CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

1 hour ago, Lorne Malvo said:

He's always entertaining to listen to, but when you consider a few years back he was doing these interviews about Triple H being a fucking idiot and WWE almost killing him, you have to take everything he says with a massive shaker of salt.

Why? He’s never struck me as dishonest, and he clearly believed that at the time. This interview doesn’t strike me as dishonest either; right down to the fact he doesn’t seem willing to talk about it initially. If you’re looking to paint yourself in a good light, I don’t think admitting choking someone backstage is a good way to do it. It would also explain Tony Khan ‘fearing for his life’ - watching someone fly off the handle to that extent would justify that strong a statement.

What he says about vignettes sheds a bit of light on how AEW operates - with shows like last week’s vignette-heavy Dynamite making a lot more sense with that kind of context.

• Paid Members

It’s a good watch. Confirms a lot of what I suspected about Tony Khan being too nice to be a pro-wrestling promoter. The bits where Punk’s obviously talking shit are equally as brilliant. Calmly asking Jack Perry to behave? Chinny reckon. Also, how many times does he do that same line, “you better fix this, or else I’ll fix it and you aren’t going to like what I do.” Gave the exact same energy as this.

I hope Tony does the mature, sensible thing. Don’t get a bag in. Don’t start tweeting bollocks. Don’t attract the usual suspects to this topic. You’re on a great run of TV, building momentum and good will. Just keep your head down, focussing on what matters. Binning off Chris Jericho.

• Paid Members
8 hours ago, RedRooster said:

This interview doesn’t strike me as dishonest either; right down to the fact he doesn’t seem willing to talk about it initially.

Goes on a podcast where he knows they're highly likely to ask about it, says he doesn't want to talk about it but then does talk about it anyway while taking shots at people, talks about how unprofessional everyone else is...it's classic CM Punk schtick.

29 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Goes on a podcast where he knows they're highly likely to ask about it, says he doesn't want to talk about it but then does talk about it anyway while taking shots at people, talks about how unprofessional everyone else is...it's classic CM Punk schtick.

I mean, he's just doing the media rounds for Wrestlemania. Rhea Ripley was on immediately after him, and participated in an angle with Becky Lynch while she was there. He works for WWE, he's not done this interview off his own back - Helwani has either successfully bid for the interview, or his show has been offered Punk as a guest. 

And if you listen to the whole thing, he's not sitting there taking shots at people - there absolutely is criticism, but it's balanced with positive comments. Take, for example this: 

7 hours ago, Supremo said:

Confirms a lot of what I suspected about Tony Khan being too nice to be a pro-wrestling promoter.

No idea if this is wording deliberate from Supremo or not (I suspect it is) - but Punk essentially says exactly this - he calls Tony Khan a 'nice guy'. I think that's pretty generous (and I'd point to his Twitter behaviour, ignoring people as their contract expire and potential NDAs he has knowledge of as examples) - but what I think is irrelevant; he still says it. Even while talking about the Jack Perry situation, he says that he happens to like Jack. He's not sitting around taking jabs at people left, right and centre - he's giving his perspective of what happened. 

As far as the truth of it all goes, again, I'd say that he doesn't have a track record of being dishonest. He's giving his own perspective; so of course it has to be viewed through that lens, but the same is true of any first hand account where you're hearing from someone who is directly involved. 

If anything, he seems oblivious - he goes on air and admits to choking someone; not remotely aware how serious an admission that is. Punk goes on to say that he did nothing to make Tony Khan think his 'life was in danger' - Helwani screws up by not asking, at any point, if Punk thinks that choking a colleague might be grounds for Khan to feel that way. He just kind of accepts this incredibly serious confession as being perfectly acceptable. Punk admits to continuing to choke Perry until Joe told him to stop - what was his plan here? If Joe hadn't been around, would Punk have throttled JP until he was unconscious? So make no mistake about him; I'm not defending Punk. But I think there's reason to trust that what he's saying is relatively accurate. 

