The many sins of Cody Rhodes

LaGoosh

5 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:
5 minutes ago, Infinity Land said:

People will put the blame on Vince, but having lived through the HHH title runs where the hot hand was constantly denied. I'm not so sure.

He raises a fair point. If they somehow pull off an incredible story which leads to next year's Mania main event then maybe it'll be an even better pay off? 

• Paid Members

This is where that explanation is bullshit. The story of the WWE never ends, but this wasn't that. This was the story of Cody Rhodes. It involves lots of elements that are not related to the WWE story, and lots that are. Beating Roman would have been the pinnacle of Cody's story, not the WWE's. There is nothing that says when the Cody Rhodes story was finished that the story of Cody Rhodes WWE Undisputed Heavyweight Champion couldn't be written, and maybe it still can. This was the perfect time to start it though. 

Nah, sounds like some bullshit reasoning from Hunter, deliberately misinterpreting what an angle is. You don't drop a Chekhov's gun keyword in a lead character's promo then have a producer after the event state it's never gonna happen. As much good as he's done these last few months and in a lot of this show, this is the guy who convinced top brass to have a heel over at Mania. Old habits. It almost feels like the Vince-on-comms info was leaked specifically to cast doubt on who made the call, knowing it was going to get people up in arms.

Edited by CavemanLynn

On 3/29/2023 at 2:46 PM, Devon Malcolm said:

Only a few days left, lads, and then Fanny Pack will have to find something else to make the same post about over and over again.

Last post from me on this subject lads.

It would be rude of me not to mention that when I said Reigns would win and quite a few posters begged to differ, some with valid arguements and some with not so valid arguments, you were all wrong.

See you all next Mania!

7 hours ago, Tsurutagun said:

Maybe my brain is working properly today but can someone tell me a time when a popular Babyface loses a big world title match and then comes back later down the line to win the belt on the second attempt and that reign was great business wise? 

I mean, this was Dusty's booking philosophy in the 80s wasn't it?  The money is in the chase?  Dusty himself generally came up short against Flair.  It's an old-school idea that you keep your champ as heel and heat up babyfaces as opponents.

It's not something that has ever really worked in WWE until this Reigns reign.  Historically WWE over the last 20 years has struggled to make credible babyface top stars beyond Cena, and so usually it was face champ, monster-of-the-month challenger.

But over the last few years they've managed to make us all think Reigns was losing on a number of occasions.  So from that perspective, the system is working!  If they can heat up Gunther, Cody rematch, face Orton, there's another 12 months of booking.

35 minutes ago, Loki said:

I mean, this was Dusty's booking philosophy in the 80s wasn't it?  The money is in the chase?  Dusty himself generally came up short against Flair.  It's an old-school idea that you keep your champ as heel and heat up babyfaces as opponents.

It's not something that has ever really worked in WWE until this Reigns reign.  Historically WWE over the last 20 years has struggled to make credible babyface top stars beyond Cena, and so usually it was face champ, monster-of-the-month challenger.

But over the last few years they've managed to make us all think Reigns was losing on a number of occasions.  So from that perspective, the system is working!  If they can heat up Gunther, Cody rematch, face Orton, there's another 12 months of booking.

But Dusty won the title at the first time of asking in the 70s I think. Yes, he lost the belt shortly after because the NWA belt was a heel title with the heel champ going into territories to defend the belt. But at least the fans knew he could beat the champ. 

Even when he didn't win at least he pinned the champ with a "Dusty finish" playing into effect. 

Last night Cody was just another guy who lost to Roman