The many sins of Cody Rhodes

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Assuming he goes to WWE, this is going to be a hell of a test for Cody. With the launch of AEW and even with his NWA flirtation, he was able to be a difference-maker. Not just 'a good hand' but a genuine star. Now, though, if he goes back to WWE and doesn't move the needle, and isn't a difference-maker, it's only going to reduce his stock, not increase it. He's going to have to convince the person/people that didn't believe in him that he can be a top-level talent, not just Mr Intercontinental.

• Awards Moderator

Really surprising news, but quite exciting news really. The past year hasn't gone brilliantly for him in AEW, but I didn't expect him to leave. If he is WWE-bound he might be coming in with a little more clout and, considering the state of their upper card at the moment, slot in easily near the top.

Part of me is thinking AEW is missing something without him - he did feel different to the indy-indy Adam Cole types - but seeing as how much of his stuff was self-contained it might not make that much difference.

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

Really surprising news, but quite exciting news really. The past year hasn't gone brilliantly for him in AEW, but I didn't expect him to leave. If he is WWE-bound he might be coming in with a little more clout and, considering the state of their upper card at the moment, slot in easily near the top.

Part of me is thinking AEW is missing something without him - he did feel different to the indy-indy Adam Cole types - but seeing as how much of his stuff was self-contained it might not make that much difference.

Cody was a big draw. Before Mox, Danielson, Punk, Brodie Lee debuted, and before people like MJF, Orange Cassidy and Sammy Guevara had made a name for themselves. 

• Paid Members

I hope he does well in WWE but if he goes there expecting anything more than good money to coast like Nakamura then he’s crazy. Everyone will have the best intentions right now but we all know how it’s going to go. Big pop on the first night. Four weeks of interminable forbidden door promos. A solid three and a half star match with Seth at Wrestlemania. And then slowly moved down the card where he’ll do next to nothing for the next three years.

Jericho suddenly slimming down and referencing Kevin Owens on Twitter feels more significant now. I would not complain if Santana, Ortiz and Kingston send him packing in the next few weeks.

Edited by Supremo

• Paid Members

Am I right in thinking the Dusty Classic is still ongoing? Cody in NXT 2.0 would be hilarious. Fuck it, have Cody turn up on 2.0 with a shit orange tan, a long wig and his shoes tied to his knees doing the Undisputed Era hand sign.

On the Jericho leaving speculation, not that he would agree to it, but I would love it if the Inner Circle boxed him and Swagger into a shipping container marked Stamford Development and chucked them into the back of a van, sending them on their way.

Edited by Nick James