The many sins of Cody Rhodes

LaGoosh

1 minute ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’m shocked there are so many qualified sports injury professionals and Doctors on the forum who know working with a torn pec isn’t that big a deal.

Or, alternatively, that know that it is a big deal.

This is the worst area for discussion, as none of us know. The most qualified person was probably the WWE doctor, but then it's a question of whether you think he was squeezed to keep the show on the road (either by Cody or the company) or whether you think they would/wouldn't risk a medical malpractice suit.

No idea.

The one thing I keep coming back to is the precedent, and this precedent shouldn't have been set. I still maintain respect for Cody the performer, but the company need to give their head a wobble if they think it was okay to put him in a position where he felt he had to make that decision. It should have gone 'Cody gets injury-doctor says its a pec tear-Vince and co call the match off'. It's as simple as that to me. There shouldn't have even been a conversation where some felt they had to ask 'so... can it get any worst?'

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

I’m shocked there are so many qualified sports injury professionals and Doctors on the forum

No new updates on how much worse he made his injury or his ETA for coming back today, Dr. Scorch?

On 6/6/2022 at 7:10 AM, Hannibal Scorch said:

he would have made it worse and therefore his recovery time extended

The Oath you swore to uphold didn't say Hypocritic, ffs.

27 minutes ago, Kamaras-Tash said:

TommyDreamer Mk.2 he'd shoot himself in the ring if he thought the fans/Vince would cheer for him  

I was about to criticise this read, then remembered he set himself on fire in a nothing match, on free TV, for a company he presumably knew he was leaving.

So… as you were

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

No new updates on how much worse he made his injury or his ETA for coming back today, Dr. Scorch?

The Oath you swore to uphold didn't say Hypocritic, ffs.

My bad, I didn’t realise wrestling with a torn pec for over 20 minutes would reduce his recovery time. He’ll be back before the Rumble now for sure. Idiot.

• Paid Members
19 minutes ago, CleetusVanDamme said:

You can be someone who gives multiple armchair diagnosis updates or you can be someone who gets offended by non "qualified sports injury professionals and Doctors" giving an opinion. You can't be both.

A torn pec is the fact. How long he’s out for, or how more injured he could of got is speculation. It’s also a fact that wrestling with an injury isn’t going to make it better.

55 minutes ago, DavidB6937 said:

It's also a fact that you don't know when to let things go.

Not an accusation you can level at Cody’s pectoral tendon, clearly.

The bruise might take him over completely at this point.

Outside of anything else, you have to say the move to WWE has paid off in spades for Cody so far. He’s never been a bigger star.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members

I think we all thought that the move may not be fruitful. And whilst I think 3 matches with Seth Rollins is excessive (but I’ve never been a fan of his solo run and his mad me gimmick I think is awful), I don’t think anyone can fault his presentation thus far.

Yeah, the countdown timer was lame, but they have portrayed him as a huge star. I also think it shows how out of place he was at AEW. It’s definitely been the right move for Cody.

He's actually been positioned as a top-level guy, and I think it not unlikely he'll be in the title picture on his return.  That's a hugely impressive accomplishment.

I also think from the WWE point of view, it helps them send a message to AEW talent.  It tells them they won't have to expect NXT contracts if they come over, that WWE will put them in a prominent place on the roster.  Given some of the rubbish going on in AEW at the moment, it might just persuade a MJF or a Jericho that a WWE run is worth the risk.

WWE roster seems thinner at the top than AEW at the moment, and that's with two "brands".  It could be an interesting time now that the door swings both ways.

I've slated Cody in the past for not being as great as he thought he was and trying to appeal to smart fans with those pretentious AEW promos. 

But I'm willing to put my hand up and admit I was wrong. He is a star. He's been phenomenal since his first appearance back at Mania. Looks like a star, talks like a star, acts like a star.

His babyface return is going to be something worth seeing.

• 9 months later...
  • Paid Members

Remembered this thread just now and gave the first few pages a re-read.

This same lad’s almost certainly winning WWE’s World Title in the main event of Wrestlemania on Sunday, likely to universal cheers. What a mad industry.

• Paid Members
On 2/16/2022 at 6:46 AM, air_raid said:

Cody won’t be a star in WWE.

On 2/18/2022 at 7:38 AM, air_raid said:

He better come in as a heel straight away. He’s not likeable.

On 2/18/2022 at 7:38 AM, air_raid said:

But in the ring where it matters, he’s just… Cody. People would do well to accept that as much as they want him to be a big deal, he isn’t.

Well folks, when you're right 52% of the time, you're wrong 48% of the time.

On 6/8/2022 at 2:51 PM, d-d-d-dAz said:

Or, alternatively, that know that it is a big deal.

This is the worst area for discussion, as none of us know. The most qualified person was probably the WWE doctor, but then it's a question of whether you think he was squeezed to keep the show on the road (either by Cody or the company) or whether you think they would/wouldn't risk a medical malpractice suit.

No idea.

The one thing I keep coming back to is the precedent, and this precedent shouldn't have been set. I still maintain respect for Cody the performer, but the company need to give their head a wobble if they think it was okay to put him in a position where he felt he had to make that decision. It should have gone 'Cody gets injury-doctor says its a pec tear-Vince and co call the match off'. It's as simple as that to me. There shouldn't have even been a conversation where some felt they had to ask 'so... can it get any worst?'

As we've discussed elsewhere, I've never been more on the Cody express (choo choo), but I stand by every word of us. Perhaps even moreso.

I hope young performers don't think performing with a horrific, gruesome injury is a shortcut to the respect of the office and management giving you a Wrestlemania event.