The many sins of Cody Rhodes

LaGoosh

• Paid Members

What are we saying here? Because "it's wrestling" that we shouldn't read even the slightest meaning into anything? What a shallow and boring way to view it all.

Best explanation I ever heard was from Michael Cole, who said it related to his determination to never give up, to always get up, to always be in his opponents face ready for a fight and be their 'worst nightmare'.

I didn't hate that as a retcon explanation of a name that actually doesn't make much sense on paper, because the actual answer is he picked that nickname when he was a heel in the indies/NJPW and it just stuck (I'm fairly sure).

I think it's harsh to say everything with Cody is surface level. If anything I think he overthinks things, but just isn't as clever as he wants to be. The stuff with the kids and disabled fans is genuine too, I think.

Edited by d-d-d-dAz

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

but just isn't as clever as he wants to be.

Who amongst us is. 

10 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

The stuff with the kids and disabled fans is genuine too, I think.

I really hope so. 

I think there are plenty of sides to Cody, he's never come across as shallow to me. As has been pointed out though, he looks like a Batman villain. Surely there will be a proper heel run somewhere down the line. That could be amazing to watch. 

• Paid Members
12 minutes ago, Lorne Malvo said:

I know one thing. He's going to be Reigns 'American Nightmare' at Wrestlemania, and there's nothing Reigns can do about it!!

Nothing, and like it.

Alex Shane - Alchetron, The Free Social Encyclopedia

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, d-d-d-dAz said:

I think it's harsh to say everything with Cody is surface level. If anything I think he overthinks things, but just isn't as clever as he wants to be. The stuff with the kids and disabled fans is genuine too, I think.

To clarify I don't think Cody as a person is surface level or shallow. I think he's a very genuine and decent bloke who very much wants to be a hero to fans everywhere and that's awesome. But for me his character work and storytelling in matches comes off as very surface level type stuff lacking in real depth, he's never seen a short cut he hasn't liked and he likes to create moments but often doesn't create the connective tissue around them to give them real meaning. But everyone else seems to like him so what the fuck do I know?

• Paid Members

Well, I like Cody more.

The guy is fantastic, but he does seem a bit lacking when it comes to subtlety or nuance sometimes. You know how lots of guys have made veiled comments about "lots left to offer the sport" "lots more I want to do in pro wrestling" "plenty of fresh opponents out there for me" when they leave WWE?

RhodesList.jpg

Fucker literally wrote it all down and Tweeted it. Bless him.

18 minutes ago, LaGoosh said:

What's wrong with asking people to actually explain their incredibly vague posts?

Because you’re being a wee crank.

How come ‘American Nightmare’ is so overflowing with meaning that Cody’s character has to exactly match your head canon. But ‘its wrestling’ is so meaningless that you react with salty bafflement?

56 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

What are we saying here? Because "it's wrestling" that we shouldn't read even the slightest meaning into anything? What a shallow and boring way to view it all.

Also seems an antithetical attitude to posting on an internet message board for wrestling

• Paid Members
Posted (edited)
17 minutes ago, Pinc said:

Because you’re being a wee crank.

How come ‘American Nightmare’ is so overflowing with meaning that Cody’s character has to exactly match your head canon. But ‘its wrestling’ is so meaningless that you react with salty bafflement?

Not really sure what your issue is here but in an attempt to explain what should be simple and obvious.

My original post simply asked "what's the American Nightmare stuff all about"? Someone else posted their thoughts and I responded with my own views. I'm not angry or stressed that Cody's nickname doesn't fit with some kind of "head canon" that you've imagined I have. We're just discussing stuff here because discussing stuff is interesting and fun. That's the whole point of this place. Meanwhile someone just responding to you saying nothing more than "It's wrestling" with no further explanation is completely meaningless and one could argue goes against the entire point of even coming to this DISCUSSION forum and is actually a fairly patronising response. But if you want to continue to make assumptions about what emotions I'm having in response to this nonsense, please feel free.

Edited by LaGoosh

• Paid Members
25 minutes ago, Pinc said:

salty bafflement?

Sounds like a Tory MP.

Cody's advertising vodka, is married to Brandi - hope he doesn't start a stable with Bailey in it.

• Paid Members
11 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Cody's advertising vodka, is married to Brandi - hope he doesn't start a stable with Bailey in it.

Or the Archers Of Infamy.