The many sins of Cody Rhodes

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Nice of them to let him keep his AEW music, but like has already been mentioned he'll be on main event with Shorty G and Otis. Mind you if he's being spoon fed his promos line by line maybe people will actually cheer for him, or they'll just keep playing the sweetened crowd to manufacture the reaction they want. Who's betting his first promo tomorrow night on Raw they'll try and get him to shit on AEW and talk about how he thought the grass would be greener elsewhere, but "there's no place like home" in WWE. Right before Steph and Tripper come and totally emasculate him verbally? 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Meltzer all over Twitter screaming “see! Told you Cody was a main eventer~!” is going to be great to look back at in 6 months when he’s dicking about with Happy Corbin

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Wasn't he slap bang in the middle of the first half of a 2 night card? That doesn't scream main event to me. I watched the start of his entrance on twitter, and that crowd sounded very sweetened. Good to hear Rollins dragged him to a 4 star match though. 

34 minutes ago, quote the raven said:

That’s where he’s heading isn’t it, he will get a few months near the top lose and then he’s teaming with shorty G 

29 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

That's it though isn't it? Rollins dragged him to a 4 star match. At Mania. After 6/8 weeks of cock teasing. Rollins for all that he's the cringiest man in wrestling, which goes some way, very rarely has anything less than a very good match.

How's Cody going to look after a month of perfunctory 5 minute matches with Madcap Moss?

Hi Tonys.

• Paid Members

I resent that after all the times I've botched about AEW's massively inconsistent rankings systems and little Tony's propensity for having to crown an interim champion because his current champion is washing their hair the night of the show. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, jazzygeofferz said:

. Who's betting his first promo tomorrow night on Raw they'll try and get him to shit on AEW and talk about how he thought the grass would be greener elsewhere, but "there's no place like home" in WWE. 

They love the ‘coming home to WWE’ line, to the point of obsession.

They’d have every right, to be fair.

”16 years ago I left professional wrestling, now I’m back” was exactly the same sort of shot you’re predicting - and complaining about WWE potentially making.

I like both shows, but let’s not pretend AEW haven’t taken their shots.

It’s wrestling. It’s petty.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

17 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

They’d have every right, to be fair.

”16 years ago I left professional wrestling, now I’m back” was exactly the same sort of shot you’re predicting - and complaining about WWE making.

I like both shows, but let’s not pretend AEW haven’t taken their shots.

It’s wrestling. It’s petty.

This was majestic petty shithousing 

• Paid Members

Wait, Cody did the Stardust cartwheel? How will they expect people to understand that reference without having explained it beforehand?

Everyone knows casual wrestling fans can't understand these things and will immediately get confused, switch off and never watch again.

They probably didn't know who the music was for either. Absolute disaster. 

• Paid Members

Quite fun watching the recent Cody interviews. This guy is an old school carny bullshitter, haven't seen one of those in wrestling for ages.

Well I hope he's bullshitting anyway because if he's not he sounds pretty delusional. He's being quiet about why he really left AEW but it's not exactly hard to guess what probably happened: he wanted more power and creative control and couldn't get it, he fell out with the rest of the EVPs, fans turned on him, all his storylines kept failing, then WWE offered him huge cash and a top spot. 

Cody going back to WWE is a good thing for everyone. AEW had left him behind and he was dragging the product down, WWE is a better fit for him and he'll probably be WWE Champ one day (most people get a turn these days) and the controlled scripted nature will reign in all his worst traits that led to the fans turning on him in AEW. I don't hold out much hope he'll be a huge breakthrough success in WWE though, he's still average match unlikeable smug babyface Cody Rhodes at the end of the day. Should eventually settle into a similar position to Drew McIntyre.

I'm looking forward to more talent trading between WWE and AEW. With no real competition WWE have had over a decade of a stagnant roster with the same acts hanging about for years on end. Most acts really only have a 2-5 year shelf life. Wrestlers going back and forth should keep things fresh and help wrestlers change and develop.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

I still don't quite understand how he's ended up out of AEW and back in WWE. Wasn't he one of AEW's founding fathers, with the Young Cunts? And instrumental behind the booking of the earliest shows at least?