#BlackLivesMatter

Michael_3165

45 minutes ago, jazzygeofferz said:

Saw a friend post this on her Facebook this morning. BLM protestors helping one of the other group get out of there for medical attention after they'd been battered. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/home-news/black-lives-matter-protest-carries-injured-far-right-safety-waterloo-london-a9564946.html

That should be the image of the whole weekend 

45 minutes ago, Hannibal Scorch said:

If you don’t think you’re racist because you don’t agree with racism, or because you have a friend or friends that are black, that’s great. But just because that’s what you do, doesn’t mean everyone does. 

if you think racism doesn’t exist because you’re not a part of the problem, or it’s never effected you, doesn’t stop racism, systematically or personally being a problem.

My godson is mixed race. My daughter from birth has had my friends, and there kids in her life. She had no idea skin colour was an issue. When she was 4, she bought a book about Rosa Parks from a kids range called Little People, Big Dreams (highly recommend the series to any parents here btw). My wife read it to her, and my daughter said to her, “does that mean I couldn’t be friends with Tobias and Josiah then?” My wife said reading the book she felt sick, having to explain what used to happen and what segregation meant. My daughter, through those books and others understands more about racism then I ever got taught a school. 

Right now is a great opportunity for people to listen and learn. There is no magic plaster, there is no quick fix, but if we don’t try and change our ways, it will always be an issue. I just hope that we can raise the next generation to be better then a lot of us would be. But that also means in school we do teach more about the history of slavery, issues of race and diversity so we can all do better. But just saying I’m not racist so racism doesn’t exist here, isn’t enough.

On that point I read a column, and his point of view on the statues were they should be left alone as a symbol of how far society has come. I agree and disagree with him I see both sides of the argument.

on the teaching about slavery at school , I’m not agreeing with you but I’m not disagreeing with you . My question would be would that cause a divide in the class room ,would young black kids be picked on in classes about this . Would It educate young white kids it to thinking how it was then and that they can do that now  ? Would it do more harm then good ? 

my daughter has baby dolls and some of them are black dolls . The way I teach her is you call this doll by its name not by its skin colour . I would hate for her to say “dad I want my brown doll “ instead she calls it Anna belle. I would hate for her to come home from school and say I’m playing with the Indian girl dad , but she doesn’t she calls that person by her name . In my opinion if all kids are brought up like that  then skin colour would never be an issue 

I thought society had come that far that we identify people by their names not by their colour or religion? 

Edited by bono

7 minutes ago, Devon Malcolm said:

Quadruple post.

I’ve had to go for a lie down. Hopefully when I’m ok, the throat slashing video that doesn’t lie will have been posted. He must have missed that request. 

4 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

I’ve had to go for a lie down. Hopefully when I’m ok, the throat slashing video that doesn’t lie will have been posted. He must have missed that request. 

Thinking of you at this difficult time. PM me if you need hun x

13 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

I tug it to Nicki Minaj music videos so I don't think racism exists any more.  I fail to see what all the fuss is about.

You really have to get it spot on with the videos with guest appearances though. One slip up and you're jizzing to 6ix9ine or Lil Wayne.

• Paid Members
5 hours ago, bono said:

it was only in the 1970’s were black people had to sit on a certain side of the bus or have playgrounds were split in half to separate white and black kids . It was in the 1970’s were black players had bananas thrown at them at football games , were monkey chants were a normal thing . Go back further in history and it will make you sick to the stomach , would all this happen today ? No it wouldn’t and it hasn’t happened for a long while 

people need to look at there history and compare society today to how it was . Show me any industry that isn’t equal these days show me any school that isn’t mixed race ? Any university that doesn’t have people from all sorts of background in , show me a football club that doesn’t have players from all over of all colour playing for them ? Show me we’re racism is accepted in society? 

This isn't true. Segregation hasn't really been a thing in the UK in the way it was in the US. I'm not guaranteeing it didn't happen in some places, but it's never been policy. Our attitudes to racism have always been more subtle.

It's worth having a look at this - I've linked to the relevant bit, but if it doesn't start there, it's at 25:12. It's a training film by Burgess Meredith (the Penguin from the 60s Batman series) for US soldiers on how to behave while in Britain. And there's a section where they talk about the lack of segregation in the UK, and how US soldiers will have to get past their old-fashoined prejudice in order to work together.

EDIT: If you have time to watch the whole thing, it's lovely and gently funny throughout. The opening section is about how to act in a British pub, which is really fun.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

You really have to get it spot on with the videos with guest appearances though. One slip up and you're jizzing to 6ix9ine or Lil Wayne.

Two birds with one stone proof that neither racism or homophobia exist. 

• Moderators
1 minute ago, Chris B said:

This isn't true. Segregation hasn't really been a thing in the UK in the way it was in the US. I'm not guaranteeing it didn't happen in some places, but it's never been policy. Our attitudes to racism have always been more subtle.

It's worth having a look at this - I've linked to the relevant bit, but if it doesn't start there, it's at 25:12. It's a training film by Burgess Meredith (the Penguin from the 60s Batman series) for US soldiers on how to behave while in Britain. And there's a section where they talk about the lack of segregation in the UK, and how US soldiers will have to get past their old-fashoined prejudice in order to work together.

Fuck knows why they say Aber is the capital of Wales in though.