The many sins of Cody Rhodes

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, Louch said:

It feels more sport like than wrestling. Cody was good when he was available, but he’s the Robinho who walked for man city so that Aguero could run once city had the clout to sign bigger names. Much rather people are moved on than stay still and get stale. Bodes well for those on the way up the card that they aren’t gonna be blocked forever from progressing. 

Fancy reading this post then logging into twitter to see this:

image.png.11fdc84610ceed9b506dcccca650a1a1.png

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

The problem with wanting to be a superstar is that he booked himself in knots. While you might have come to regret the "never challenging for the World Title" stip. Especially once he started to lose the EVP/guy in charge sheen.

From everything I've read on here, it seems they completely missed the entire point of the "Never Challenge" booking, which is pretty much only there to be finally beaten via some loophole or other, and only after a long-enough period of time when the blue-eye's built up enough sympathy and the heel enough heat. Seems like Cody was using it primarily to make it look like he wasn't taking advantage of his position, which is a bit cack because it's ostensibly kayfabe-breaking, and he wasn't getting over enough to get to the moment where he finally gets his shot and wins.

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

From everything I've read on here, it seems they completely missed the entire point of the "Never Challenge" booking, which is pretty much only there to be finally beaten via some loophole or other, and only after a long-enough period of time when the blue-eye's built up enough sympathy and the heel enough heat. Seems like Cody was using it primarily to make it look like he wasn't taking advantage of his position, which is a bit cack because it's ostensibly kayfabe-breaking, and he wasn't getting over enough to get to the moment where he finally gets his shot and wins.

That point of the 'Never Challenge' booking assumes it's something the heel has insisted on. That wasn't the case with Cody - he suggested the stip (to show how much he believed in himself or something). The set-up may have been weird, but I took the point as being far more about 'Look - we take our stips seriously' in a fledgling promotion that was trying to makes wins and losses matter in an industry where that's been badly damaged by WWE booking.

• Paid Members

It was stupid from the out because it was his first title shot. If he'd had a few other shots and fallen short, or had a few pins over Jericho in tag matches beforehand then used that stipulation it would have been more logical, but instead he comes out and says it out of the blue in the hopes of popping a big buy rate, and people who've been conditioned by years of these stipulations before a title match watch because they think Cody is going to win the title. 

My first thought after that was "how do they get him back into the title picture then?" but they didn't, they just stuck him in feud after feud with people he would call his best friend, who would then turn heel on him so often he made Sting look clever by comparison. They stuck the TNT title on him as an attempt to give him and the title some prominence, but I don't think I saw much of Dynamite during this period because I don't think it was on ITV at the time, so I can't comment on it. When I started watching regularly Darby was champion and Cody was just milling around doing his "Cody verse" stuff which was mostly eye rolling stuff because it never felt like it had anything to do with anything else that was going on. It went on and on and he started pissing the goodwill away by solving racism with his mixed race baby and hogging all the screen time in that ladder match by laying around getting medical treatment for most of the match and instead of playing into the reaction and turning heel, which could have turned it all around, he doubled down and shit the bed. Plus as the interview said there were better wrestlers coming in and taking the spots on the card that he should have been trying to push for. It's frustrating that there's no payoff to his meta tweener bollocks but at the same time it's a relief that there's no more of it to worry about as I can't imagine he'll get anywhere near this much screen time. Imagine how Vince might react if he and Brandi come out doing their poundshop Tripper & Steph impression? Will he try and make them feel welcome on the way in and then screw them over when they arrive by saddling them with shit gimmicks and feuds? 

• Paid Members
5 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Will he try and make them feel welcome on the way in and then screw them over when they arrive by saddling them with shit gimmicks and feuds? 

To be fair, there's no way to tell whether that'll be intentional or not.

Regardless, and discounting Brandi Rhodes as a TV character, that line 'nobody has a nice thing to say about her' very much more of who did the sources speak to as opposed to a solid fact. Seems like dunking on someone a bit from whoever did that report. I don't know either, but yeah, just seems an interesting ad on. 

Edited by Chili

12 minutes ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

Meltzer now thinking this could all be an elaborate Pillman-esque work 

They referred to the contract situation and so on on television. I must say the thought crossed my mind when I first read this.

I'm not quite sure how you make the work work though, I'd assume somehow it makes him the big king heel because he wanted to leave then didn't?

• Paid Members
13 minutes ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

If this is a big work (I doubt it), then it could backfire on AEW in a way, given that the reaction to the news on the whole has been hugely positive. As much of a mark Tony Khan is for nostalgic wrestling, I don't think this is a good enough 'work' to risk the good will he has built up on being truthful. 

• Paid Members
23 minutes ago, 2Xtreme_lives said:

Not really. He reported the whole thing as fact, with a single aside suggesting that, because it's wrestling, you can't completely rule out it being a work. 

It isn't a work. I'll eat my hat if it is.