The many sins of Cody Rhodes

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

I'd say he sort of has - by being one of the big fish in the small pond, and having contributed to the success of AEW (a company that has not only done well, but created actual competition for WWE both in terms of audience and workers, which hasn't been achieved since wCw), he's raised his profile as someone who can make things happen and and get focus on them. I'm thinking more of the success of All Out - initially a seemingly one-off event, it was unheard-of for something like that to do that well, headlined by two WWE midcarders, and we ended up with a match which, despite having a bit of a crap build-up, wowed a lot of people, and built up much anticipation for whatever Cody was going to do next. Those NWA matches with Aldis also did quite well, considering no-one had really given a shiny shit about the NWA title for some time (although, to be fair, Corgan and Aldis get a chunk of credit for that too).

It is possible to overstate the case: it looks to me that he was as much a beneficiary of good timing and fortunate connections as skill in marketing and working ability, but he still deserves credit. He's made waves in ways that nobody ever would have imagined him capable of prior to leaving WWE. But there's also the question: is that the only place where his skill lies? Being a main-eventer in WWE requires a different set of skills to those required for making a noise in the indies or building up a nascent upstart company. Is he capable of the evolution required, or will his legacy end there? Eh? Eh?

• Paid Members
39 minutes ago, Tommy! said:

Has he? I was of the understanding he was a mid carder, left and was a big fish in a small pond until he settled back into the mid card when real stars rocked up and the novelty wore off. He's now left and is a big deal on the expectation he'll settle back into the mid card when the novelty wares off.

He's being presented under the gimmick and presentation he created, while also being trusted to continue doing the type of media scrums he set up in AEW. Between his return and first promo, they've had over 5 million youtube views, in addition to all the search traffic I talked about earlier.

That's an asset they never believed they had in Cody Rhodes before. Whether he and they can capitalise on this or whether this is the absolute peak is another question.

People will always underestimate Cody as a worker. I don't mean his in ring stuff, but he managed to work fans into giving a shit about his "dream matches," worked his way into a prominent spot in the Bullet Club, worked fans into caring about the NWA title, worked people into taking a risk with All In and worked a billionaire's son into building a company around him. And he worked fans into being ardent supporters of him for a long time. 

But like his papa, the shine wears off. Dusty was an exceptional worker who made fans believe in him and made promoters kept turning to him even when they'd already given up on him before. But sooner or later it'd be too much Dusty, whether that would be him all over the show or too much of his trademark booking. Eventually you'd want to shake the dust of your boots and have a shower. And Dusty was 10 times the babyface Cody is.

In ring, I don't think Cody's hit his peak yet. He's still a guy who seems to do everything he can rather than a guy who does exactly what he needs. 

Backstage though, Cody was able to work the AEW office for a good couple of years before they soured on him. I'd imagine he can do the same in the WWE. And if not, give it a couple of years and he'll come back to AEW and work his way into being their saviour for a couple of years. 

Ultimately though, if he's after television roles it probably doesn't matter what kind of push he receives in the WWE he's probably made the right decision. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

The Jim Cornette Cody/Brandi Rhodes onmibuses are up on Youtube. There are two parts. One is just over 11 hours long, the other is just shy of 10.

• 3 weeks later...

Cody's Broken Skull Sessions was one of the worst ever. Well...at least the first half was. I couldn't make it through with him doing that American Nightmare shoot-character-shoot thing he does where you're never sure on the sincerity of anything because he's like some villain in a Batman movie running for local election. 

There was about ten minutes at the start with him and Austin talking about expensive watches that's genuinely the most witlessly bored I've ever been watching any wrestling related content ever. 

• Paid Members
58 minutes ago, Gay as FOOK said:

There was about ten minutes at the start with him and Austin talking about expensive watches that's genuinely the most witlessly bored I've ever been watching any wrestling related content ever. 

At least one member here will be pleased to see it

• Paid Members

Cody is the ultimate carny, there's a reason he has gotten himself in such a high profile position while being terribly average. He's like The Miz in that he can be trusted to run the media side of the game, just a shame he doesn't have the charisma of The Miz.

• Paid Members
46 minutes ago, Nick James said:

Cody is the ultimate carny, there's a reason he has gotten himself in such a high profile position while being terribly average. He's like The Miz in that he can be trusted to run the media side of the game, just a shame he doesn't have the charisma of The Miz.

Well sure, but did Miz solve racism in the US? 1-0 Cody.

• Paid Members

Tbh Austin is a terrible interviewer and his only good shows have been when he's had really good and easy guests on. He's not like Sean Oliver who managed to get a decent interview out of Danny Doring and Vader. If they had someone who had any talent for that sort of thing, Cody's could have made for a great show. I'd bet that Ariel Helwani or Renee Paquette would get a superb interview out of him.

Edited by Devon Malcolm