#BlackLivesMatter

Michael_3165

• Paid Members

Statues tell us more about the society that erects them than about the person being represented - they show us who that society deems worthy of celebration, and nothing more. 

While I wouldn't want to absolutely claim they lack historical value, before the debate around the removal of Confederate statues in America, I don't think you'd find a single person making the argument for statues as an educational tool. It is not, and never had been, what they're for, and the suggestion that statues are a politically neutral aide memoire falls somewhere between extreme naivety and reactionary nonsense.

In terms of what defacing or toppling a statue achieves for people today, it's not necessarily about the statue itself, it's a criticism on how history is taught and understood in our country. It's an extension of calls for schools to teach about British imperialism, for universities to "decolonise" their reading lists, and all manner of other social and academic movements converging. 

Perhaps it's a little abstract, or even utopian, but the hopeful belief is that a more honest reckoning with British history and culture would be a step towards dismantling the jingoism and exceptionalism that has turned entire generations into uncritical flag nonces.

Great move by the majority of BLM to cancel their demos today. As someone who has been to many a counter demo, it’s always the case that while it’s important to let them know they aren’t welcome, if you leave them to it they will kick off amongst themselves. They went looking for a fight so they’ll have one, even if it means with each other. Of course they’ll make out how lefties bottled it and the police who are cultural Marxists taking a knee with commies last week, were heavy handed with honest patriots. 

4 hours ago, Loki said:

...but it doesn't mean that because that's not available to all, it's invalid and doesn't have value and so shouldn't be protected.

But that's also essentially saying that anything that has any value to anyone should be protected, which is bollocks. If a statue reminds 10 people on a daily basis that we revere slavers and inspires only 9, do you agree that the needs of the many should win out? 

8 hours ago, SuperBacon said:

It's just pathetic, but at least making them look fucking ridiculous makes them even more pathetic.

Are you choosing to ignore the footage of a right wing protesters having his throat cut by a BLM Supporter ? Or are you ignoring the videos of BLM supporters running through the streets hunting down right wing supporters ? Or the footage of right wing supporters being booted round the floor like footballs ? Are you ignoring that cause it’s not the side your on ? Like the media like to ignore things and spoon feed people into believing what they want you to believe? 

By the way I’m not a right wing supporter, right wing left wing it’s all A load of bollcoks Why can’t people just get on , who cares what colour somebody’s skin is or what religion they are . We’re past all this as a country have been for years 

Was society that bad beforehand? These BLM marches for equality? Really ? I’m 34 years old and there’s always been equality for Black people ,racism has always been unacceptable in society so why are spoilt brats that’s wouldn’t even know racism if it slapped them in the face storming round like it’s the 1970’s ? Middle class white kids jumping on the bandwagon cause there university’s are closed . What do they want to change ? I’m sorry but your not finding a more multi cultural country then Britain . We’re people of all races and religions live together, live in the same community’s , eat together, work together etc etc London is the most liberal multi cultural city in the world . I ask again was society that bad beforehand? What is going to change ? What can change ? It’s changed thank god , thank goodness we live in a country as good as this were everyone is accepted , so what are people protesting for ? 

I live in West Brom , I work with numerous nationalities, my daughter goes to school with numerous nationalities . My football club are pioneers for black culture and fighting for equality in not just football in local communities. these people protesting, there fathers grandfathers went through absolute hell to get equal rights for their kids and grand kids. 

do they think racism will totally be eradicated? Twats will always be twats it will always be there fortunately we live in a country we’re it’s unacceptable and at a minimum, go to Russia and Eastern Europe that’s racism 

all this bullshit is creating racism and taking us back 40 years , it’s all aload of bollocks !

1 minute ago, bono said:

Are you choosing to ignore the footage of a right wing protesters having his throat cut by a BLM Supporter ?

Yes, because it didn’t happen according to the emergency services, and the footage of him getting up after the incident. But I’m sure you telling the blacks that there has always been equality will be of great comfort to them. 

6 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

Yes, because it didn’t happen according to the emergency services, and the footage of him getting up after the incident. But I’m sure you telling the blacks that there has always been equality will be of great comfort to them. 

“ the blacks “ 

you mean English people that have as much of right to anything in this country .

it didn’t happen ? Videos don’t lie mate people do ? 

Edited by bono

9 minutes ago, bono said:

Was society that bad beforehand? These BLM marches for equality? Really ? I’m 34 years old and there’s always been equality for Black people

I once got chatting to this 70 something odd black woman whilst at a bus stop in Grimsby who looked like crap. She took a different route home the other week and got the crap kicked out of here for walking down the wrong street. Just because you have never seen racism it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.