#BlackLivesMatter

Michael_3165

I concur with Raab, or he agrees with me, as I was of that opinion well before he opened his trap. Whatever it symbolises to protestors (be it from the 60's or whenever), for far longer it has been regarded as a gesture of; being humbled, submission or pleading/begging. Anyone who wishes to argue that, can do so with themselves. People are free to adopt symbols and gestures as they please, just don't expect the rest of the world to necessarily conform to 'your' interpretation....and the sheer fucking awkwardness of watching white cops taking a semi-arthritic knee, largely under duress, certainly didn't bring a lump to my throat, or convince me of shit.

• Paid Members
10 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

Anyone who wishes to argue that, can do so with themselves.

Two can play your game sunshine. Anyone who wishes to argue my following statement can do so with themselves:

I've always thought that KingofSports was a moronic fuckwit, and the whole of his last post provided conclusive proof that he is. 

In Japan, shooting your load over girls in school uniform while they're on public transport and kicking the fuck out of apprentices are both signs of respect so the rest of the world can fuck off.

(Colin Kaepernick stared the take a knee because he wanted to show solidarity and remember the victims of racist police but didn't want to disrespect the anthem or flag by staying in the dressing room, which was his original plan.  A marine told him that they took a knee to remember fallen comrades when the anthem was played at their memorials so Kap took his advice and used that.  So if anything, the ones disrespecting the flag were the ones who commemorated those who died for the flag)

• Paid Members
59 minutes ago, KingofSports said:

I concur with Raab, or he agrees with me, as I was of that opinion well before he opened his trap. Whatever it symbolises to protestors (be it from the 60's or whenever), for far longer it has been regarded as a gesture of; being humbled, submission or pleading/begging. Anyone who wishes to argue that, can do so with themselves. People are free to adopt symbols and gestures as they please, just don't expect the rest of the world to necessarily conform to 'your' interpretation....and the sheer fucking awkwardness of watching white cops taking a semi-arthritic knee, largely under duress, certainly didn't bring a lump to my throat, or convince me of shit.

Given the sheer number of people not only adopting it as a symbol, but also those criticising people taking a knee in protest (and thus validating it as a protest gesture), as well as the discussion it's generated wordlwide and the coverage it's had in the mass media, I would say "the rest of the world" = you and Dominic "There's Nothing Behind That Door, Honest" Raab.

How long it's been used means nothing. Language and culture changes all the time - the only thing that makes any difference is meaning, and how much that is conveyed to and accepted by people. Kaepernick explained what it meant, and others accepted it and used it. I accept it. Others on here accept it. We all know people in the real world away from here who accept it, and they in turn know others out there who accept it. Not sure what you get out of trying to pretend otherwise.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, KingofSports said:

Gay doesn't just mean happy anymore. 

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, HarmonicGenerator said:

But is that just coincidence?

From NPR's The Veteran And NFL Player Who Advised Kaepernick To Take A Knee:

So you probably know all this, but what you might not know is why Kaepernick started kneeling to begin with as opposed to something else, and that's where Nate Boyer comes in. He's a former active-duty Green Beret who had a stint in the NFL with the Seattle Seahawks. He initially advised Kaepernick to take a knee instead of sitting down during the anthem as a sign of respect. He recently wrote about this, so we called him.

BOYER: You know, this was two years ago, 2016 during the preseason. And he, you know, had sat on the bench. And I think it was actually his third time he'd sat on the bench. But it was the first time it had received national attention. And, you know, he got questioned about it, and he said, well, I'm not going to stand for the flag of a country that oppresses black people and people of color. And then he talked about, you know, social injustices and police brutality and why he thought, you know, he shouldn't be standing for the anthem.

And it struck a chord with me, of course, and it struck a chord with a lot of people - a lot of people in the veteran community as well - because obviously the flag and the anthem and what that stuff stands for means something, you know, very different to us. And I was pretty upset, you know, just because I felt like he didn't understand what those symbols really represent. And - but instead of letting my anger overwhelm me, I decided to relax a little bit, and I wrote this open letter that was just explaining my experiences, my relationship to the flag.

And Colin actually reached out, said he wanted to meet with me. And we sat in the lobby of the team hotel, discussed our situation, our different opinions and feelings about all this. And I suggested him taking a knee instead of sitting even though I wanted him to stand, and he wanted to sit. And it was, like, this compromise that we sort of came to. And that's where the kneeling began.

MARTIN: How did the idea of taking a knee come to you?

BOYER: I thought - at that time I said, look, I think your point has definitely been made that everyone's listening. Like, let's make a plan of attack now. And, you know, let's work on action for it. But he said, you know, what I've committed to this, and - I'm not going to do it until I start to see these changes I want to see. And, you know, I respected that decision and opinion. And I thought kneeling - personally, so I don't speak for everybody, I don't speak for every veteran. I've been told that numerous times by many people. But I thought kneeling was more respectful, and I will say that being alongside his teammates was the biggest thing for me.

And, you know, people - in my opinions and in my experience, kneeling's never been in our history really seen as a disrespectful act. I mean, people kneel when they get knighted. You kneel to propose to your wife, and you take a knee to pray. And soldiers often take a knee in front of a fallen brother's grave to pay respects. So I thought, if anything, besides standing, that was the most respectful. But, of course, that's just my opinion.

Genuflection has always been a sign of respect.  It's an entirely appropriate gesture in the circumstances that Kaeparnick found himself.  There's also always been an element of submission to it though, which is why I found pictures of policemen kneeling to protesters a bit odd.  Kneel WITH them in prayer or reflection, but don't kneel TO them.