The many sins of Cody Rhodes

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

Apparently he could be gone up to 6 months after the surgery. Hold him back for a return at the Rumble? 

Respect the hell out of Cody for still performing, but I don’t think many would have complained if it had been a sub 10 minute match, to go 25 was utter lunacy

He’ll come back an even bigger face though on the basis of that performance, they need to massively capitalise on it when he does return if Roman hasn’t dropped one or both belts by then

• Paid Members

One thing that I've found interesting in hindsight - the six months where everyone was basically saying that Cody should turn heel and his face run wasn't working, or even convincing themselves that he was secretly working heel (and I'm closer to being in that category than I entirely like to admit), were the same six months that he was realistically thinking about going to WWE, and had a cast-iron reason for not wanting to turn heel and damage the character/brand he'd built.

Also, it's not looking like it was a big shock for Khan, so it also probably featured into his booking in some ways, and how he was being kept somewhat separate to the rest of the roster. It's entirely possible, if he was 100% set on staying, that we'd have seen some better stories from him.

• Paid Members

I find it more shocking than impressive that someone would wrestle when so clearly injured. I haven't watched the match (or WWE in general because life's too short), but I very much doubt I could enjoy watching blokes in their underpants pretending to hurt each other in 2022 when one of the competitors is displaying internal bleeding before it even begins.

Edited by garynysmon

Personally I thought it was brilliant all round. The gasp from the crowd as he took his jacket off was a moment I will remember. 

Rollins maniacal laughter as he did so was excellent too.

The match was great story telling and the fact people are discussing how he shouldn't have done it and how dangerous it was for me mainly highlights what a good job the two of them did making people believe that.

Something I don't think many people are realising here is that in wrestling and the majority of non pre determined sports, particularly combat sports, people are competing at various levels of injured nearly all the time.

If his pec was legitimately torn off of the bone there isn't a tremendous amount of further damage he could do from there. His life or career wasn't in any significantly increased danger and they didn't do any crazy spots that increased the risk to him either.

The main thing would have been pain management but even with anything that realistically could have been done to help with that he must be absolutely tough as nails.

Everyone's biggest concern with Cody going back to WWE was how he was going to be presented and how he was going to come across.

He has looked a million dollars so far and Sunday was the cherry on top. If his in ring return is done the right way and he doesn't lose too much momentum between now and then it could really cement him as a major player going forwards.

Edited by Jonny Vegas

Sorry but all this "he was as injured as he could be so couldn't make it worse" chat is absolute bollocks.

It's well known that when one part of your body is injured, the other parts over compensate and that could lead to potential other injuries as you're not 100%, and your body is working over time.

I'm glad that Cody didn't get "more injured" (that we know of) and Seth didn't get injured, but the risk was there, was massive and it should never have happened.

• Paid Members

He may not have been able to damage that muscle any more  (although I suspect that's simplistic), but his risk of injuring other muscles in his body that work in conjunction with his pec is quite a bit higher.

He absolutely should not have been allowed to go out there, the decision should not have been in his hands. That's an absolute no brainer.

That being said...

He's now the biggest babyface in the company. I hope he is out for 6 months at this point because he should absolutely win the Rumble and beat Roman (assuming the Rock isn't available)

I'm not convinced that "he was only in pain, he couldn't get injured any more" is a great argument to begin with really. If I broke my arm and work told me to carry on lifting things because it can't get any worse I'd leave. 

The fact that Cody was willing to go out there, whatever we think of his toughness and will to entertain an audience, will put more pressure on the next injured wrestler to go out and wrestle hurt. Whether it's good for his own career or not, he has made it more difficult for his next colleague to say no. 

I dunno, at the end of day Cody is a carny. 

• Paid Members

You know, it's almost as if people have forgotten that one of the key reasons so many of these guys and girls died in their 20's, 30's and early 40's was because of painkiller dependency. Caused by needing painkillers to work through injuries, then not being able to get off of them when/if the pain ever went away. 

Two things can be true at once. He can be incredibly tough and brave, whilst also being ridiculously stupid. 

