The many sins of Cody Rhodes

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

How's about this for a hot take? The clickbait headline is "AEW ratings plummet without Cody Rhodes", presumably it's nothing to do with being on opposite the basketball? 

https://www.cagesideseats.com/aew/2022/2/17/22939836/aew-dynamite-ratings-feb-16-2022-viewership

Edited by jazzygeofferz

30 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

How's about this for a hit take? The clickbait headline is "AEW ratings plummet without Cody Rhodes", presumably it's nothing to do with being on opposite the basketball? 

https://www.cagesideseats.com/aew/2022/2/17/22939836/aew-dynamite-ratings-feb-16-2022-viewership

All the ratings chat made some sense when it was AEW & NXT being compared against the same alternatives.

It's just daft now. You mention the NBA. They were on last week and this week. For some that means they're equal to each other and shouldn't factor into a dip. Except last week was Chicago/Charlotte as the head to head game, and this week it was Brooklyn/NY. Unsurprisingly the rivarly game from the biggest city in the US drew a higher audience. Did that cause a dip? Dunno. Did the difference in the promotion of Dynamite from last week to this week play a part? Dunno. People that look for perpetual growth or standing still in TV ratings are bound to be disappointed. Worse case scenario they turn into Chicken Little and think the sky is falling whenever there's a dip they can't explain.

Pretty sure AEW and WWE are doing just fine. The whole ratings thing is so tiresome these days, driven by people who seem tho think their self worth is linked to a particular wrestling brand and want to constantly tweet Dave Meltzer.

I would imagine most people don't even watch wrestling live anymore. The good thing about AEW is they post really long clips on their YouTube channel.

5 minutes ago, Factotum said:

Pretty sure AEW and WWE are doing just fine. The whole ratings thing is so tiresome these days, driven by people who seem tho think their self worth is linked to a particular wrestling brand and want to constantly tweet Dave Meltzer.

I would imagine most people don't even watch wrestling live anymore. The good thing about AEW is they post really long clips on their YouTube channel.

While the likes of Meltzer have been reporting ratings figures, i'd say it's gotten worse with the likes of Brandon Thurston trying to go "in depth".

36 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

and this week it was Brooklyn/NY. Unsurprisingly the rivarly game from the biggest city in the US drew a higher audience.

Yeah you’re right about picking and choosing when it matters. The Nets aren’t even in the top five of Knicks rivals. 

52 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yeah you’re right about picking and choosing when it matters. The Nets aren’t even in the top five of Knicks rivals. 

All time it could be debated if they're Top 5 within the Knicks fanbase. However, to a TV audience. Same city. A few years ago Durant & Irving picked Nets over Knicks. Then in the week leading up to the game there was the trade deadline fallout with Harden/Simmons switch and Thibs being on the hotseat putting it on the radar.

1 hour ago, Infinity Land said:

All time it could be debated if they're Top 5 within the Knicks fanbase. However, to a TV audience. Same city. A few years ago Durant & Irving picked Nets over Knicks. Then in the week leading up to the game there was the trade deadline fallout with Harden/Simmons switch and Thibs being on the hotseat putting it on the radar.

Oh I do agree, it’s almost wrestling promoting the way TV companies can manufacture and manipulate a rivalry to make it interesting to a TV audience. Sky do it all the time with football, but with fans who aren’t the TV audience it doesn’t matter as much. Much like Knicks vs Nets. 

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, Infinity Land said:

While the likes of Meltzer have been reporting ratings figures, i'd say it's gotten worse with the likes of Brandon Thurston trying to go "in depth".

I'm fine with in-depth, as I find some of the ratings stuff interesting. A bigger issue is that some are reporting the early figures, which are misleadingly different from the final figures (due to, I believe, a mixture of estimates and not all service providers giving their info at the same time), and being used in bad faith.