The many sins of Cody Rhodes

LaGoosh

3 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Even the two promo's  I've seen him do in WWE since he came back traded on Dusty's name.

Come on, man - you're basing this view on two promos? He's cut plenty of them since rejoining WWE, but regardless, his mission statement on joining the company was to win the one title that his dad could not, so it's not like the references are irrelevant. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

I don't like Randy Orton but at least when he's either good or shit, he's doing it largely on his own terms.

Not quite the best comparison, though - Bob Orton was successful, but I don't think he was anywhere near Dusty's level, and Randy surpassed his dad decades ago. Hell, his dad was his sidekick when he feuded with the Undertaker!

Also, Bob Orton hadn't been on TV, and therefore in the fan consciousness, for some time, whereas Dusty was on TV with Cody and Dustin a fair bit.

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Then he actually STARTED A COMPANY that everyone loves.

Not everyone loves it. It's a bit of a curate's egg for me, very much like Cody himself. I like his look, I like his promos, his ring work is less appealing but it's more than enough. Most of all he carries himself like a star in an era where the talent have been told that they aren't the stars, the company is. 

• Paid Members

Even if you hate AEW, the way Cody turned his career around by jumping ship proves how vital and healthy having two major companies can be. It’s everything they pretended the Brand Extension provided. The genuine ability to chop and change and get a fresh start in a new territory. None of this happens if AEW doesn’t exist.

I saw reports online that Triple H has approved a, “new belt design,” for one of the WWE Championships.

Come on Hunter, you know it makes sense.

00B2CED1-92A6-4D31-9B91-FEF61A066BF1.jpeg.88925d97c08ff15884d9ffb517da9260.jpeg

Of all the things in wrestling, I wouldn't be splitting the atom too much on the nickname. To 99.999% of casual observers, wrestling looks and sounds like it did in Spider-Man. It's the big aggro thing where oily men go "I'm gonna hurt you bad!" Even without his dad being called the American Dream, American Nightmare's a fucking sick bit of business as a nickname. With the fact that his dad was called the American Dream? Hand in glove, baby. 

1 hour ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

Fucking nepo baby?

Well, he is. It doesn’t mean he’s shit but doors were opened to him due to his family. Wrestling may be the centre of the nepoverse when you think about how protective they used to be. Vinny Mac is the greatest promoter of all time, but he’s still a nepo baby. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, LaGoosh said:

You what? When did I say I always liked him?

You didn't. Just that you're not hugely surprised that he's going to be winning the title and getting big cheers. Because he was a great babyface when AEW started. But also, previously, that he was shite. It was a Partridge paraphrase poking fun at all of us having to backtrack or contradict our previous opinions, myself included.

I'll probably retire from fun soon. It's too much work.

• Paid Members

Speaking of people who have re-invented themselves on the Indies after being released, how do people see Matt Cardona doing when he inevitably goes back?

I can't see him being main event level, but he could be a good upper midcard heel and definitely a few levels above where he was when he left. Always had a soft spot for Cardona and glad he tried different things after leaving, also glad his brief AEW stint didn't work out.

Also, just look at Cody here. The guy is just having the time of his life and must be loving every minute.

Screenshot_20230327_175212_Twitter.jpg

Screenshot_20230327_175347_Twitter.jpg

Edited by Nick James

1 hour ago, Keith Houchen said:

Well, he is. It doesn’t mean he’s shit but doors were opened to him due to his family. Wrestling may be the centre of the nepoverse when you think about how protective they used to be. Vinny Mac is the greatest promoter of all time, but he’s still a nepo baby. 

I dunno, I think this stretches the term beyond its meaning. For me, a nepo baby is someone who’s not only had doors opened to them but has constantly had an outsize benefit from who they are, rather than their own ability. And I just don’t think that applies here… the door opened, and behind it was a load of make-up and dancing skits with Festus.

23 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I dunno, I think this stretches the term beyond its meaning. For me, a nepo baby is someone who’s not only had doors opened to them but has constantly had an outsize benefit from who they are, rather than their own ability. And I just don’t think that applies here… the door opened, and behind it was a load of make-up and dancing skits with Festus.

Giles Coren and Victoria Coren Mitchell are both nepo babies. I think she probably would’ve had a career regardless but no way he would. But they’re both nepo babies. 

Giles Coren flies against something  Linus Roche said, that I believed until that cunt made me rethink. “Having a famous parent might get you your first job, but it won’t get you your second”. Although he was on about acting!

3 hours ago, RedRooster said:

Come on, man - you're basing this view on two promos? He's cut plenty of them since rejoining WWE, but regardless, his mission statement on joining the company was to win the one title that his dad could not, so it's not like the references are irrelevant. 

I don't watch WWE and I have an outsize disdain for the toothbrush headed bawbag. The two segments I watched were the ones where people were acting like these were all timer promos, Raw after Mania last year and that one with Heyman from a few weeks back. It was just standard Cody stuff all misty eyed faux stammering and constant references to his Dad.

Everything I've seen with Cody that's ever hit has relied heavily on his Dad or family. The Aldiss match at All-In was built on Cody coming for the belt that his Daddy was synonymous with and his best match in AEW was with his own (much better) brother.

Without that emotional crutch he flounders badly. The build to his match with MJF was great but it was wasted on a match that remains MJF's only real high profile clunker. On top of that he was fucking shocking in his NJPW run, being the only person I've seen have bad matches with both Omega and Ibushi separately and, quite impressively in a 3 way.

He might have found his niche, and if people are into him, fine I guess but he got in on Dusty's name, yeah that might not have been a boon in his first run but outside of Vince's WWE it provided collateral he simply didn't have himself and now with HHH at the helm, who let's face it was much more predisposed towards Dusty than Vince was, it's certainly not doing him any harm.

In summary, I dislike Cody Rhodes and am unlikely to change my mind on the shit plastic dullard.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Nick James said:

Also, just look at Cody here. The guy is just having the time of his life and must be loving every minute.

Well, if there were any doubts about his in-ring abilities, he's certainly proven he can carry Braun Strowman.

Edited by Chris B

On the nepotism point. If you're the son of someone who is regarded as a great you get the foot in the door someone else who isn't a "nepo baby" doesn't. Mick Schumacher comes to mind. Hell people have lied and used nepotism to get that advantage (George Weah's "cousin" comes to mind

It's what you do with the advantage that counts. 

Let's be honest, Dusty dying, WCW being out of mind and DVD's being a thing was the best thing that happened to Cody. Dustin was weighed down by his father's legacy and seen as someone being showed down fans throats by a egotistical father when he was actually underpushed in WCW, Cody was seen as the grandson of a plumber and Dusty was a charismatic tour de force who was one of the greatest wrestling minds, not the guy who bankrupted Jim Crockett Promotions with his rubbish booking. 

2 hours ago, Nick James said:

Speaking of people who have re-invented themselves on the Indies after being released, how do people see Matt Cardona doing when he inevitably goes back?

I can't see him being main event level, but he could be a good upper midcard heel and definitely a few levels above where he was when he left. Always had a soft spot for Cardona and glad he tried different things after leaving, also glad his brief AEW stint didn't work out.

Speaking of people who have re-invented themselves on the Indies after being released, Strowman went from being a bit of a bellend in WWE to re-inventing himself into a full on bellend in the indies.