#BlackLivesMatter

Michael_3165

• Paid Members

I saw someone on twitter talking about the problem here being that BLM is a difficult conversation that we're not used to having. We're not good at white fragility and systemic racism. So a nice, easy 'is comedy offensive?' question is something the media can easily circle-jerk over. 

EDIT: This is part of the reason I didn't try to have the comedy/offense conversation in this thread. They're very different conversations. Unfortunately, they're getting conflated easily in the media narrative.

Edited by Chris B

• Paid Members

It should also be pointed out that, as far as I can tell, there were no calls within the BLM movement for Netflix to do anything. They took action themselves, and it's been conflated to "PC snowflakes demand classic telly be banned" through no fault of their own. Profoundly depressing stuff.

• Moderators

Yep. I think the compete reduction of the issue to something easy and tangible is probably actually quite honest on a lot of peoples' behalf. It's hard to get your head around the bigger issues. But I take a much more dim and cynical view of the media that's pushing this narrative. Most of them were just waiting on anything to pounce on to make this problem go away.

• Paid Members

So Starbucks have banned their employees from wearing anything in support of BLM. 

I'm already boycotting the fuckers for lowering their workers' pay in response to being forced to pay their taxes, but this just carves their name in stone. 

I'll be honest, Johnson's statement up there isn't a millon miles away from my thoughts on this, apart from the absurd and shameful nonsense.

As has been seen this week, as soon as you start evaluating the past purely through the lens of the present, you run into difficulties.  It starts with "take down that statue of a slaver" and ends with people calling for a statue of Gandhi to be removed.  Most people at any point in history fitted fairly neatly into the morals and beliefs of their society, and because we have (according to us) made such great strides in the 20th Century in terms of tolerance and inclusiveness, it means most people before then by our standards will fall short.

It's much better to inform and educate than destroy imo.  Put a plaque up explaining the history of the statue if it's necessary.  I'm not saying "let's have statues of Hitler then lol" but I'd rather Churchill's statue stayed up and people debated passionately about his place in history, than tear it down.

The removal of the statue in Bristol was an amazing event, as a spontaneous local moment, but immediately made less poignant by all the other shit.  Such is the curse of social media, bad ideas travel a lot faster nowadays.

• Paid Members

The man who invented a hobby of making model buses in order to manipulate a Google search algorithm that would have exposed his willingness to lie to the electorate and ostensibly tried to edit history has just said that we're not allowed to edit history? 

Alright then. 

Edited by jazzygeofferz

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Loki said:

Put a plaque up explaining the history of the statue if it's necessary.

They tried to do that with the Colston one. There was opposition from people who didn't think that it should mention he was a slaver.

How would you do that with Churchill, btw? Would you put on it "won us the World War, but also allowed the Bengal famine to happen and hated Arab people"?

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Loki said:

I'd rather Churchill's statue stayed up and people debated passionately about his place in history, than tear it down.

Why do people keep repeating this false dilemma? Why do you think we can't take a statue down and still passionately debate his place in history?

I'm not even saying there aren't good reasons for leaving it up but that sure as shit isn't one.

Might be a bit extreme but I don't think we should have public statues of any real people tbh. Solves the problem completely and they're really not necessary.