The many sins of Cody Rhodes

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I still don't quite understand how he's ended up out of AEW and back in WWE. Wasn't he one of AEW's founding fathers, with the Young Cunts? And instrumental behind the booking of the earliest shows at least? 

He became the parable of the wrestler with too much creative control. Allowed to write his own stuff he booked himself into an embarrassing corner where everyone booed and laughed him out of the building, but he refused to embrace it and turn heel, essentially becoming worthless, so AEW were happy to let him go and WWE were happy to bring him in. Everyone wins and we learn a valuable lesson that some idiots need a script handed to them. Turning yourself up to eleven doesn’t work if you’re a complete whopper. Imagine looking at someone with that tattoo and thinking, “I can trust this man to make good decisions.”

Edited by Supremo

I turned off the BT sports interview when he claimed he had worked with everyone he wanted to in AEW. He was barely on screen with anyone of note his last year never mind a match or a feud. That he got moved on is best for everyone. Wish him the best in wwe. 

I've watched some of the post-Mania Cody interviews and a couple of things stood out to me.

1. He said he and Dan Lambert had similar ideas about what a wrestling product should be like and "AEW wasn't doing much of that". I'm wondering what that means. Extra misogynistic "burns" like "you're a slag lol"?

2. Cody said his WWE contact is giving him one of the top wrestler salaries in the world. That can't be true, surely?

• Paid Members

I've been quite amused by how butt hurt some of the AEW die-hards have been about his turning up at Mania this past weekend.  I've seen tweets where they've burnt his t-shirts, thrown his action figures in the bin etc. I forget what tribalism there is in wrestling sometimes. 

• Paid Members
8 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I've been quite amused by how butt hurt some of the AEW die-hards have been about his turning up at Mania this past weekend.  I've seen tweets where they've burnt his t-shirts, thrown his action figures in the bin etc. I forget what tribalism there is in wrestling sometimes. 

I think most of that shit is just to get attention really. Highly doubt many of them actually care that much. The WWE die hards who have spent the past 3 years slagging off Cody now love him all of a sudden now he's back. Can't take any of it seriously. 

14 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I've seen tweets where they've burnt his t-shirts, thrown his action figures in the bin etc.

Gotta make space for all the new stuff they bought at Axxcess. 

18 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

I’m sure twenty quid wasted on a T-shirt is small fry to the hundreds he spunked on a watch. 

39 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

2. Cody said his WWE contact is giving him one of the top wrestler salaries in the world. That can't be true, surely?

If you average it based on the amount out there getting £20 a match, everyone in wwe is one of the top wrestler salaries in wrestling 

• Paid Members
41 minutes ago, 69MeDon said:

He said he and Dan Lambert had similar ideas about what a wrestling product should be like and "AEW wasn't doing much of that". I'm wondering what that means. Extra misogynistic "burns" like "you're a slag lol"?

Old school wrasslin', I assume. But if that's the case it doesn't make much sense to go to WWE which is the complete opposite of that.

I'm certain he's lying his arse off and just trying to create headlines with these comments. 

• Paid Members

There's a part of me that still wonders, once the dust settles, if he'll find it hard to adjust to simply being a bog standard talent after being used to being an EVP elsewhere. 

Its ok at the moment I'm sure, the excitement and hoopla of Wrestlemania etc, but give it a few months and reality bites...

I mean, the AEW hyperbole is nauseating at the best of times, but too many wrestlers have spoken of their relief at leaving the WWE shark tank to make it pretty clear that the working environment isn't ideal.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, Devon Malcolm said:

I still don't quite understand how he's ended up out of AEW and back in WWE. Wasn't he one of AEW's founding fathers, with the Young Cunts? And instrumental behind the booking of the earliest shows at least? 

Mixture of two things.

When he was brought in, he was one of the three biggest names they had, along with Jericho and Omega. His value to AEW was huge. When they brought in people like Moxley, and particularly Punk and Danielson, Cody was less and less important to AEW. If his stuff over the last year (in particular) had hit, then that'd have been one thing - but instead, his feud with Ogogo shit the bed, and his feud with Malakai Black only made Black mean less. And he didn't want to turn heel, which was the one area he might have provided some serious value by doing so. At the end of the day, it was difficult to argue that he meant as much to the company three years later.

Secondly, there was a massive element of him doing a Shane McMahon - going elsewhere to prove to the boss that he actually was the big deal he saw himself as. And, arguably, that was always his main objective. To go away, turn himself into a star that Vince wouldn't be able to turn down. So he jumped around upper cards and main events for a few years and then was front and centre for the launch of a new company. If AEW failed, as long as he was still the big guy in it, he was still the guy that had a company built around him. And now, he's at the point where he's been brought back, but as the new version of himself that he created, and is on a pretty lucrative deal (if what he says is true), with a big 'Wrestlemania moment' on his own terms.

Basically, it sounds like AEW wasn't so much Cody's dream as it was the Bucks' and Omega's - and it really suited Cody for a while. And fair fucks to him. It was a big deal that he jumped back, and it'll give some wrestlers more negotiating power in the near future, and that's not a bad thing. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, andrew "the ref" coyne said:

Yes... but he solved racism by shagging his hot black wife.

Like father like son.

sapph.jpg

• Paid Members

Cody leaving AEW came down to money and creative control - he'd had a lot of the latter taken away when Tony Khan became more heavily involved, and when he wanted to renegotiate his contract, he was asking for the same money as CM Punk. I've heard stories of Tony Khan literally showing Cody the breakdown of the ratings between Cody segments and Punk segments and saying, "this is why you don't make CM Punk money". 

He's done exactly what he did when leaving WWE in the first place and taken a gamble on himself and his worth, and fair play to him for that. The impetus for him leaving WWE was always to prove that he could be a bigger asset to them than they realised, and that's where we're at now. He was right, about that at least.