#BlackLivesMatter

Michael_3165

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, BomberPat said:

Labour have shat the bed in response to this one, IMO

At least it's a reaction. If Keir Starmer went into a coma would any fucker notice.

• Paid Members
On 6/12/2020 at 9:32 PM, Chest Rockwell said:

Might be a bit extreme but I don't think we should have public statues of any real people tbh. Solves the problem completely and they're really not necessary.

I'd second that as a concept, although how do you feel about statues or installations too a person? We have one in our town to someone but its just a naval themed art installation with his name on a plaque rather than off him for example. 

I'm pleased to have read of some more taken down from public display as they have no place being there. I stand by them having historical significance, even if only to challenge our rose tinted self perception of our history, in the right hands and location even if I'm in the minority. But from what I've seen, heard and read of the government's response to the removal of monuments and statues it hasn't had much impact on the mindset and approach of government, which is where change is required to move forward. 

One claim I read, although the source escapes me, is that the main response pushed for by a number of MPs was longer sentences for people damaging or removing them, which completely ignores why people have removed them in the first place and what people are out there protesting for in the first place. 

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, johnnyboy said:

I hope it's an elaborate jape rather than "All Statues Matter."

It's only a 30-minute walk from me. I'm basking in being able to isolate myself from the world without it being perceived as a stigma but I'm very tempted to pop down there and see who they're protecting it from. Plus they're probably very bored and would welcome a chat. I suppose I could ask them what their favourite George Eliot book is. "I like all 'is books, mate."

• Awards Moderator

Any chance you could summarise the content, for those of us who won't want to give that link the click it wants? I'm sure we'll then provide discussion on it.

Anyway, regardless of what that mad bigot says, I'm pretty sure it has no relevance to the two-fight deal they've just signed up to.

Edited by Frankie Crisp

3 hours ago, Frankie Crisp said:

Any chance you could summarise the content, for those of us who won't want to give that link the click it wants?

Basically, that if he'd said for people not to shop in black or Asian-owned shops he'd have been crucified, he's subjected to racism as a traveller, travellers are the only people that it's okay to be racist towards, colour doesn't exist to him as he's got the most diverse team in boxing, Joshua will lose a lot of fans for what he said, that kind of shite.

I like big Fury, he's a hell of a fighter and I'll still want him to win over Joshua to complete the amazing comeback from where he was a few years back, but by fuck is he not the sharpest tool in the shed.

You'd hope he'd have learned to just keep his mouth shut. He got into hot water years back for being a moron, and it seems he's not learned anything from that.

Edited by David

8 hours ago, David said:

Basically, that if he'd said for people not to shop in black or Asian-owned shops he'd have been crucified, he's subjected to racism as a traveller, travellers are the only people that it's okay to be racist towards, colour doesn't exist to him as he's got the most diverse team in boxing, Joshua will lose a lot of fans for what he said, that kind of shite.

I like big Fury, he's a hell of a fighter and I'll still want him to win over Joshua to complete the amazing comeback from where he was a few years back, but by fuck is he not the sharpest tool in the shed.

You'd hope he'd have learned to just keep his mouth shut. He got into hot water years back for being a moron, and it seems he's not learned anything from that.

So you don’t agree that if fury had of said that but the opposite way round there wouldn’t have been a bigger fuss made ? 

What Joshua has said has been brushed under the carpet so you really think the same would have happened if Fury said the exact same words but the other way round ?