The many sins of Cody Rhodes

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, Liam O'Rourke said:

Money. 

It'd have to be a lot of it to do better than Cody's talent contract, EVP contract and, presumably, the TBS deals for other shows, as I don't know if/how they'll continue without the AEW relationship. Depending on whether Brandi's going to WWE as well, they'd have to potentially do better than what either of them were making at AEW.

Not saying it's not possible, or even probable, but when you hear everything about poor morale at WWE, and just see the general state of the company, you'd think they'd have to offer someone the moon on a stick to tempt they back after they'd already walked out long before things got that bad.

Given WWE tend to prefer to ignore anything that wrestlers did elsewhere and just act as if you're in exactly the same spot you were when you left, I can't see Cody jumping ship to go play Stardust again, but are they going to have him walk right into a top spot? They're not going to pay him huge money for a midcard spot, surely?

In AEW terms, I wonder what the knock-on effect is for the rest of the Codyverse - where do Dustin Rhodes, QT Marshall, Arn Anderson et al go from here? There are probably a few people looking over their shoulders, too, knowing that it was being Cody's mate that got them through the door.

• Paid Members

I suppose this highlights the fact that one of the biggest benefits of having two competitive places for people to work (in fact more than two when you factor in Impact/NJPW etc) is that it offers both companies the opportunity for people to move between them and freshen the rosters in the process. I wouldn't be shocked to see Jericho follow suit. He looks like he's been getting in better shape as of late and I can't see a huge amount more for him to do in AEW as it stands. Interesting times. 

10 minutes ago, mim731 said:

It always felt like Cody's end game when he asked for his release from WWE was to go back and be a main eventer, and although his tenure in AEW made that seem less likely, it always felt inevitable he'd eventually go back. 

I wonder if Dustin eventually follows suit though, he seems pretty happy in AEW, so that would be a surprise. 

Dustin has tweeted he ain’t leaving 

It's a weird one for sure as Cody was ingrained at the top of AEW behind the scenes, and  you just assumed he would be a mainstay there. I'm not his biggest fan, but he suffered the last few years on not having any idea what character he was.

I imagine WWE will trump up him jumping. It must be a lot of money and commercial deals for him to do it as he seemed relatively happy outside that company. Probably been promised a big run (that'll last a week)

• Paid Members

There was nothing more crushing than them wasting Paige VanZant’s potential on a shitty, Codyverse mixed tag.

That Paige can now brag about Brandi leaving the company out of fear of her? Lovely stuff.

I can understand WWE bringing in Cody, just for the optics, but Brandi? Does anyone have a worse CV over the past few years?! Endlessly stinking up the joint, achieving next to nothing and almost always having whatever shit she was doing abandoned half way through.

I will laugh if Cody is brought in just so Hunter can pin him.

Mostly though, I’m just happy people will stop fantasy booking how Cody will somehow break the stip and challenge for the AEW World Title.

Edited by Supremo

1 minute ago, mim731 said:

I wouldn't be shocked to see Jericho follow suit. He looks like he's been getting in better shape as of late and I can't see a huge amount more for him to do in AEW as it stands. Interesting times.

Jericho will get a HOF induction I imagine soon, so it wouldn't be a shock to see him flit between the two

This is good for everyone, moving about  keeps people fresh. No bridges burned so if he’s back in a few years he will be fresh again. It’s a good example a top guy doing it 

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Supremo said:

Mostly though, I’m just happy people will stop fantasy booking how Cody will somehow break the stip and challenge for the AEW World Title.

On the contrary, I can already picture people saying that because if he comes back it'll be a new contract, that stipulation won't count any more.

• Paid Members

Well, that's some big and unexpected news. It says a lot about how his last year has been that I really don't see this as being the massive blow that it would have been. If they'd levelled out some of the storytelling and his story felt like it was going somewhere obvious and interesting, it might have been, but right now? It's as good timing for AEW as it ever could have been.

Makes the Lambert/Brandi stuff even weirder in hindsight, but maybe makes sense of the sudden switch back and forward with Sammy Guevara - if around then was the rough timing for Cody to have made the decision, he very much did the right thing in the right way on his way out.