The many sins of Cody Rhodes

LaGoosh

Not only do I think the 'AEW Stink' is total nonsense, i actually think it's the exact opposite. They want to make an example out of Cody, they want to say If you're an out of contract AEW guy and we sign you it's because we want you, you will be treated like a star (not like the early 00's where they got lumped with comedy jobber gimmicks). I don't know how much to read into these Omega interested in wwe rumors' but if there is a grain of truth in it, you know Kenny is watching Cody very closely.

On top of all that he's Dusty's son, who essentially co-founded NXT with HHH (or what we see as NXT today), Hunter clearly has such a deep love for everything to do with the first class of NXT.

The only doubt I have is that 1000 day champion moniker, realistically when will they get the chance to do that again? Reigns keeping the belt and dropping it to Cody in the Autumn at 'Starcade' might be the sweetener for them in terms of 'happy ending'. 

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, theringmaster said:

Reigns keeping the belt and dropping it to Cody in the Autumn at 'Starcade' might be the sweetener for them in terms of 'happy ending'. 

wCw’s version of Starrcade.

😏

2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Skybet offering 1/3 odds on Cody winning. They mustn’t have heard about the AEW stink.

They also offered 1/10 on The Undertaker beating Brock at WM30. Doesn't really mean anything.

I'm hoping they give Cody his moment here while he's hot, i had a feeling him winning the belt would be a huge anti climax after the Sami story but now it feels like Roman winning would be the anti climax. 

They can build "The Rematch" for Saudi if they have too, as at Backlash i want the full on Bloodline split with after teasing it at Mania the Uso's finally walk away from Reigns.

Could have a 6 man of Cody, Sami & Owens vs Roman & The Bloodline be the main event with all the belts on the line, have Jey take the pin with Roman going mental at him and it all finally coming to a head there.

• Paid Members

the fact that Cody Rhodes came in with his AEW music (I know he used it elsewhere, but people will associate it with AEW, where he used it most recently and most notably) and AEW presentation, shows that they don't see his AEW run as a hindrance, but in many ways as the heart of what now makes him a main event talent.

How many times in the past have they brought somebody in after an absence, and presented them as the exact same wrestler they were when they left, as if they didn't do anything in the interim? Cody could have come back, not necessarily as Stardust, but with his WWE music, and little more than "remember this guy", but that's not what they're doing with him.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

They also offered 1/10 on The Undertaker beating Brock at WM30. Doesn't really mean anything.

Pretty sure it does. It's said that Taker was winning right up until the day of the show when Vince changed his mind and decided he wanted to beat Taker in case he was going to retire and he'd never get chance to get the value off it. Odds makers have their ears to the ground of "insider talk" so if the odds on Cody are short, it means those in the know are currently whispering that Cody's currently pencilled in to win. That's what it means. It doesn't necessarily mean that come show end he's 100% nailed on to win as plans are always subject to change, but it's a misnomer to say it doesn't mean anything.

8 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

How many times in the past have they brought somebody in after an absence, and presented them as the exact same wrestler they were when they left, as if they didn't do anything in the interim? Cody could have come back, not necessarily as Stardust, but with his WWE music, and little more than "remember this guy", but that's not what they're doing with him.

Best example I can think of in recent times was how Bubba/Brother Ray shed weight, gained muscle and reinvented himself as the heinous Bully Ray who would have been a fine (at least) upper midcard heel only to march back into a Rumble as "Oh look! One of the Dudley Boys came back. Just one, mind."

5 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Pretty sure it does. It's said that Taker was winning right up until the day of the show when Vince changed his mind and decided he wanted to beat Taker in case he was going to retire and he'd never get chance to get the value off it. Odds makers have their ears to the ground of "insider talk" so if the odds on Cody are short, it means those in the know are currently whispering that Cody's currently pencilled in to win. That's what it means. It doesn't necessarily mean that come show end he's 100% nailed on to win as plans are always subject to change, but it's a misnomer to say it doesn't mean anything.

Best example I can think of in recent times was how Bubba/Brother Ray shed weight, gained muscle and reinvented himself as the heinous Bully Ray who would have been a fine (at least) upper midcard heel only to march back into a Rumble as "Oh look! One of the Dudley Boys came back. Just one, mind."

The more people who put money on Cody means the odds will go down, that's how they work.

Pretty sure Skybet haven't got the insider talk on what is happening in WWE.

• Paid Members
3 minutes ago, The King of Old School said:

The more people who put money on Cody means the odds will go down, that's how they work.

Good point. So, blame the punters reading Meltzer. Unless we're still pretending "internet marks" are the minority of the people watching these days.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, The King of Old School said:

The opening price offered by a bookies has nothing to do with the amount of money placed. It's the opening price, no money has been taken yet. The opening price is set by a bookmaker based on what knowledge they have of the situation. If the price changes after that it can be one of two things. 1. The amount of money bet, if it's a lot it will shorten the price, or if it's not as much as expected they might push it out to try and encourage people to bet. Or 2. New information comes in and the price is changed to reflect that. 

I can't imagine any bookies are taking massive bets on wrestling in either volume or size of bet. Wrestlemania isn't like Cheltenham, no one is having 400 grand to win 133 on Cody like someone had 400 grand to win 580 on Enurgemene in the Champion Chase are they. 

1 hour ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

The opening price offered by a bookies has nothing to do with the amount of money placed. It's the opening price, no money has been taken yet. The opening price is set by a bookmaker based on what knowledge they have of the situation. If the price changes after that it can be one of two things. 1. The amount of money bet, if it's a lot it will shorten the price, or if it's not as much as expected they might push it out to try and encourage people to bet. Or 2. New information comes in and the price is changed to reflect that. 

I can't imagine any bookies are taking massive bets on wrestling in either volume or size of bet. Wrestlemania isn't like Cheltenham, no one is having 400 grand to win 133 on Cody like someone had 400 grand to win 580 on Enurgemene in the Champion Chase are they. 

Out of interest how do we know no money has been taken yet?

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

Presumably the knowledge they're going on is that traditionally the babyface goes over in the main event at Wrestlemania. I know it isn't always the case, but it's usually the most popular line of thinking. 

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, The King of Old School said:

Out of interest how do we know no money has been taken yet?

Because the opening price is the price that opens the book on each market. Before Bet365 put up the odds of 1/3 Cody, you couldn't bet on it because there was no market. 

1 hour ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Presumably the knowledge they're going on is that traditionally the babyface goes over in the main event at Wrestlemania. I know it isn't always the case, but it's usually the most popular line of thinking. 

Every price a major bookmaker offers is analyzed by someone. They have big teams of analysts for every possible event you can imagine. It won't be on what's traditionally happened in the past. Then they will be guided by what other bookies offer as well. When you gamble on anything the bookie has the advantage the vast majority of the time. 

On 3/29/2023 at 4:28 PM, Tsurutagun said:

After reading Nick Khan's comments about Vincent not being "that involved" , my suspicions about Cody losing have increased. 

Senile Vince would totally go "Roman needs to go to 1,000 days pal" and "let's give those Saudis the big title change" 

Told ya