CM Punk chat

LaGoosh

Just now, Merzbow said:

I think if anything a young Jack Perry is probably a hell of a lot closer to a young CM Punk.

Punk himself says that in the interview; essentially saying that he likes Perry and is prepared to let it go because he was like that once. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

You're all missing the most important part. He only choked him a little bit. 

Of course. He's a professional after all. He's not unprofessional like those dastardly Elite lads.

• Paid Members

Punk obviously still has a lot of grievances and talks a lot of hypocritical shite. His mistake is to air them personally where it can be seen by everyone. If he was as smart as he thinks he is he would air all his grievances through Meltzer, get him to say "Sources close to the situation have told me he only choked Jack Perry a little bit" for example and then he would have some deniability. Then everyone would think he was great and not the ridiculous man child that he clearly is. 

The amazing skill Punk has is being able to sound utterly reasonable even when saying some mad shit. It's incredible.

He's always entertaining, his comments on Vince were spot on. Most of the AEW stuff was quite tame really. His shot about it not being a business was just weird really and will pop those who hate that company, but overall it wasn't anything massively dramatic.

'I'm an outsider' (1 minute later) ' I don't agree with guaranteed money)'

He's an insane entertainment machine.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Factotum said:

His shot about it not being a business was just weird really

Yeah that stood out to me too. Him chatting about "houses" made him sound a bit stuck in the past. AEW is essentially a TV company, not an old school wrestling promotion. Their still a young company and their entire business plan is built towards getting a big pay day in the next round of media rights as that's where the money is. They've been incredibly open about this. 

It felt very much more along the lines of "I know what's best for business and they didn't do what I think they should have done so therefore they aren't a business".

1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

I think actually you're spot on with that and it's a perfect summary of the man.I always find it baffling how in one interview he'll complain about others being unprofessional or going off script or doing stupid stuff for the niche "internet audience" while seemingly having complete blinders on to his own behaviour which is exactly the same or usually significantly worse. Like how he often talks about and clearly wants to be perceived and treated as a locker room leader but in reality he overreacts to every backstage issue and escalates them. He's a fascinating contraction of a person. Just perfectly mental enough to be successful in wrestling I suppose.

He strikes me as something of a classic narcissist.  His entire world view is predicated on the assumption that he is the good guy, always does the right thing, and is always the aggrieved party in whatever happens.

As long as you feed that narcissism he’ll be your best mate, he’ll buy you a house or talk about what a great boss you are.  Look at the Orton interview where they’re suddenly best mates.  Orton is feeding Punk’s ego and he loves it.  You go up to him backstage as a young wrestler and ask his advice, he’ll be generous and sing your praises.

The minute you go against that narrative, he’s done with you.  You’re banned from Collision.  Wait until Orton wants to go over in their feud, see if Punk hugs it out then.

Listening to Punk is like listening to Trump sometimes.  “People say I could have killed him, and I could of course.  I’m a very good fighter, very dangerous, everyone says that.”

He’s as big a bullshitter as Hogan but without the decades of Wrestlemania main  events.  They both believe their own bullshit absolutely.

Punk is fascinating, mercurial, occasionally brilliant and absolutely not a guy to ever build your business around.  Better to have someone like Samoa Joe, who probably is genuinely dangerous but has never claimed to know karate, and just works incredibly hard and professionally at all times.

35 minutes ago, TheScarlettChad said:

Give me Phil and his mental ways over The Elite and Jungle Boy anyday. He's not justified to choke him out but Perry sounded like a spoiled Hollywood brat if Phil is to be believed. 

The great thing about wrestling in 2024 is that we get to have both and each has their own massive platforms to do their thing. It’s mad to feel the need to pick sides but people will because that’s how it is with everything now. Be interesting to hear Joe’s account at some point because he’s about as level headed and normal as you’re going to find in Pro Wrestling.

19 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Yeah that stood out to me too. Him chatting about "houses" made him sound a bit stuck in the past. AEW is essentially a TV company, not an old school wrestling promotion.

He also just talked about quitting at Wembley stadium. Can't get a bigger gate than that!

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Loki said:

He’s as big a bullshitter as Hogan but without the decades of Wrestlemania main  events.  They both believe their own bullshit absolutely.

Hogan is in a different universe of bullshit compared to anyone else. Phil's Grills is not something he has ever claimed for example, but has a nice ring to it nonetheless. 

All wrestlers have to believe their own bullshit. Its a bullshit business built on bullshit. If you don't believe it then you make no money. The Rock is proof of that. No-one believes his own bullshit more than Dwayne, and thank God this is the case because there would be no Final Boss without it. 

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
41 minutes ago, Loki said:

The minute you go against that narrative, he’s done with you

Yep. There's a distinct vibe of Punk walking into AEW expecting everyone to bow to his wisdom and go along with all his brilliant sage advice but when that not only didn't happen but some people actively disliked him it seems things went rapidly downhill from there.

I also think people seem to have forgotten that Punk's original gripebomb All Out meltdown was because he was so upset that the Young Bucks had apparently been leaking rumours about him to Dave Meltzer. He was so upset about pointless "internet shit" that he shit his pants and tried to tank the entire company. The ultimate overreaction to something so meaningless possible.

Edited by LaGoosh

43 minutes ago, Chili said:

I do still like him, but he's gonna crack again one day, sooner, maybe later. But we all secretly want it. It's there, and it's going to be another brilliant breakdown.

I'm not sure about this.

He's the cheating husband who's finally realised his looks are on the wane, his ol' fella's gone floppy and there's only his wife left.

Whether he's dying on the inside or not, I think he's going to play the reformed, kindly older gentleman as long as he physically can, until the wife decides SHE'S had enough of HIM.

• Paid Members
Just now, LaGoosh said:

The ultimate overreaction to something so meaningless possible.

Perhaps shouting "REAL GLASS" into a camera in front of 80 thousand people because professionals stopped you from injuring yourself and others on a previous occasion that you knew would lead to a confrontation with one of the biggest stars in the company and the face of one of your main TV shows is quite the overreaction as well. 

Let's knock this Punk sounds old fashioned because he refers to houses because AEW is a TV show on the head right now. AEW is a wrestling vanity project that is on TV. The money from the live gate doesn't really matter to TK because he's rich. The size of the crowd matters to the actual wrestlers in the ring. The crowd reaction is key to wrestling. This Final Boss run wouldn't be as magical in front of  2000 people in a 10000 seat arena. The crowd matters more than anything, part of Drew's whole narrative is that he didn't get to be Champion in front of a crowd, and that's what he craves. So any talk of drawing houses been old fashioned is pure piffle 

They all sulk when they don't get their own way, from Sunny Days to Finger Pokes Of Doom, to Losing Smiles, to REAL GLASS and countless things in-between the egos of the entitled will never stop getting bruised.

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Perhaps shouting "REAL GLASS" into a camera in front of 80 thousand people because professionals stopped you from injuring yourself and others on a previous occasion that you knew would lead to a confrontation with one of the biggest stars in the company and the face of one of your main TV shows is quite the overreaction as well. 

Who said it wasn't? I think everyone agrees that Jack Perry is an idiot. They should have sacked him for it.