#BlackLivesMatter

Michael_3165

• Paid Members

I live on the outskirts of Reading so this one is quite scary, and it’s quite weird seeing places I walk past daily on the news like this. Thoughts with the family and friends of anyone caught up in this, absolutely awful

• Paid Members

Just bumping because I've seen that 'I Am Not Your Negro' is on iPlayer, which is a great documentary based on the writing of James Baldwin. It's framed around the murders of his contemporaries, Malcolm X, Martin Luther King Jr, and Medgar Evers (a name that I don't think reached the international acclaim of the others).

It also makes clear links to the beginnings of the Black Lives Matter protest in 2016, when it was made. It's well worth a look at, if you'd like to learn more about the background to the current situation in the US. Also, all the footage of Baldwin is incredible, particularly when he's talk shows - an astonishing speaker.

"If any white man in the world says give me liberty or give me death, the entire white world applauds. When a black man says exactly the same thing word for word, he is judged a criminal and treated like one. And everything possible is done to make an example of this bad nigger so there won't be any more like him."

Thanks for some of the input guys... this is a bit topic!

I have started watching "The school that tried to end racism" (C4). What an interesting attempt to change the views of 11 year olds in a secondary school.

It was clear that as the first few episodes progressed it was the black students who's attitudes hardened ("well that's England isn't it") whilst the white kids all looked deeply uncomfortable and guilty (the poor ginger boy Henry looked to be having a nervous breakdown on multiple occasions) and the Asian kids were the least offended/upset of the group (though they did mention that they shouldn't be lumped in with black students and were often described as "other". 

I'm not quite sure what to make of it. I can see the premise and why they think it could be helpful whilst at the same time it was very heavy on guilting white students in a primarily white country. 

Anyone else watched this? Apparently its based on a Harvard model that is routinely used in the US. Personally I could imagine it actually stoking anger within student groups I went to school with. 

1 hour ago, Michael_3165 said:

Because there was huge tension around race etc at the best of times. Accusations of racism etc. A very fiery cohort of kids who caused alot of grief all round. 

I wonder if racial tension was somehow linked to non whites being treated differently from whites? It’s almost as if it’s linked in some way!

26 minutes ago, King Coconut said:

Mercedes are blacking up their car for the season opener in support of blacks. I hope we can all black up again someday soon.

That’ll come as good news to those cheeky Spaniards and their whimsical jape about the Hamilton’s. 

This is really interesting, and I'll be absolutely honest something I have been guilty of.

Countless times I've seen a black player dominate midfield (I'm thinking of Yaya Toure for some reason) and referred to them as a "beast" or similar, and that is the very definition of unconscious racism, in that I am not being racist directly, I'm playing with a trope and giving it validation.

Something that needs to be checked and corrected.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/29/groundbreaking-report-reveals-racial-bias-in-english-football-commentary

17 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

This is really interesting, and I'll be absolutely honest something I have been guilty of.

Countless times I've seen a black player dominate midfield (I'm thinking of Yaya Toure for some reason) and referred to them as a "beast" or similar, and that is the very definition of unconscious racism, in that I am not being racist directly, I'm playing with a trope and giving it validation.

Something that needs to be checked and corrected.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2020/jun/29/groundbreaking-report-reveals-racial-bias-in-english-football-commentary

The question is whether you would refer to a white player as a "beast" too? 

Surely its based on physical ability, look and strength? I mean I would call Lesnar, Lashley, Suzuki and others "beasts" but not because of their ethnicity... just because they look like bad motherfuckers who could kick my arse!

On a side note here is the Harvard test for racial bias https://implicit.harvard.edu/implicit/user/agg/blindspot/indexrk.htm

I was surprised to see I have no or little racial bias at all. 

Edited by Michael_3165

4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

That's the whole point of the article. Black players are far more likely to be praised for these attributes over other things such as skill and intelligence.

So praising is a bad thing? If they say "he has no skill but he looks like a beast" then I may agree. 

6 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

That's the whole point of the article. Black players are far more likely to be praised for these attributes over other things such as skill and intelligence.

Don’t know if you heard this at the time (when Jose said there is no racism in football) John Amaechi “Debates” Dave Bassett on the subject. I love the meech. 
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p02tcfmd