Cody going out there like that is not on him. It's on his bosses for letting him. He should have been protected from himself by the people responsible for his welfare. The athlete always wants to keep going. No different than footballers with head injuries during games that are allowed to continue 'because they want to' or boxers that don't want the towel thrown in.

The person least capable of making the smart decision in these cases tends to be the person that's hurt. That's not their fault though, they're expected to be tough and they wouldn't have gotten where they are if they weren't. Cody wanting to do it should have been demonstration enough of his toughness to the decision makers, without them actually saying "Ok, we need you, go on ahead."

It was one of the most interesting matches in WWE in absolute donkeys, and Rhodes and Rollins played a blinder in working a great match out of it. It was probably as good as it was because of the injury and the story they were able to build around that. Should it have happened though? No, not in the slightest. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Vamp said:

I'm not convinced that "he was only in pain, he couldn't get injured any more" is a great argument to begin with really. If I broke my arm and work told me to carry on lifting things because it can't get any worse I'd leave. 

The fact that Cody was willing to go out there, whatever we think of his toughness and will to entertain an audience, will put more pressure on the next injured wrestler to go out and wrestle hurt. Whether it's good for his own career or not, he has made it more difficult for his next colleague to say no. 

I dunno, at the end of day Cody is a carny. 

I agree: Cody should not have done it, WWE shouldn't have let him, and, as others have stated, the damage caused to other parts of the body is why the argument about how it couldn't get worse isn't really a good one at all.

The part that saddens me particularly is that about pressure on colleagues, but I'm a little more optimistic than before - in previous years, it would have been a given that wrestlers would acquiesce to that bullshit, but there does seem to be a new shift in work culture in mainstream wrestling now. It's not complete or great by any means, but with all the stuff about health, plus the new legitimate mainstream competition, I'd hope that Vince can't as easily bully people like he previously did into working badly hurt.

At least, I would hope there are now more of a new generation of wrestlers with a bit more savvy, enough to realise that 1. Cody is on a way better contract with way better money and way better positioning, and 2. what he did is something from a culture that should be on its way out now.

If there is any justification I can think of to Cody's thinking, at the absolute minimum, it's that maybe he considered this one match to be so critical a moment in cementing his position with the fans as a cast-iron, unassailable, main-event blue-eye in WWE, and his position with management as an invaluable team player, that he thought it was worth the risk, and that, in any situation other than this one, he would have simply have not done it, and is very unlikely to do it again. 

Not 100% convinced he's that insightful though.

5 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

Sorry but all this "he was as injured as he could be so couldn't make it worse" chat is absolute bollocks.

It's well known that when one part of your body is injured, the other parts over compensate and that could lead to potential other injuries as you're not 100%, and your body is working over time.

Genuine question, do you think working with a shoot injury to your pec rendering it incapable of being used is more risky and likely to cause an injury than when guys work with worked injuries and intentionally only use one arm, or leg, or otherwise, unneccessarily placing a greater strain on the other muscles and body parts being used than is needed?

31 minutes ago, Jonny Vegas said:

Genuine question, do you think working with a shoot injury to your pec rendering it incapable of being used is more risky and likely to cause an injury than when guys work with worked injuries and intentionally only use one arm, or leg, or otherwise, unneccessarily placing a greater strain on the other muscles and body parts being used than is needed?

Well yes, as if it's a worked injury they can use the affected area if need be. With a real injury you wouldn't be able to.

• Paid Members

Whether he should have gone through with it or not can be debated but there's no denying that this was the most significant moment of his career and likely to be called back and highlighted for a long time to come.

His eventual return is going to be absolutely massive. Triple H levels of grandiose. Obviously he didn't want to get hurt to start with but In a way I also feel that removing him now and then building to a return and Inevitably winning the big one is better for him than the crowds eventually getting bored and soured in the way most people expected this to unfold over the next few months. 

Jeff Hardy is a physical wreck, seemingly strung out each time and a clear hazard to anyone he's working with and it never garners this kind of debate.