CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

That's why people hold him to a different standard than the likes of Keith Lee, Moxley or Leo Rush or indeed any number of the many wrestlers who have left not on the best of terms. At least, that is how I see it.

People hold Punk to a different standard depending on who he works for. Always have, always will. The AEW lot were Punks biggest fan when he came back, WWE fans hated him. When he left AEW and went to WWE, the wind changed and the AEW lot hated him and WWE fans love him. You can see it going back in this very thread in fact. 

Punk is an enigma. He will never be compared with the likes of your Johnny Kickpads or the stars of the 90's. You either love him, or you hate him and people flip flop between the two interchangeably. 

• Paid Members

When Brock Lesnar went off to try to be a football player and then an MMA fighter did you think "He's left wrestling, when he comes back I will hold him to a higher standard the hypocritical bastard" I know that Brock has very different issues now, but he was welcomed back with open arms when he came back the first time. 

Anyway no-one really leaves wrestling, it spits you out when it's done whether you like it or not.  If people did leave wrestling there wouldn't be so many bitter old cunts with podcasts still trying to shoot their way to one last chance. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Life, and work, is a contradiction. Every day we have to engage with, and sometimes work for, companies that have people in their leadership who we'd feel utterly repulsed by on a one to one basis.

Do we? Who are they? I don't know of anyone that I'm dealing with, even occasionally, who is remotely on a level of these pieces of shit and I don't know of anyone who I'm supporting in any way who comes close either. If I did, I wouldn't be. That's the usual cop out to justify watching this garbage. Nobody has to stop watching but don't give the rest of us this bollocks.

19 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Everybody says shit about WWE when they leave, and everybody bar Savage either has or will go back. Punk seems to be held to a different standard to everyone else when he is still just a carny wrestler the same as the rest of them. 

We're all marks. We bought the gimmick. He created his own standard. You're right though. He's another twat amongst twats.

17 hours ago, Bettencourt said:

I think when there’s an on-going legal investigation etc going on it’s usually best to not throw about comments on it. I’m sure Punk and countless others will have been advised of this for one reason or another. 

It’s once the legal investigations are over and done with and those who were complicit held accountable then any silence would be more than deafening. 

I can't think of a bigger group of people who can't keep their gob shut about anything. It's in their interests to say nothing and hope no-one points fingers. They're all cowards. Sad but true.

13 minutes ago, Nick James said:

The AEW lot were Punks biggest fan when he came back, WWE fans hated him. When he left AEW and went to WWE, the wind changed and the AEW lot hated him and WWE fans love him. You can see it going back in this very thread in fact.

Since the thread started in March 2023 i'd imagine you'd find the "AEW lot" either loving or hating him and it having nothing to do with WWE.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Do we? Who are they? I don't know of anyone that I'm dealing with, even occasionally, who is remotely on a level of these pieces of shit and I don't know of anyone who I'm supporting in any way who comes close either. If I did, I wouldn't be. 

Did Marlon King keep playing for Hull after he assaulted that woman?

• Paid Members

We're a whisker away from someone saying  he's held to a higher standard because he's the voice of the voiceless as if that is a real position in life and not part of his wrestling gimmick. 

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Did Marlon King keep playing for Hull after he assaulted that woman?

No, he went back to Wigan and then on loan to Middlesbrough. It was for football reasons, if we're really honest, his performances had dropped off. Probably all that clubbing and sleeping in police cells. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

Since the thread started in March 2023 i'd imagine you'd find the "AEW lot" either loving or hating him and it having nothing to do with WWE.

Sorry Tony, interchange 'this thread', with the Dynamite / Rampage / Collision / Raw / Chippy Tea threads. 

