CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

1 minute ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The roster has been bloated like Bloaty McBloatface since day one and continues to be. I don't see the outcry that Saint Tone has signed yet more people he doesn't know how to book effectively. Besides Punk AEW signed 26 other wrestlers in 2021, yet its Punk's fault that the roster was becoming bloated. Start up a thread calling Fuego Del Sol a cunt and you might have a point. Do you and the other AEW fans share an equal ambivalence to the 29 wrestlers Tony signed in 2022 or the 19 in 2023? I know I was beside myself with excitement when Stu Grayson became All Elite. 

So you're not an AEW fan? I know Scorch is a big fan, but you don't seem to be and ergo you'll never find a mutual ground here really will ya. Yeah I know, discussion forum and everything like.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The roster has been bloated like Bloaty McBloatface since day one and continues to be. I don't see the outcry that Saint Tone has signed yet more people he doesn't know how to book effectively. Besides Punk AEW signed 26 other wrestlers in 2021, yet its Punk's fault that the roster was becoming bloated. Start up a thread calling Fuego Del Sol a cunt and you might have a point. Do you and the other AEW fans share an equal ambivalence to the 29 wrestlers Tony signed in 2022 or the 19 in 2023? I know I was beside myself with excitement when Stu Grayson became All Elite. 

Utter nonsense. The roster first started to become bloated after the 2020 WWE releases and continued to get more bloated, but to say it was since it's inception is hyperbole. Nowhere did I say Punk coming in was his fault the roster was bloated, but it's true that when you sign Punk, Danielson and Adam Cole, they are going to be pushed to the top, and those guys who were already there will suffer as a consequence. He didn't sign 29 top guys in 2022 or 19 in 2023, most are mid to low carders and surely them getting regular work/pay is a good thing?

@Devon Malcolm https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1316068/cm-punk-details-beginning-issues-aew-adam-page-elite-feud/ this breaks it down and was on the road to All Out 2022 when it all kicked off literally

Edited by Hannibal Scorch
Devon link

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Chili said:

So you're not an AEW fan? I know Scorch is a big fan, but you don't seem to be and ergo you'll never find a mutual ground here really will ya. Yeah I know, discussion forum and everything like.

I am an AEW fan as much as I am a fan of any wrestling. I find both of the "Big Two" equally frustrating at times, and equally thrilling at times. Danielson would be in my top 5 favourite wrestlers of all time, I love Joe and Swerve, and I have an odd fondness for Billy Gunn and The Acclaimed who would not normally be down my strasse at all. I'm not the sort of AEW fan that goes out of my way to call Ice Cube's lad a cunt for not knowing who Orange Cassidy is though. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

@Devon Malcolm https://www.wrestlinginc.com/1316068/cm-punk-details-beginning-issues-aew-adam-page-elite-feud/ this breaks it down and was on the road to All Out 2022 when it all kicked off literally

Thanks. So I have to ask - what were AEW fans pissed off about exactly?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I hope you don't think I'm trying to 'Gotcha' you or anything, we've known each other a long time. And of course, it was 15 years ago, we're all different.

I'm just making the point that it's not as cut and dry as you make out. I'm glad you work in a capacity that keeps you away from people you would rather not associate with but avoiding absolutely everything and everyone that might not sit well with you, either in the workplace or recreationally, is more or less impossible unless you go and live in a cave for the rest of your life. Everyone has their own line in the sand.

That's fine and it doesn't need a gotcha. I was still a big fan until 4-5 years ago. Of wrestling, not Marlon King. Long past the point I knew about many of the atrocities in the industry. I'm ashamed of that looking back but it's nothing you can change.

I think it is cut and dry. You either know about this stuff or you don't. And if you do, then you do what you want. I'd love everyone to never buy another ticket to watch this shit but I'm realistic enough to know it isn't ever going to happen. So watch if you want to watch. But don't defend it. There is no defence for it. There's no defence for popping into the Vince McMahon thread to show how awful you think it is, and then pop up in the Royal Rumble thread minutes later to talk about fucking Cody or Roman. You can't pretend you care about the welfare of people in the industry, particularly women, while continuing to support it. That's a nonsense. 

If the Marlon King thing happened tomorrow, I'm absolutely certain I wouldn't go to a game while he was involved. Why would anyone? We have a choice. 

