#BlackLivesMatter

Michael_3165

4 hours ago, bono said:

i was talking to one of my black friends about it. Which I despise calling him a black friend cause he isn’t that to me but I’ve got to call him that on here to make the point .  His words were . My dad came here from Jamaica and went through hell to pave the way for people like him to have a good life here . He said he is married with 3 kids who all go to school owns his own house owns his own business , never had any forms or equality thrown against him he said what do I have to moan about it’s my dad that did the hard work . 

That's great, and it's a good example of how far we've come, but you should probably accept that his experience of being black in modern Britain may not be shared by everyone - and outside some of the major cities, a black face is still unusual enough to elicit comment.

There are people of colour on here who I'm sure can give you examples of small experiences of casual racism, or systemic racism in the workplace or in school.  I'm as white as a fluffy cloud, but I'm married to someone of Arab descent and occasionally that elicits comment which is jarring, or we'll not get served in a restaurant (as happened down in Cornwall more than once), or she'll not be able to hail a cab in London past a certain time of night, but I will.  People still notice colour, even if they don't realise it, and act instinctively.  

I personally don't think the UK is a "racist" country, and if you (are lucky/privileged enough to be able to afford the luxury of) travelling to other countries around the world you'll certainly find a lot of places that have much more open, casual, ingrained racism.  Travelling around Sri Lanka and seeing how Tamils are treated was a massive eye-opener.

As BomberPat demonstrated above, you can discern when analyzing our society statistically that racial inequality still exists, and still requires a finger on the scale to balance that.  That you, I or your friend don't experience it every day is fantastic but it doesn't invalidate others' narratives.  The genuine anger of a lot of the BLM protesters shows that clearly and their experience requires a response by the political classes.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Chris B said:

I haven't watched this yet Chris, but looking at the thumbnail can you tell me how Joe Mangel off of Neighbours transported himself back in time? Obviously racism has been sorted in this country but I will be fucked if I'm letting time travellers get away with it. 

• Paid Members

For what it's worth, I don't think jail time is in any way appropriate here. Community service, sure. But with non-violent crimes during things like this, I think sentences should be more lenient, not more harsh. I don't agree with why he was there or what he did, but this is pretty clearly out of step with what he did.

• Paid Members
16 minutes ago, Chris B said:

For what it's worth, I don't think jail time is in any way appropriate here. Community service, sure. But with non-violent crimes during things like this, I think sentences should be more lenient, not more harsh. I don't agree with why he was there or what he did, but this is pretty clearly out of step with what he did.

I really think the correct response for any non-Tory politician about sentences for people attacking statues/memorials should be, "we have existing laws against vandalism, and I expect to see them implemented here". It's "law and order" enough to say that the people who did it are doing something wrong, while not cravenly chasing the Tory narrative by suggesting that they deserve a ridiculous, arbitrary inflated penalty.

Labour have shat the bed in response to this one, IMO, though I doubt it matters in the grand scheme of things.

On 6/14/2020 at 1:33 PM, Keith Houchen said:

rocky GIF

That one moment did more for race relations than any protest or wrestling with statues could ever achieve.

It's up there with the agreement that saw the formation of the Venice Beach branch of BLM come into existence...

YUNQAfZ.gif

10 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

I really think the correct response for any non-Tory politician about sentences for people attacking statues/memorials should be, "we have existing laws against vandalism, and I expect to see them implemented here". It's "law and order" enough to say that the people who did it are doing something wrong, while not cravenly chasing the Tory narrative by suggesting that they deserve a ridiculous, arbitrary inflated penalty.

Labour have shat the bed in response to this one, IMO, though I doubt it matters in the grand scheme of things.

I'm pretty sure that the whole thing is to try and draw Labour into a culture war and I think Starmer is careful not the be dragged into it. He's concentrated mainly on Windrush findings and implementing David Lammy's report which are both important and vital for the UK to make any sort of change.  

Starmer has to strike a tone of being liberal but not being 'soft' Its a political balancing act that in a perfect world nobody would care about and nuance would be understood

Culture war stuff barely registers with voters at the moment, its about the pandemic and the economy. Johnson and the Tories want this distraction of it. Why talk about genuine structural and educational change when you can just argue over Winston Churchill's statue. Never mind the deaths and our handling of it, lets talk endlessly about graffiti on a metal horse.

• Paid Members

There's a massive bundle of over 1,000 games, novels, tools, story RPGs, and various bits and bobs going on Itch.io. Titled "Bundle For Racial Justice and Equality". All proceeds go towards the NAACP Legal Defence and Educational Fund, and the Community Bail Fund, split down the middle - you can get access for a minimum donation of $5.

https://itch.io/b/520/bundle-for-racial-justice-and-equality?fbclid=IwAR0eZ1xZBa9fa9TJhWzE6k6o5WjvleeLzpujxFqbZsTUxwPRs_AFKwrCNjQ

If I've posted this in the wrong thread/forum, my apologies - please move it to the appropriate one if so.