• Paid Members
20 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

If anything, he seems oblivious

I think actually you're spot on with that and it's a perfect summary of the man.I always find it baffling how in one interview he'll complain about others being unprofessional or going off script or doing stupid stuff for the niche "internet audience" while seemingly having complete blinders on to his own behaviour which is exactly the same or usually significantly worse. Like how he often talks about and clearly wants to be perceived and treated as a locker room leader but in reality he overreacts to every backstage issue and escalates them. He's a fascinating contraction of a person. Just perfectly mental enough to be successful in wrestling I suppose.

• Paid Members
33 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

If anything, he seems oblivious - he goes on air and admits to choking someone; not remotely aware how serious an admission that is. Punk goes on to say that he did nothing to make Tony Khan think his 'life was in danger' - Helwani screws up by not asking, at any point, if Punk thinks that choking a colleague might be grounds for Khan to feel that way. He just kind of accepts this incredibly serious confession as being perfectly acceptable. Punk admits to continuing to choke Perry until Joe told him to stop - what was his plan here? If Joe hadn't been around, would Punk have throttled JP until he was unconscious? So make no mistake about him; I'm not defending Punk. But I think there's reason to trust that what he's saying is relatively accurate. 

That’s because Helwani is as real a journalist as Clark Kent! The fact Punk had the gall to refer to him as a real journalist 30 minutes or so before Rhea Ripley and Becky Lynch did an angle on the same show is testament to that. (Though fair play, it got Ariel on Raw I guess).  

Whether you think it was justified (it wasn’t) for Punk to put Perry in a chokehold, it sounds like he did it because of who he was friends with and his paranoia justified doing it. I have a work colleague who is a knob, I’ll just ask my boss what he’s going to do about it. If I don’t like the answer I’ll just choke the guy out and let you know how I get on.

If Tony Khan can say he felt his life was threatened I’m pretty sure Punk could make a case that Jack Perry was behaving in a threatening way towards him and his restraint of him was justified. Chinny reckons all round like but it wouldn’t be a stretch. Surely witnessing that and feeling your life was under threat as TK reckons means you absolutely can’t let that employee go out and work with another employee moments later.

At the end of the day all of us are giving our perspective based on what we think happened at Wembley. Only the people there truly know and they will all have their own takes on it. People will believe which version they want based on who they feel more inclined to believe. 

Punk clearly didn't want to be there and the Elite and others didn't want him there. If they were not willing to sit and hash it out for the good of the company then let the one who wants to leave, leave. Everybody seems happier where they are now. 

• Paid Members

“Stop using insider references, going off script and allowing the audience glimpses behind the curtain!” shouts man who made a career out of using insider references, going off script and allowing the audience glimpses behind the curtain.

He’s a fascinating, hypocritical head case. I could listen to him talk for hours. Pro-wrestling is infinitely better for having him in it.

If Tony Khan has to respond, he should just release the security footage from Wembley. Call me a cynic, but I don’t believe that footage will back up Punk’s claims here, acting as if he calmly strolled up to Jack Perry and politely asked, “excuse me young Jack, may I please enquire as to why you’re doing this silly internet stuff on TV.”

But yeah. I wonder how my HR department would react if I explained giving someone a bit of a choke was me being professional.

14 minutes ago, Supremo said:

If Tony Khan has to respond, he should just release the security footage from Wembley. Call me a cynic, but I don’t believe that footage will back up Punk’s claims here, acting as if he calmly strolled up to Jack Perry and politely asked, “excuse me young Jack, may I please enquire as to why you’re doing this silly internet stuff on TV.”

You’re obviously exaggerating for effect, but ‘calmly’ doesn’t necessarily mean ‘correctly’ or even ‘appropriately’. You can ‘calmly’ tell someone that they need to apologise or you’re going to beat the living shit out of them, for example. I completely believe than Punk does believe he spoke to Perry in a calm way, but that doesn’t mean that he didn’t escalate the situation through what he said during that initial confrontation at Collision.