#BlackLivesMatter

Michael_3165

• Paid Members

I see Tommy Robinson's lot are down in Whitehall today "protecting statues". I also see very few people on my Facebook newsfeed complaining about the blatent lack of social distancing. 

1 minute ago, Loki said:

Jesus Christ that’s a sad indictment of modern education if that’s true.

Not everything is online and can be learned by reading Wikipedia.  A lot of people who are passionate about history, art, actually go to places in the world and look at stuff.  You should try it.

Fucking hell, that's condescending.

• Paid Members
2 minutes ago, Loki said:

Not everything is online and can be learned by reading Wikipedia.  A lot of people who are passionate about history, art, actually go to places in the world and look at stuff.  You should try it.

Tell me then what I can learn spending hundreds to possibly thousands of pounds to travel to a statue of Julius Caesar and looking at him, that I can't learn tenfold from just reading a book, or looking online? Other than "oh that's a nice statue" I doubt it's much. 

Edit: Yeah Bacon, I ignored how patronising it was because it's Loki and I expect nothing less of him.

Edited by FelatioLips

• Paid Members
4 minutes ago, Loki said:

We don't all have private jets, so we can sit eating lobster and drinking wine and contemplating, in order to learn about history. Books are cheaper.

4 minutes ago, SuperBacon said:

Fucking hell, that's condescending.

Well his responses are fucking ignorant, if we’re going that route.  Just because your horizons are narrow, don’t mean other people have to limit themselves.

Edited by Loki

• Paid Members
1 minute ago, Loki said:

Well his responses are fucking ignorant, if we’re going that route.  Just because your horizons are narrow, don’t mean other people have to limit themselves.

Should be easy for you to answer my question then. What can I learn from visiting a statue of Julius Caesar (or anyone) that I can't learn from books, online or elsewhere for free?

1 minute ago, Loki said:

This is a bit rank if I'm honest Loki.

There are a lot of people who rely on books, online and those methods to learn.

Your responses absolutely reek of classism.

2 minutes ago, Chris B said:

We don't all have private jets, so we can sit eating lobster and drinking wine and contemplating, in order to learn about history. Books are cheaper.

There are museums up and down this country you can visit.  For the cost of a ticket to London you can visit some of the greatest collections of  artefacts in the world, thanks to the greed of the British Empire.

• Paid Members
Just now, Loki said:

There are museums up and down this country you can visit.  For the cost of a ticket to London you can visit some of the greatest collections of  artefacts in the world, thanks to the greed of the British Empire.

You're changing the goalposts there from "statue" to "museum" which wasn't the original question posed. I've been to plenty of museums and generally they're more than just statues, have guided spoken word tours and even then are less informative than looking in a book or online. 

A single fare from my nearest station to London is £115, god knows how much for a return, btw. 

I live in Aberdeen. So a return flight, accommodation, tickets, food etc are more desirable to you than just simply opening a book from my local library or searching online? Is this some “ I was there” elitism that is on show? That because I’ll possibly never go to some of these places means I’m less than you, or less qualified to comment based on my proximity to a physical representation of something? Utter garbage pal. I used to go to Transport museums in Glasgow when I was younger, but that doesn’t make me more of an expert than someone who has studied the same interest through other means. 
Seems you’re trying to talk down to us for you’re own betterment, which is just sad. 

• Paid Members
6 minutes ago, Loki said:

How will this help me learn about Caesar and Napoleon, though? Apparently, the best way is to be in Rome or Paris, gazing up at a statue while being fed foie gras by my servant Anton.

• Paid Members
On 6/12/2020 at 9:27 AM, BomberPat said:

It should also be pointed out that, as far as I can tell, there were no calls within the BLM movement for Netflix to do anything. They took action themselves, and it's been conflated to "PC snowflakes demand classic telly be banned" through no fault of their own. Profoundly depressing stuff.

Isn't that what usually happens? Like Subway make the financial decision to start using Turkey Bacon in some locations, in order to appeal to more customers, and it gets turned into "Muslims force Subway to ban Bacon!!!!!!"

The most depressing thing about this - aside from the people who've been murdered obviously - is that it's really exposed how thick some people are, including a few of my closest friends. I've lost count about the amount of times I've seen "WHAT ABOUT WHITE CHICKS EH? SHOULD WE BAN THAT?!!!!!" over the last few days,  as if it's an untouchable cinematic classic that the world couldn't possibly live without.

Even this morning, one my best mates was using the fact that there's been some online threats towards a statue of John Knox as "clear evidence" that BLM is a globalist conspiracy theory to get rid of Trump and "put the brakes on" Brexit. As if we hadn't already left the EU and as if Trump hasn't played a massive part in the protests blowing up as much as they have. He, and a few others, also seem to have this notion that the reason that there's loads of footage of Police brutality towards protesters, and very little in return, is because "it fits the narrative". It's basically arguing that the lack of evidence to support their viewpoint is evidence in itself. Which is fucking stupid obviously.

You’ve all decided to make this about class, and about yourselves.  I personally think that an interest in history and art isn’t limited to one class, and it’s patronising to pretend it is.   I suspect the vast majority of people who visit museums and galleries aren’t upper class twits but just regular people who want to experience things in person.

To drag this away from personal attacks and back to the topic, my original point was that tearing down statues does little to help social inequity but does destroy things that might have cultural value beyond just celebrating a figure’s life.

Just now, Loki said:

You’ve all decided to make this about class, and about yourselves.  I personally think that an interest in history and art isn’t limited to one class, and it’s patronising to pretend it is.   I suspect the vast majority of people who visit museums and galleries aren’t upper class twits but just regular people who want to experience things in person.

To drag this away from personal attacks and back to the topic, my original point was that tearing down statues does little to help social inequity but does destroy things that might have cultural value beyond just celebrating a figure’s life.

Loki, I don't think anyone has "personally attacked" you, don't be all Mountevans about it.

Your responses were classist, condescening and very, very patronising.  And you're still doing it, now reflecting it back, as in the bolded bit above. Don't get all defensive because you've been called out on it.