoter you want to keep using the name talent, but it's not always viable to accommodate that elsewhere - venues being unaffordable, it not being viable to increase ticket prices, and so on. I think what we're seeing now is less the end of a boom period and more a period of adjustment, with all these factors in play.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, BomberPat said:

Oh, absolutely. The "name" wrestlers being able to make decent money is what a boom period should be about - we want them to be able to make money, make a full-time living from wrestling, and give back to the scene. 

The promotions that struggle (and that create the sense of the "boom" being over) are those that we're seeing now struggle to keep things ticking over as those costs go up, because as a promoter you want to keep using the name talent, but it's not always viable to accommodate that elsewhere - venues being unaffordable, it not being viable to increase ticket prices, and so on. I think what we're seeing now is less the end of a boom period and more a period of adjustment, with all these factors in play.

it's a shame so many indies die out, but that is business. I used to go to school with Sha Samuels (he was a year below but was in his sisters class). I remember him showing me some footage of him training at a wrestling school (Dropkixx maybe?) back in 2003. He struggle for years which is why he had the butchers shop. To see him now starting to be able to make a living. 

I always knew Will would find success. He is a bit of a tool in real life, but he had the ability very few lacked. Funnily enough, it was Pete, who used to look like a Regal/Danielson tribute act that would go nowhere. Amazing what a few years and growing your hair out can do.

• Paid Members

I remember a friend telling me back in maybe 2011/12 that he thought Pete Dunne was the best wrestler in the UK, and me thinking, "PeteReally? The chubbier one of the Dunne Brothers?". Could not have been more wrong.

Will, meanwhile, I saw as half of Swords of Essex against Project Ego in 2013, and remember thinking, "oh, these lads are good. Can probably find a nice niche for themselves as a good old-fashioned babyface tag team". 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I remember a friend telling me back in maybe 2011/12 that he thought Pete Dunne was the best wrestler in the UK, and me thinking, "PeteReally? The chubbier one of the Dunne Brothers?". Could not have been more wrong.

Will, meanwhile, I saw as half of Swords of Essex against Project Ego in 2013, and remember thinking, "oh, these lads are good. Can probably find a nice niche for themselves as a good old-fashioned babyface tag team". 

I mean, he didn't really stand out for me, but Will was flip flopping in his matches like he was in MSG rather then a school sports hall that had been hired for 150 people, so it's possible I was distracted. Unfortunatly most of the footage recorded was lost

Though found this match of Ospreay and Jack Sexsmith (I may or may not be in this clip)

I found a Pete Dunne match!

Edited by Hannibal Scorch

For me I couldn't be more proud and happy for both zac Gibson and James drake..... I started training when I was 14 at futureshock in Manchester and zac came to training quite often and also was a massive main stay for the futureshock shows for years and I have always seen him as one of the best and I know personally how hard he has worked for it all.  The really crazy one for me however is James who I actually went to high school with and grew up with round our little seaside town of St Anne's.   I actually got to briefly catch up with both of them at download and genuinely couldn't be prouder of them both 

• 3 weeks later...

According to Meltzer, Ric Flair is threatening legal action over WWE's use of 'The Man'.
He is requesting royalties and notes that Charlotte is pissed off with him for filing a trademark application for 'The Man'.

Apparently his request for royalties is so that his family are financially taken care of after he dies.
Perhaps if he had not pissed away the millions he made from wrestling they would be anyway.