CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Pretty sure he worked for the company between 2005-13. Plenty of stories from that timeframe.

We may aswell go full Tiger Rick and call out anybody who has ever worked with, for or in association with WWE at any point in the last 40 years then.

I'm absolutely fuming Koko B. Ware hasn't said anything yet, and it's nothing to do with the fact he left CWA for the WWF, honest.

• Paid Members

Feels very much like a points scoring exercise for the age old AEW Vs WWE debate, similar to when allegations of AEW wrestlers came out. Nothing to do with genuine concern for the victims, just online one up-man-ship. 

• Paid Members
Just now, Bettencourt said:

Has he shunned questions on that subject?

Not as far as I've seen. He's been out injured since a couple of days after the details of the Janel Grant lawsuit went public, so aside from a softball TNT Sports interview at UFC, he's not been in a position to be asked by the press in the way the performers working at the PPV in Australia etc have been. So I would imagine he's not been asked about it as yet. 

2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Punk's on his final chance in wrestling having burnt so many bridges, and just fucked up his push getting injured, and is sitting collecting cheques.  If I was him I’d be keeping schtum and doing whatever daft marketing the company wanted from him.

You'd imagine this plays into it too. He's trying to keep his head down and get on with things rather risk his last big shot (I don't actually believe it's his last shot, TK would take him back eventually if things went sideways, but that's another conversation for another thread)

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Loki said:

I'm openly not a fan of Punk but I can't see that he has anything to contribute about a scandal that happened whilst he wasn't even part of the company.  Yes, he's worked there before but so had almost every wrestler who ever lived.  It's not like he's Vince's best mate like Cena, or related to him like HHH.

He just signed a deal with a cunt who definitely knows everything. They're all fair game for criticism. Scumbags.

That said, I agree it's got no relevance here. 

• Paid Members
55 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I think it’s more just a sign of the evolution of Punk who spent a lot of his time in AEW wearing statement t-shirts to stand up for women and LGBTQ+ rights, and his return to WWE where he’s reverted back to how he was when he left.

This is another really disingenuous statement that I think is born out of nothing but tribalism. Again, he's only been back in WWE 3 months. To suggest he's 'reverted back to type' is unfair and appears to ignore the fact that 99% of the people on the WWE roster have said nothing about the McMahon allegations. Although judging by Cena's remarks, maybe that's for the best.

I said this before back when he re-signed with WWE. I'm ready to be disappointed. It is wrestling after all. As things stand right now, Punk's statements on women's rights and trans rights mean a huge amount to me and he is currently one of only a handful of major wrestling stars (along with Cody Rhodes and Omega) who have openly expressed their support of the latter especially. So I think he at least deserves the benefit of the doubt right now.

Statements like yours, supported by some on here and by many on social media, smack of hoping that he turns his back on all that just because he didn't endear himself to the wrestling company you prefer. I find that immensely sad but at the same time not a surprise.

• Paid Members

@Devon Malcolm I think you’ve misunderstood. For the reasons mentioned that’s WHY I feel disappointed in his silence so far. But your right, it’s early days and I guess I just hope the enthusiasm would carry over immediately. We also don’t know how strict their policies are on “uniform“. He was allowed to not wear merchandise at AEW, a freedom not necessarily carried over. It’s not a bitter he’s left thing, it’s purely I want to see it wasn’t just performative and maybe I’m jumping the gun unfairly.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

@Devon Malcolm I think you’ve misunderstood. For the reasons mentioned that’s WHY I feel disappointed in his silence so far. But your right, it’s early days and I guess I just hope the enthusiasm would carry over immediately. We also don’t know how strict their policies are on “uniform“. He was allowed to not wear merchandise at AEW, a freedom not necessarily carried over. It’s not a bitter he’s left thing, it’s purely I want to see it wasn’t just performative and maybe I’m jumping the gun unfairly.

It *could* be performative, you're right. I hope it's not but like I say, it's wrestling, so I expect the opposite.

For what it's worth though, I showed my son the clip of when he did the promo after Collision (?) with FTR in the ring about trans rights. My son doesn't care about wrestling at all and doesn't know Punk but he said that it sounded to him, as someone who's heard a lot more performative bullshit statements from 'allies' than I have, like a completely genuine statement from someone who wasn't just box-ticking for 'woke clout'. But someone who actually has taken time to listen to people on this subject. He particularly liked his point about not fitting in anywhere. We'll see though.

• Paid Members

I don't think people are criticising Punk because he fell out with AEW, they're criticising him because he has made a career of selling himself as someone who would say the unsayable, stand up for the underdog, and, in recent years, specifically make a public stand when it came to women's rights, and he's seemingly had nothing to say about a major sex trafficking and sexual abuse scandal in the company he works for after years of being extremely critical of said company. 

A lot of that is buying into the gimmick as being the real person, but I don't think it's unreasonable for people to be disappointed in him. 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I don't think people are criticising Punk because he fell out with AEW, they're criticising him because he has made a career of selling himself as someone who would say the unsayable, stand up for the underdog, and, in recent years, specifically make a public stand when it came to women's rights, and he's seemingly had nothing to say about a major sex trafficking and sexual abuse scandal in the company he works for after years of being extremely critical of said company. 

You don't think there's a possibility that some are doing it for this reason? Or in fact both reasons you give?

It seems like some people would be less disappointed in him if he just hadn't expressed any women's or trans rights support in the first place. Which is just bizarre to me.

• Paid Members
7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

A lot of that is buying into the gimmick as being the real person, but I don't think it's unreasonable for people to be disappointed in him. 

And that his wife worked for.

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

It seems like some people would be less disappointed in him if he just hadn't expressed any women's or trans rights support in the first place. Which is just bizarre to me.

Is it bizarre though? You can only really be disappointed if you have any raised expectations to begin with.

• Paid Members
Just now, Chest Rockwell said:

Is it bizarre though? You can only really be disappointed if you have any raised expectations to begin with.

It is to me but I don't think I'm phrasing myself very well here. I'd much rather see Punk or anyone show some support for these issues than none, as long as they're genuine.

8 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Maybe disapointed isn't the right word but do you really think that if you have two celebrities; A who is very outspoken about fighting for womens rights and B who is not that people might pick up on celebrity A's silence over B when it comes to a sex abuse scandal involving a person who personally knows both A and B? That's even before you get into the anti corporate schtick etc.

Although TBH I'm about as fussed as Punk not speaking up about Vince McMahon as I am about Marcellus Wallace not speaking up about Harvey Weinstein.   

I'm sure he does care about the things he speaks about but he's also just a flawed human being trying to make money in an environment that lends itself to bluring reality. Doesn't mean his character's words still don't have power, they're just not built on a solid foundation.

• Paid Members

Let's be blunt, any surprise at the lack of speaking out by Punk should have been left at the door when you consider 

7 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

the company he works for after years of being extremely critical of said company

... for all the things he was vocal about, he still went back.

Moreover, it's far more nuanced that some people want to realise. Punk works for a company. A guy that was at the top of that company (past tense) has been alleged of horrific acts, Anyone that speaks out openly against him is also speaking out against the company culture that allowed the behaviour to go on. A lot of people that worked within that culture are still there. Including their boss, who happens to be the accused's son-in-law. What you do with your own platforms needs careful consideration, especially in an industry where the world at large pays attention when you say anything.