The many sins of Cody Rhodes

LaGoosh

It's just a case of him not being a mature enough performer for the amount of freedom he has, isn't it? Looks at his brother, if it wasn't for Vince he'd have gotten a boob job and he matured into a really good hand. 

I kinda feel for Cody in a way. AEW was clearly created so that he and his pals could play stars on national TV with a money mark's millions. He clearly primed the mark the most and thought he'd be the face of the company as a result. He probably didn't expect it to become a group therapy session for depressed WWE superstars. 

• Paid Members
37 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

The guy with the reality TV show, treated as a celeb judge on another, and get's to do seemingly whatever he wants on AEW TV. That guy isn't the face of the company?

I think they try to promote him as the face of the company, and he likes to think he's the face of the company, but I don't think many people outside of that circle view him as such. I don't remember rolling my eyes and saying "here we go again" whenever Austin would come to the ring as the face of WWE back in the late 90s. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Vamp said:

I kinda feel for Cody in a way. AEW was clearly created so that he and his pals could play stars on national TV with a money mark's millions. He clearly primed the mark the most and thought he'd be the face of the company as a result

Is that part of the issue; when it started on those first run of shows lots of fans there were the hardcore superfan group keen to see something different and let it be known they were frustrated with wwe and a stagnant landscape. It didn't really matter who it was in that role in truth, they would cheer it.

But that novelty doesn't last long for most fans and more of the fan base are less interested in that side of things as it grows in numbers. As a result Cody goes back to what he really is, a solid but uninspiring midcard hand. 

• Paid Members

I'm not a big fan of Cody by any stretch, BUT, he is very media savvy. Regardless of how he is viewed by us lowly wrestling fans, he does well in the public eye and media, as shown with the celebrity judge gig and reality show. He is essentially The Miz, but with too much creative control. The Miz is an expert in how to behave in the public eye to be seen as a bigger star than he is.

For all his faults booking wise in his current wrestling guise, there is probably no better person currently to be hawking AEW out to the media than Cody, similar with Brandi. They are both very switched on to what is currently on trend etc. Lets not forget it was Brandi that brought in the sensory environments for fans with autism and the inclusivity stuff which was a huge part of setting AEW apart from other companies at the beginning. 

11 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I think they try to promote him as the face of the company, and he likes to think he's the face of the company, but I don't think many people outside of that circle view him as such. I don't remember rolling my eyes and saying "here we go again" whenever Austin would come to the ring as the face of WWE back in the late 90s. 

How a fan receives it and how it's pushed are very different though. I never connected with Austin and never really understood what all the fuss was about. I was the same as a kid with Hogan when all my mates at primary school loved him I thought he was fucking tedious. That doesn't change the fact they were pushed as the faces of the company in those two era's though.

How many people through a large chunk of Cena's career were doing exactly what you've described and rolled their eyes saying "here we go again" as he was wheeled out and rammed down the audiences throat?

Pre heel turn Roman Reigns?

Cody definitely is presented by AEW as one of, if not THE face of the company. Fans may prefer other wrestlers and there may be names in the company who to the majority are seen as bigger stars but that doesn't change the way he is presented, only how he is received by some.

As others have said he has a reality TV show, is a judge on a talent show with Snoop Dogg, he had the big celeb match with Shaq, he has the big entrance, they even did a fucking pregnancy reveal segment haha

The biggest irony with Cody is that he's essentially became what he was supposed to stand against and is now their HHH from the era he was near exclusively disliked and not in the manner he wished or intended.

If that was something they had planned it would be absolute genius but sadly it is not.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

• 2 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

If he does sign with WWE, that is the biggest gift WWE could do for AEW. They could release all of the biggest stars, but signing Cody is the biggest help to AEW possible. 

Hope he has taken his shitty throne and sledgehammer with him wherever he goes. Wonder how long until Dustin is out as well. 

Edited by Nick James

• Paid Members

It always felt like Cody's end game when he asked for his release from WWE was to go back and be a main eventer, and although his tenure in AEW made that seem less likely, it always felt inevitable he'd eventually go back. 

I wonder if Dustin eventually follows suit though, he seems pretty happy in AEW, so that would be a surprise. 

Edited by mim731