• Paid Members

Not quite true @Nick James, maybe on here, but outside of this forum Punks return to AEW was divisive. I was never a big fan of him in in WWE, but that was more due to at the time he was on top, I was watching less and less due to the content as a whole. But there were a lot of CM Punk fans who started watching AEW because they were fans of him. But a lot of AEW fans were annoyed at his return as they could already see how bloated the roster was becoming and he would be coming in as a top guy when people like Hangman and MJF were starting to climb up the roster.Even after Brawl Out there was a split AEW fan base on people wanting Punk back and people wanting him sacked. A lot of WWE fans were angry and then changed tack when he came back to WWE, but again not all WWE fans. Maybe you meant the most vocal or noticeable, but to saw all fans isn't correct.  

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

No, he went back to Wigan and then on loan to Middlesbrough.

He played for Hull two days after he was arrested for sexual assault.

• Paid Members

The idea that AEW fans were passionately pro-Punk up until he left just doesn't hold up. A lot were pissed off with him from the stuff with Hangman on. Don't forget how much he was booed on his entrance at Wembley, and it's not like he was meant to be a heel there.

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

He played for Hull two days after he was arrested for sexual assault.

Fair play, thought he was bombed out earlier than he was. Again, it wasn't because of the assault. Saw Phil Brown a few years ago. He was only bothered that his stats showed his workrate had dropped. Imagine they would have kept him if he'd still been working and scoring goals.

You got me though, my moral code 15 years ago was obviously in question.

Punk was really good at getting HIS fans to believe in him and that he was their mate. Bit of Brewdog Phil. It's a really unique connection he has with his fans, but it also seems to programme them that he really can't do wrong and that if he mouths off or throws the first punch or fucks over his mate then it's justified because they're not to his standards or simply because it's him. On the flip side he genuinely backs trans and women's rights openly not just because his character as a bit of an outsider (millionaire one at that) feels appropriate but because people think he's a bit flimsy that he's just making the statements to look good. Also we wrestling fans definitely digest people and their actions differently sometimes depending on that persons outlook, which Punk always felt a bit more 'real' about.

So basically, I like him but he's a flighty fucker sometimes and has a bit of a complex about his worth, a generational clash he probably never expected to have given one time he was the younger generation that knew better. Doesn't need to say fuck all about Vince either and I'm sure when the time comes he will because he won't be able to help himself, but he's probably read what Cena said and thought 'nah, not that thick.' 

It's Triple H & John Laurentis possibly going down where he'll really let loose one day. Not a chance he doesn't still fucking despise them.

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, tiger_rick said:

Fair play, thought he was bombed out earlier than he was. Again, it wasn't because of the assault. Saw Phil Brown a few years ago. He was only bothered that his stats showed his workrate had dropped. Imagine they would have kept him if he'd still been working and scoring goals.

You got me though, my moral code 15 years ago was obviously in question.

I hope you don't think I'm trying to 'Gotcha' you or anything, we've known each other a long time. And of course, it was 15 years ago, we're all different.

I'm just making the point that it's not as cut and dry as you make out. I'm glad you work in a capacity that keeps you away from people you would rather not associate with but avoiding absolutely everything and everyone that might not sit well with you, either in the workplace or recreationally, is more or less impossible unless you go and live in a cave for the rest of your life. Everyone has their own line in the sand.

16 minutes ago, Chris B said:

The idea that AEW fans were passionately pro-Punk up until he left just doesn't hold up. A lot were pissed off with him from the stuff with Hangman on.

From what point? I'm terrible with timelines and that.

Edited by Devon Malcolm
look in my eyes, what do you see, an edit to quote Chris B

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

A lot of AEW fans were annoyed at his return as they could already see how bloated the roster was becoming

The roster has been bloated like Bloaty McBloatface since day one and continues to be. I don't see the outcry that Saint Tone has signed yet more people he doesn't know how to book effectively. Besides Punk AEW signed 26 other wrestlers in 2021, yet its Punk's fault that the roster was becoming bloated. Start up a thread calling Fuego Del Sol a cunt and you might have a point. Do you and the other AEW fans share an equal ambivalence to the 29 wrestlers Tony signed in 2022 or the 19 in 2023? I know I was beside myself with excitement when Stu Grayson became All Elite.