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

From what point? I'm terrible with timelines and that.

The whole 'apology should be louder than the offence' thing, when he came back after his first injury, having clearly been stewing about the promo battle. Also, before that, that the Hangman reign had clearly been curtailed early to put onto Punk - from around then, it seemed like people were beginning to see doubts and get pissed off, and then everything started kicking off repeatedly.

Edit: When I say 'from', I mean it started there for some and built over time, not that there was a mass switch to being pissed off. 

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

I think it is cut and dry.

It isn't. You will watch something or listen to something this week where someone with dreadful views was involved in its making. It's unavoidable. Unless you just sit in a cell all day. It is Hull after all.

3 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The whole 'apology should be louder than the offence' thing, when he came back after his first injury, having clearly been stewing about the promo battle. Also, before that, that the Hangman reign had clearly been curtailed early to put onto Punk - from around then, it seemed like people were beginning to see doubts and get pissed off, and then everything started kicking off repeatedly.

But it was Page who started it all though? Were there many AEW fans annoyed at him for this 'workers rights' shit?

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

But it was Page who started it all though? Were there many AEW fans annoyed at him for this 'workers rights' shit?

Honestly, I think it floated over most people's heads at the time. Everyone seemed surprised Punk was still annoyed about it ages later - bear in mind, Hangman's promo wasn't that different from Eddie Kingston's. And, also, some (myself included) assumed Punk had lobbied to win the title, while Hangman realistically still needed something like the Mox feud before dropping it. 

On top of that, some felt Page had a point - the Cabana stuff may not have come from Punk, but it was clear it was done because of Punk. It was probably Khan quietly moving him out of the way, but Punk mainly complained he'd been blamed for it.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

The roster first started to become bloated after the 2020 WWE releases and continued to get more bloated, but to say it was since it's inception is hyperbole. Nowhere did I say Punk coming in was his fault the roster was bloated, but it's true that when you sign Punk, Danielson and Adam Cole, they are going to be pushed to the top, and those guys who were already there will suffer as a consequence. He didn't sign 29 top guys in 2022 or 19 in 2023, most are mid to low carders and surely them getting regular work/pay is a good thing?

He signed 34 wrestlers for a start up wrestling company right off the bat. I would also say that any roster with Jimmy Havoc on it is bloated. 

I'll give you that I missed out the word top, but a bloated roster is a bloated roster. The Wrestling game is played on the whole board not just the top few squares, every piece should matter, but when there are more pieces than squares it becomes almost impossible to play. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

It isn't. You will watch something or listen to something this week where someone with dreadful views was involved in its making. It's unavoidable. 

What though? What am I watching or who am I engaging with where I know what they've done? That's the line. We all know. There's no mystery here. We just want to use that so we can watch men in pants roll around. If I stick a Russell Brand DVD on tonight, then I know. And I'd be choosing to ignore everything he may have done. If I buy a loaf of bread and the CEO of W*rburton's is a paedo, then I don't. I'll mask that in case I get sued. Other bread is available.

Just now, Devon Malcolm said:

It is Hull after all.

Did Houchen tell you to say that?

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, tiger_rick said:

I can't think of a bigger group of people who can't keep their gob shut about anything. It's in their interests to say nothing and hope no-one points fingers. They're all cowards. Sad but true.

It's different if anything could potentially hurt the plaintiff's case though.

• Paid Members
Just now, SuperBacon said:

Sorry, what has happened? 

I saw Ice Cube's lad doing an interview with Chis Van Vliet. He's a big wrestling fan but he didn't know much about AEW and he tweeted that he was watching it but what the fuck is going on and who are these guys. You'd be surprised to learn that he got loads of tweets calling him a cunt, wishing he'd never been born, and how dare he disrespect the wrestlers. All he wanted to know was who are these guys and why should I care but pretty much all he got was abuse from AEW ultras. 

7 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Sorry, what has happened? 

Ice Cube's thick as fuck son is one of them needs vignettes for everyone and who are these Mexican/Japanese lads eh types. A twitter tribal wrestling fan essentially. He'd have fucking loathed WCW. No I'm not an AEW ultra either, it's a knackering circular discourse.

Edited by Chili