The many sins of Cody Rhodes

LaGoosh

I would be very suprised if they gave Cody the win at Mania. For the simple reason its the main WWE guy vs the guy who left. Cena v Brock 2012 and HHH v Stang Mania 31 are prime examples.

Edit- ok Stang didnt leave but you get my point.

Edited by Fanny Pack

19 minutes ago, Fanny Pack said:

I would be very suprised if they gave Cody the win at Mania. For the simple reason its the main WWE guy vs the guy who left. Cena v Brock 2012 and HHH v Stang Mania 31 are prime examples.

Edit- ok Stang didnt leave but you get my point.

He’s also the guy who came back. Hogan got the world title when he returned after his stint with the enemy.

• Paid Members
10 hours ago, Fanny Pack said:

Neither of those are babyface that won the Rumble challenging the heel champion at WrestleMania. They were just two guys fighting. Reigns vs Rhodes determines the title and direction of the company coming out of the biggest show of the year. Neither Lesnar in 2012 or Sting ever were pencilled in for immediate week to week focus. Cody obviously is. There's nothing left for Roman on top right now, and unless they want to turn Cody heel, beating him at Mania would fuck him hugely and make everything he's achieved in terms of fan support in the last 12 months completely meaningless. They're surely not going to Luger him now.

• Paid Members

They passed up Sami Zayn winning the Title in Montreal for this. There is nothing more nailed on than a Cody victory on Sunday. To think otherwise would be insanity at the best of times, but to think it would be due to petty tribalism, wanting to job out the outsider? After everything they've done to lay out the red carpet for him?! Positively bonkers.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Fanny Pack said:

I just think Rhodes has still got a little bit of AEW stink on him still which will see him lose.

I don't think they care about that. I don't think they ever really cared about that kind of thing. They made Ric Flair the WWF Champion within 3 months of his debut, beating the whole roster in one match, as far back as 91-92. They had former face of WCW Bill Goldberg debut by beating The Rock, then beat Triple H of all people for the version of the World title contested on Eric Bischoff's Raw, ending a PPV with Bill waving around the Big Gold belt synonymous with WCW during the war. They couldn't give a shit what you did elsewhere if they think you're right for them to be on top.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Fanny Pack said:

I just think Rhodes has still got a little bit of AEW stink on him

This is even more of a reason why they almost certainly will put the belt on him. Sends a very clear message that anyone coming over from AEW can still go right to the top in WWE. Certainly makes it a more attractive prospect for an Omega to come in, or if they want to put an offer out for a return run for a Jericho or Moxley in the future (not saying they will, just using them as examples). 

Edited by mim731

9 hours ago, air_raid said:

I don't think they care about that. I don't think they ever really cared about that kind of thing. They made Ric Flair the WWF Champion within 3 months of his debut, beating the whole roster in one match, as far back as 91-92. They had former face of WCW Bill Goldberg debut by beating The Rock, then beat Triple H of all people for the version of the World title contested on Eric Bischoff's Raw, ending a PPV with Bill waving around the Big Gold belt synonymous with WCW during the war. They couldn't give a shit what you did elsewhere if they think you're right for them to be on top.

I get your point man but this isnt Ric Flair or Goldberg. 

I will gladly show my arse if he wins tho 👍

On the subject of the Grandest Stage Of Them All, will there be a live Discord chat for this Mania? I remember the one for the lockdown Mania which made the event a bit more special personally, that was a mad time for obvious reasons and the live chat was a great laugh.

Edited by Fanny Pack

• Paid Members
15 hours ago, Fanny Pack said:

I get your point man but this isnt Ric Flair or Goldberg.

Nor is or ever has been AEW a level of threat or internal perception of “the enemy” as WCW was, and they never let “WCW stink” influence a decision. Quid pro quo, Clarice.

AEW don’t even factor into it unless they specifically mention it in a promo. Granted, there are those that know what Cody’s been upto the last few years, but that are plenty that either don’t know or just plain don’t care.

I’m happy to admit that I’ve come around on Cody completely since he went back to WWE. Did he need that time away, absolutely. Did everything work during his AEW tenure? Absolutely not. But he’s come out better for it and the crowd are completely behind him, and WWE have done a great job of building this match and making it feel like a big deal.

The fact that only a month ago people were trying to say that Sami should’ve been winning the belt or trying to figure out ways to shoehorn him into the main event as well is crazy looking back at it. That’s not a knock on Sami or the work he’s put in, he’s been great,  but the Cody story over the last year is without doubt the right choice to go with for the big match on the biggest show

Edited by WyattSheepMask

1 hour ago, air_raid said:

Nor is or ever has been AEW a level of threat or internal perception of “the enemy” as WCW was, and they never let “WCW stink” influence a decision. Quid pro quo, Clarice.

Im not saying Rhodes wont get the belt, i just think it wont be by beating Reigns at Mania.

To use your examples-

Flair won a vacated belt in a Rumble and didnt eliminate Hogan.

Goldberg was beaten by HHH at Summerslam and won the belt the next PPV.

Again I respect your opinion but I think Reigns wins at Mania.

• Paid Members

The only way Cody loses if if they do some sort of bizarre shenanigans to cost him the strap so they can build to a rematch in a month's time and he wins it then, or he gets injured mid-match and they call an audible. Either way it would be massively anti-climatic. 

Give it to him. He deserves it. Wheel out the classic strap while you're at it. 

• Paid Members
53 minutes ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

The only way Cody loses if if they do some sort of bizarre shenanigans to cost him the strap so they can build to a rematch in a month's time and he wins it then,

Worked well in 2000 when they decided "Fuck it, people will buy Mania anyway" and popped a massive buyrate for Backlash off HHH vs Rock with added spice of Austin present, which wasn't beaten for a non-big 4 PPV until Invasion. Lucrative, if cynical.

In the Network era however, there would be fuck all to gain from doing it with Cody. Unless they wanted to placate their egos by beating "the AEW guy" at Mania before, you know, making him champion at a later date. Can't see the logic there, and neither can you. It's obvious that....

....... what a minute .....

...... oh, FUCK'S SAKE, this could be one of those idiotic Vince moments where he decides that it's "too obvious" that Cody wins and decides to have Reigns beat him. Vince could easily Luger his own next big thing, ironically, as he did to Reigns repeatedly.