Paid Members Devon Malcolm Posted March 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted March 22, 2024 What are we saying here? Because "it's wrestling" that we shouldn't read even the slightest meaning into anything? What a shallow and boring way to view it all. Quote
d-d-d-dAz Posted March 22, 2024 Posted March 22, 2024 (edited) Best explanation I ever heard was from Michael Cole, who said it related to his determination to never give up, to always get up, to always be in his opponents face ready for a fight and be their 'worst nightmare'. I didn't hate that as a retcon explanation of a name that actually doesn't make much sense on paper, because the actual answer is he picked that nickname when he was a heel in the indies/NJPW and it just stuck (I'm fairly sure). I think it's harsh to say everything with Cody is surface level. If anything I think he overthinks things, but just isn't as clever as he wants to be. The stuff with the kids and disabled fans is genuine too, I think. Edited March 22, 2024 by d-d-d-dAz Quote
Paid Members Lorne Malvo Posted March 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted March 22, 2024 I know one thing. He's going to be Reigns 'American Nightmare' at Wrestlemania, and there's nothing Reigns can do about it!! Quote
Paid Members Lion_of_the_Midlands Posted March 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted March 22, 2024 10 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said: but just isn't as clever as he wants to be. Who amongst us is. 10 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said: The stuff with the kids and disabled fans is genuine too, I think. I really hope so. I think there are plenty of sides to Cody, he's never come across as shallow to me. As has been pointed out though, he looks like a Batman villain. Surely there will be a proper heel run somewhere down the line. That could be amazing to watch. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted March 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted March 22, 2024 12 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said: I know one thing. He's going to be Reigns 'American Nightmare' at Wrestlemania, and there's nothing Reigns can do about it!! Nothing, and like it. Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 22, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted March 22, 2024 29 minutes ago, Pinc said: Oh be nice. What's wrong with asking people to actually explain their incredibly vague posts? Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 22, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted March 22, 2024 17 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said: I think it's harsh to say everything with Cody is surface level. If anything I think he overthinks things, but just isn't as clever as he wants to be. The stuff with the kids and disabled fans is genuine too, I think. To clarify I don't think Cody as a person is surface level or shallow. I think he's a very genuine and decent bloke who very much wants to be a hero to fans everywhere and that's awesome. But for me his character work and storytelling in matches comes off as very surface level type stuff lacking in real depth, he's never seen a short cut he hasn't liked and he likes to create moments but often doesn't create the connective tissue around them to give them real meaning. But everyone else seems to like him so what the fuck do I know? Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted March 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted March 22, 2024 Well, I like Cody more. The guy is fantastic, but he does seem a bit lacking when it comes to subtlety or nuance sometimes. You know how lots of guys have made veiled comments about "lots left to offer the sport" "lots more I want to do in pro wrestling" "plenty of fresh opponents out there for me" when they leave WWE? Fucker literally wrote it all down and Tweeted it. Bless him. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted March 22, 2024 Members Posted March 22, 2024 So anyway, that vodka picture eh.... Quote
Pinc Posted March 22, 2024 Posted March 22, 2024 18 minutes ago, LaGoosh said: What's wrong with asking people to actually explain their incredibly vague posts? Because you’re being a wee crank. How come ‘American Nightmare’ is so overflowing with meaning that Cody’s character has to exactly match your head canon. But ‘its wrestling’ is so meaningless that you react with salty bafflement? Quote
organizedkaos Posted March 22, 2024 Posted March 22, 2024 56 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said: What are we saying here? Because "it's wrestling" that we shouldn't read even the slightest meaning into anything? What a shallow and boring way to view it all. Also seems an antithetical attitude to posting on an internet message board for wrestling Quote
Paid Members LaGoosh Posted March 22, 2024 Author Paid Members Posted March 22, 2024 (edited) 17 minutes ago, Pinc said: Because you’re being a wee crank. How come ‘American Nightmare’ is so overflowing with meaning that Cody’s character has to exactly match your head canon. But ‘its wrestling’ is so meaningless that you react with salty bafflement? Not really sure what your issue is here but in an attempt to explain what should be simple and obvious. My original post simply asked "what's the American Nightmare stuff all about"? Someone else posted their thoughts and I responded with my own views. I'm not angry or stressed that Cody's nickname doesn't fit with some kind of "head canon" that you've imagined I have. We're just discussing stuff here because discussing stuff is interesting and fun. That's the whole point of this place. Meanwhile someone just responding to you saying nothing more than "It's wrestling" with no further explanation is completely meaningless and one could argue goes against the entire point of even coming to this DISCUSSION forum and is actually a fairly patronising response. But if you want to continue to make assumptions about what emotions I'm having in response to this nonsense, please feel free. Edited March 22, 2024 by LaGoosh Quote
Paid Members Carbomb Posted March 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted March 22, 2024 25 minutes ago, Pinc said: salty bafflement? Sounds like a Tory MP. Cody's advertising vodka, is married to Brandi - hope he doesn't start a stable with Bailey in it. Quote
Paid Members air_raid Posted March 22, 2024 Paid Members Posted March 22, 2024 11 minutes ago, Carbomb said: Cody's advertising vodka, is married to Brandi - hope he doesn't start a stable with Bailey in it. Or the Archers Of Infamy. Quote
Members SuperBacon Posted March 22, 2024 Members Posted March 22, 2024 54 minutes ago, SuperBacon said: So anyway, that vodka picture eh.... Quote
Recommended Posts
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.