CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Chili said:

If you feel it's immoral to watch wrestling because of some of the types involved, and don't eat certain bread because of a CEO or because a musician is difficult then you have to be hard-line about everything surely. No exceptions. Some drugs are illegal, so you'd have to be against anyone or any art influenced by that surely too. Absolutely any company that's ethically difficult in the past would be a no go? That's practically nearly everything. For what? I don't think anyone would be impressed and it just affects the one person. You'd be denying yourself of everything bar Daniel O'Donnell records. 

I don't think that's fair - drugs being illegal would only present an issue if your morality is exactly in line with the law, which I'd suggest nobody's really is. Like with everything else, it's about where the line is drawn, and it seems like @tiger_rick's line is drawn in a fairly rational place, which is not wanting to financially support anyone he feels was complicit in the crimes of Vince McMahon, and it's reasonable to assume that's a wide net that would cover most of WWE's management structure at least.

Death Of The Author and all that, but it's reasonably cut and dry when financial gain is part of the equation. Very different not buying a book from a racist author who continues to profit from it, compared to buying a book by HP Lovecraft, who was undoubtedly a staggeringly racist bigot, but isn't around to benefit from the sales of his work any more, so questions about the content and its implications can be dealt with in a far more academic and less knee-jerk emotive or reactionary way.

I’m a Celtic supporter who has spent multiple thousands following them over the years. I absolutely hate the way our current board are legally handling a sensitive topic of what happened at a Boys Club we used years ago. Should I give it all up after 30+ years because a legal team made a decision I don’t morally agree with? I love the club itself not the guys running it.

The same logic applies to wrestling. People shouldn’t need to just give up something they love because some people made a decision that doesn’t fit them morally. By all means be critical of those individuals or the company involved but to get almost offended that others don’t want to give it up just because you do is nonsense.

Nobody has a perfect moral compass and acting like you do doesn’t make a difference.

Edited by FUM

I was down the pub with my mate Peter and someone ran in and said we need to read the CM Punk thread. 

Rick is right, it’s a matter of consistency innit. If you’re pissed off at Punk for not calling out the alleged actions of his former boss in one company then you had to be pissed off with him for not calling out the alleged actions of fellow employees in another company. Otherwise it really looks like tribal bollocks (Which is a great name for Reigns stable). 

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Otherwise it really looks like tribal bollocks (Which is a great name for Reigns stable). 

Or just a storyline label. "Bobby Lashley had no interest in working a tribal bollocks feud with Reigns, having narrowly escaped a spooky bollocks one with Wyatt in the spring."

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Who the fuck is the Walter White guy?

Didn't they spend about 3 seasons detailing his origin story and descent into criminality? 

The issue I often have with AEW is that they announce "Heisenberg to wrestle Danielson at next PPV" and the announcers go OMG Heisenberg, and expect you to have watched all of Breaking Bad.

A little vignette showing him selling crank and dissolving people in bathtubs isn't going to hurt the integrity of the product that much.

• Paid Members
21 minutes ago, Loki said:

Didn't they spend about 3 seasons detailing his origin story and descent into criminality? 

The issue I often have with AEW is that they announce "Heisenberg to wrestle Danielson at next PPV" and the announcers go OMG Heisenberg, and expect you to have watched all of Breaking Bad.

A little vignette showing him selling crank and dissolving people in bathtubs isn't going to hurt the integrity of the product that much.

Most of the time they do. Either on the prior episode or as they did on Collision this week, near the beginning to hype up the main event. They were awful at it before (someone mention Butcher and Blade earlier, same when Dark Order debuted originally), but it is something they have definitely been working on.

• Paid Members
24 minutes ago, Loki said:

I do think this is a valid criticism of AEW, and one that they have improved with as they go along, but I get the impression that a lot of the people who say "who is this guy? Why should I care?" aren't actually watching the show, they're just watching Tony Khan's Twitter account. They attack the match announcement on Twitter, as if that's the be-all and end-all, that it won't be further explored on TV. 

As far as comparing that to Breaking Bad, it's like watching with your Mam who asks, "who's he, then?" the first time Jesse appears on-screen.

Edited by BomberPat

17 minutes ago, Loki said:

I don't have a problem with the introductions. It's the follow up. Which is often non-existant with the people from other promotions and sometimes even within AEW.

4 guys debut in the crowd sitting together. Commentary tell you who they are and why you should care. 2000 and its Radicalz that people end up caring about because they become regulars on TV. The debut becomes memorable because of the careers they go onto have with the WWF/E.

2024 its 4 guys you barely remember from a month ago that spent 2 weeks on TV at best before disappearing back to CMLL.

I think it's important to remember that a lot of people will have childhood memories of watching WWE, maybe memories of watching it with loved ones, or memories of watching it when going through the usual pains of growing up, and so people might find comfort in it still. That doesn't dismiss the horrible things that people involved in that company have done, but if watching WWE or being a fan of it helps someone get through the day then I'd find it hard to begrudge anyone that. 

I've signed up to the WWE Network and I've been watching more WWE lately than I have in ages because I'm trying to cope with a death and for whatever reason watching some WWE has brought me a little escapism (I suspect its just the comfort of retreating into something that reminds me of more innocent times) but that doesn't mean that I don't find the recent revelations troubling. And maybe that's selfish of me, when the company has brought harm to other people, but its distracted me from some pretty harmful thoughts, and while I might not believe that I'm worth much at the moment, if it's done the same to others than I'd find it hard to think any less of them.