Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 22, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted March 22, 2024 (edited) 4 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said: His dad was "The American Dream" and Cody wanted to oppose that. The opposite of a dream is a nightmare, hence "The American Nightmare" Yeah I understand it as a character concept but the "American Nightmare" isn't actually the character he's portraying. How has he opposed his Dad or portrayed a character in stark contrast to the American Dream? How is accomplishing more than his father make him the "Nightmare"? And I don't think he's stepping out of his father's shadow when he brings him up all the time, mentions his family at the start of his entrance music and has his nickname tattoo'd on his chest. To me, the true American Nightmare would be someone who completely rejects his fathers character, values and spits on his family legacy. That would be a genuine opposite of the 'American Dream'. His current character has loads in common with his father's character. So why is a character primarily based on virtuous values and principles calling himself the Nightmare? Edited March 22, 2024 by LaGoosh Quote
Snitsky's back acne Posted March 22, 2024 Posted March 22, 2024 22 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: Yeah I understand it as a character concept but the "American Nightmare" isn't actually the character he's portraying. How has he opposed his Dad or portrayed a character in stark contrast to the American Dream? How is accomplishing more than his father make him the "Nightmare"? And I don't think he's stepping out of his father's shadow when he brings him up all the time, mentions his family at the start of his entrance music and has his nickname tattoo'd on his chest. To me, the true American Nightmare would be someone who completely rejects his fathers character, values and spits on his family legacy. That would be a genuine opposite of the 'American Dream'. His current character has loads in common with his father's character. So why is a character primarily based on virtuous values and principles calling himself the Nightmare? It's wrestling. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 22, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted March 22, 2024 4 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said: It's wrestling. Great post, thanks. Quote
SwayWays Posted March 22, 2024 Posted March 22, 2024 I always kind of just took "The American Nightmare" as Cody just being his own man, and being an irrepressible "nightmare" to opponents on the indies. But more of a rejecting the way his father was treated in a way. But when he joined WWE he kinda just be came Total Divas John Cena with a dead dad. I mean don't get me wrong, I'm definitely a fan, I just think now it's become a cool name (that others, lik his brother had first). But it's not really anything beyond that, just kinda "I'm doing it my way" and he has. I mean even finishing the story was getting the belt his dad never got. I wonder where it'll go once he's got it. Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted March 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted March 22, 2024 I always thought the initial American Nightmare run he was a heel, am I wrong? I would also say that there is certainly a perception that the "American Dream" has turned into the "American Nightmare" in the US. I am probably talking shit, but that is how I have always seen it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not a Cody superfan, I haven't really given him lots of thought, this just seemed easily apparent to me. Again I would also say that fans don't connect with surface characters the way they have connected with Cody, no matter how hard they are pushed. It's why Karrion Kross performs to silence every night. I would also say that the names/nicknames that wrestlers give themselves or are given at the beginning of a run are often not related to their character for more than a couple of months at the start, if they ever are at all. For example I don't think that Stone Cold Steve Austin was ever below room temperature. I don't think Tugboat ever maneuvered larger ships into position and I don't think The Rock is sedimentary or igneous. If names were changed all the time to make sense there would be so many changes that a wrestler would not be able to build enough name recognition. I for one have no desire to see The Middle Aged Bucks team with Okada. Mainly because the initials of Middle Aged Bucks spell out MAB and no one needs that in their lives. Quote
Merzbow Posted March 22, 2024 Posted March 22, 2024 Dustin had already used The American Nightmare during the dying days of WCW, didn't he? After he shot on the whole Seven deal. I think it suited him much more seeing as he did have quite a lot of issues with his dad. Quote
MVP RULZ Posted March 22, 2024 Posted March 22, 2024 (edited) 9 hours ago, SuperBacon said: Voddy Rhodes. How long is Cody's right arm in that picture? That's all I take from that advert Awful editing job Edited March 22, 2024 by MVP RULZ Mis spelling Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted March 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted March 22, 2024 I'm fairly happy with "The American Nightmare." It's a nod to his dad, he often wears stars n stripes. I don't ask for much. I still don't know what "The Archer Of Infamy" means though. 4 hours ago, Shane O' Mac Version 2 said: If he starts doing shots of vodka and giving middle fingers after hitting everyone in sight with Cody Cutters, maybe I'll start to like him. Better not. Enough drunken mistakes in his bloodline already. Quote
DavidB6937 Posted March 22, 2024 Posted March 22, 2024 9 hours ago, SuperBacon said: Voddy Rhodes. Vodka? Fucks sake. The many gins of Cody Rhodes was right there. Quote
Chili Posted March 22, 2024 Posted March 22, 2024 It's just a play on his Dad's nickname and I don't think it's ever really had anything deep attached to it. Kinda like Monster Island actually being a peninsula. Quote
Mr_Danger Posted March 22, 2024 Posted March 22, 2024 2 hours ago, MVP RULZ said: How long is Cody's right arm in that picture? That's all I take from that advert Awful editing job Quote
Snitsky's back acne Posted March 22, 2024 Posted March 22, 2024 4 hours ago, LaGoosh said: Great post, thanks. My point is, you're overthinking it. It's wrestling. It's really not that deep. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 22, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted March 22, 2024 3 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said: My point is, you're overthinking it. It's wrestling. It's really not that deep. If you're making a point then actually explain your point. Just writing "it's wrestling" is completely meaningless. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted March 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted March 22, 2024 40 minutes ago, Snitsky's back acne said: My point is, you're overthinking it. It's wrestling. It's really not that deep. I think it usually is, when the most frequently discussed topic this year has been the various preferences towards Roman vs Cody or Roman vs Rock at Mania this year (also next year, also last year) and the reasons behind one preference or the other. Otherwise the Raw and SmackDown threads would have just been the same 10 posters going back and forth saying “I like Cody more” and “well I like Rocky more” for the last three months. Quote
Pinc Posted March 22, 2024 Posted March 22, 2024 50 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: If you're making a point then actually explain your point. Just writing "it's wrestling" is completely meaningless. Oh be nice. Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.