The many sins of Cody Rhodes

LaGoosh

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, Supremo said:

Remembered this thread just now and gave the first few pages a re-read.

This same lad’s almost certainly winning WWE’s World Title in the main event of Wrestlemania on Sunday, likely to universal cheers. What a mad industry.

I'm not hugely surprised. He was a great white meat pure babyface when AEW started and the fans loved him back then, it's when he got in his own way that the tide turned. I haven't watched any of his WWE run but it sounds like he's back doing the pure babyface act that works for him and combined with how perfectly he fits the WWE mould and the sheer rarity of a big main event level re-debut and push that it's the run he's always wanted. And he's not on the level in-ring of AEW's top stars, but he'll fit in perfectly with WWE's formula and main event style.

I'm intrigued to see how it goes for him longer term, his babyface act is pretty one note with a limited shelf life. Hopefully he'll become the smarmy heel champ at some point, he'll be so great at it.

I don't think the difference between the two runs should be used as an example of different fan attitudes or expectations or anything else like that or anyone "coming around". He was fucking awful in the latter half of his AEW run and deserved the flack he got.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members

I've always liked Cody Rhodes, since his earliest days when he seemed determined to be more like Ric Flair than Dusty, and wanted him to do well - he was in one of my favourite matches ever (SS 2009 Legacy vs DX), I liked his run as "Dashing", and his match with Big Show at WM for the IC was fun too. 

Unfortunately, because I haven't watched much wrestling over the past decade, I haven't had a chance to see the rest of his career, but it did seem like he'd gone a bit off the rails in terms of where he saw himself in the grand scheme of things and how he planned to get there, but I'm really glad to be proven wrong. Still a fan.

I retrospectively think everything Cody ever did in AEW is genius (whether that's true or not).

He got over as a babyface first, good start - proof of concept. He then retreated into the Codyverse which at the time as a viewer was shit, but it maintained his presentation as a WWE-style star, giving WWE-style promos in a WWE-style way without giving away the big 'I DID IT FOR MY DADDY' title chase and win (as he'd cleverly ruled himself out of a title win). He also got an absolutely horrific tattoo in an unavoidable place so WWE were forced to keep the bare bones of his character in place.

He basically perfectly hung his arse out the brothel window for WWE to reach for their wallet, without giving so much away that they didn't feel the need to buy.

He's a genius. 

Choo choo.

• Paid Members

To this day I'm still not sure what makes him the "American Nightmare". It sounds cool though so maybe that's just it? Cool nickname and logo is genius for merchandise, but I just wish I knew what the fuck he meant by it.

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

To this day I'm still not sure what makes him the "American Nightmare". It sounds cool though so maybe that's just it? Cool nickname and logo is genius for merchandise, but I just wish I knew what the fuck he meant by it.

I remember Dustin using it back in wCw when he sacked off the Seven gimmick and was sort of vying to be their version of Stone Cold.

To be honest, I don't think it's anything more than trying to call back to being Dusty's son while also making it clear he's his own man. 

26 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

Really they should have skipped the match with Rollins at Mania and had Cody and Rollins debate who had a justifiable nickname.

On 12/4/2021 at 10:35 AM, Loki said:

AEW is at its worst when it's comparing itself directly to WWE, whether it's mentioning the Miz, or smashing thrones, or "subtle" references to WWE gimmicks and factions.  Cody emodies all of that in one package, which is ironic as the whole point of AEW was escaping the WWE universe.  I don't think Cody's ever got over failing at the big show.

The solution was obvious - just go back to WWE!  He’s so much of a better fit.

2 hours ago, gmoney said:

Think I boycotted this thread when it was going, so I've got limited resources to gloat with, but really, I'm just glad you've all come around. 

Never, I'll never come round to that pigeon legged, Nepo-Baby shitarse. If anything I'm glad he's doing well in WWE because it means I'll never have to watch another rote shortcut laden Cody match or listen to another promo where he uses his Dad's memory to get support he can't get himself.

And yes, I only came on this thread to put the boot in. I'm frankly disappointed with the rest of you.

• Paid Members
2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I'm not hugely surprised.

You've always liked him....

On 12/3/2021 at 12:33 PM, LaGoosh said:

He's not, he's just shite.

.... despite what you said earlier.

2 hours ago, LaGoosh said:

I think this is the evidence that Cody is the best worker alive. Nickname, logo, theme music all make him sound and look like a superstar, so he is a superstar. Everyone wants him to be good enough to be the champ, so he will be. It's that simple. He's worked everyone. That's the name of the game, getting people to eat what you're serving up.

1 hour ago, Carbomb said:

I remember Dustin using it back in wCw

You most certainly didn't!!

30 minutes ago, BrodyGraham said:

Never, I'll never come round to that pigeon legged, Nepo-Baby shitarse. If anything I'm glad he's doing well in WWE because it means I'll never have to watch another rote shortcut laden Cody match or listen to another promo where he uses his Dad's memory to get support he can't get himself.

And yes, I only came on this thread to put the boot in. I'm frankly disappointed with the rest of you.

I can’t believe I have to do this again.

Fucking nepo baby?

He was booked into the ground in the WWE, in the grand tradition of McMahon’s trying to humiliate Rhodes’, and actually left. He picked up his ball and went ‘fine I’ll play elsewhere’.

In a world full of WWE internet favourites who have by now put up with decades of derisory booking and trips to Saudi, he actually did the thing no one has the balls to do. In the gratitude era, he said ‘thanks but no thanks’.

Then he went and travelled the world and got over amongst fans who didn’t like him to begin with because he was considered a product of WWE. Then he actually STARTED A COMPANY that everyone loves.

He built his star(dust) to the point he was - to parrot his kayfabe line - ‘undeniable’ and came back to try and achieve his genuine lifelong dream.

I love KO, and Sami or whoever the fuck else you want to mention, but good grief Cody has done it the hard, hard way.

I fully understand criticisms of his goofy hair or silly promo style or even his ring work. If you don’t get it you don’t get it, fine. But he’s not a fucking nepo baby. By any metric his family name was either net neutral, and arguably at times a hindrance. It got him in the door, but there was a fucking lot of new closed doors from there that he had to force his own way through.

Choo choo.

The American Nightmare character has always traded off the name. The amount of Cody promo's that take 15 minutes to say fuck all because he has to do the thing where he brings up his Dad's name and then has to pause to look at the crowd who are chanting, 'Dusty' for 5 minutes and then his voice breaks and he sheds a single tear and then he gets all shouty and inspirational................

Get fucked.

Even the two promo's  I've seen him do in WWE since he came back traded on Dusty's name.

I don't like Randy Orton but at least when he's either good or shit, he's doing it largely on his own terms.