#BlackLivesMatter

Michael_3165

• Paid Members
45 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Im sure I’m not the only one who has seen them but during the last few months I’ve seen articles promoted concerning “What happened to the white guy in the picture” stories. I thought it summed up a lot of movements. Peter Norman seemed like a top guy but these articles were like “Smith and Carlos May have changed things but the white man was very important too”

It's a difficult one, because Norman was put through a lot of shit for his support, and I don't want to be dismissive of his suffering for being a good ally, but yeh - it does seem like there's a running attempt to deflect or dilute sometimes.

If I were to assume good faith on the part of the people posting these articles, I'd say that it would be because, unlike back then when allies were very thin on the ground and the black community were almost up against it on their own, there's a much wider movement now with more white people willing to fight, and perhaps they want to encourage greater ally involvement by posting examples of historical instances.

Another problem there is that, like the abolition of slavery, there's a tendency to devolve into self-backslapping rather than introspection and reflection on one's social responsibilities.

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Carbomb said:

If I were to assume good faith on the part of the people posting these articles, I'd say that it would be because, unlike back then when allies were very thin on the ground and the black community were almost up against it on their own, there's a much wider movement now with more white people willing to fight, and perhaps they want to encourage greater ally involvement by posting examples of historical instances.

That's pretty much how I've taken it as well, and it is a great story and example. However, it's a bit frustrating to have seen that article shared a lot more than anything about the actual movement at the time. It's a bit HOW THIS WHITE GUY SOLVED RACISM by helping this black equality movement.

3 hours ago, BigJag said:

Isn't there a similar trope in American Football? Where Quaterbacks are predominantly white. We've seen the way a player like Colin Kapernick has been pretty much pushed out of the game. Despite being a player of high quality. His high level of morality has in part allowed teams to find an excuse for not having him in their teams. Pointing to a perceived divisiveness that may or may not be part of his baggage. In short they just don't want to answer the tough questions that surround Kapernick.  Kam Newton, another high quality black Quaterback is also without a team at the moment.

Historicaly there is a ton of racism around black people playing that position. Thankfully there are a growing number of extremely high profile black and mixed race QB's proving any racists still clinging to that narrative wrong nowadays. Patrick Mahomes the reigning Superbowl MVP is potentially the greatest Quarterback the sport has ever seen. 

Sadly the team owners tend to be old, rich, white guys, who are also friends with Trump funnily enough. I don't think any would mind having a black QB today but they would still screw over Colin Kaepernick. 

It is positive that Roger Goodell the NFL commissioner has given the players free reign to demonstrate this coming season after the league pathetically backed down to Trump in the past. When the league restarts expect massive amounts of public BLM protests from the players. Its going to be hilarious watching Trump and his supporters meltdowns over it.

Edited by Cousin Jim Bob

3 minutes ago, PowerButchi said:

Yeah, I think the story of Peter Norman is meant in good faith when published , but it comes out as the white saviour issue in articles. 

Maybe it’s the only way to sell the story to the public. We’ve seen the pushback on anything where white people aren't the centre of attention.