Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Fatty Facesitter said:

Finally got struck down with it last week - first three/four days were spent riding a feverish wave of being freezing cold in multiple layers to burning hot at a moment's notice. That's gone now, the only thing remaining is a pretty unhealthy cough with lots of stuff coming out, which has knackered my throat and done more to wear me out than anything else. Still testing positive but a combination of Ibuprofen and Strepsils got me back on an even keel, so hopefully I'll be right as rain again in a couple of days. 

For anyone that's already had it and had the coughing symptoms, what have you taken for that? Anything you'd recommend? 

My parents had it last year (thankfully they were vaccinated), and they've been swearing blind to anyone who'll listen (and those who won't) that steaming with clove oil worked wonders for their lungs - it's numbing, and astringent.

4 minutes ago, Your Fight Site said:

Brilliant. Just tested positive for COVID two weeks after starting on a second lot of immunosuppressant medication.

Well, I had a good run of two years…

Ah, man - sorry to hear that. What's the material impact? I hope the implications aren't too serious.

• Paid Members
9 minutes ago, Carbomb said:

Ah, man - sorry to hear that. What's the material impact? I hope the implications aren't too serious.

Don’t know to be honest. I’d been on immunosuppressant medication since June last year for arthritis. It wasn’t doing anything so the hospital put me on a second lot in addition and started the first course of that two weeks ago. Just did a COVID test today and the red line showed up instantly, as soon as the liquid touched the paper.

So far it just feels like I have a cold (runny nose, slightly sore throat) but, think I’m just over-thinking the “What ifs” right now.

• Paid Members

I avoid Covid for 2 years when there’s fuck all going on, but the week of a mate’s wedding I was really looking forward to today?

Depressingly predictable….

Mainly cold symptoms for me but I had to take a day off on Monday due to a pounding headache to the extent I couldn’t keep my eyes open for more than a few seconds. Bastard.

Like @Fatty Facesitter the coughing has wrecked my throat.

Edited by garynysmon

• Paid Members

My whole house had it for the best part of a week. I was still testing negative. I woke up last night feeling like i did after my vaccine...Sure enough two lines. Was due to be best man at my bro laws wedding to.

I know i can do what ever i want but to go to a wedding full of grandparents would be disgusting. Im utterly gutted. I dont even know where to start. Had a little cry.

Edited by quote the raven

• Paid Members
4 hours ago, quote the raven said:

My whole house had it for the best part of a week. I was still testing negative. I work up last night feeling like i did after my vaccine...Sure enough two lines. Was due to be best man at my bro laws wedding to.

I know i can do what ever i want but to go to a wedding full of grandparents would be disgusting. Im utterly gutted. I dont even know where to start. Had a little cry.

No, its shite mate and I don't blame you. I missed a close friend's wedding yesterday.

I'm finding self isolating to be a million times tougher than being in a general lockdown, when at least you know that everyone else is stuck indoors too. 

I really suffer from 'FOMO' at the best of times so it's harder to stomach when all I've seen on TV all weekend is packed football stadiums, wrestling, concerts and events going ahead as normal.

Its a weird feeling knowing that what basically are cold symptoms wouldn't stop you going usually, but yet know in your heart of hearts that you shouldn't.

Edited by garynysmon

4 hours ago, quote the raven said:

My whole house had it for the best part of a week. I was still testing negative. I work up last night feeling like i did after my vaccine...Sure enough two lines. Was due to be best man at my bro laws wedding to.

I’m so sorry to hear that. There’s no two ways about it, that’s really, really crap. I don’t think there’s anything that any of us can say that’ll even come close to making you feel better, but the fact you’re being so selfless when many would not be really shows why you are best man. Clearly you’re a brilliant person.

All of this really should open up a conversation about how fucked sick leave is in most places. I know companies are terrified of people "taking the piss" but you'd think they'd be equally worried about half their workforce not being at 100%. 

It's like how my old boss went from "I think this means we'll need to look at the layout of public buildings and how they operate" to trying to get rid of restrictions as quickly as possible. 

If another pandemic started tomorrow we'd be worse at handling it than we've handled Covid. That's just crazy to me. 

13 minutes ago, Vamp said:

All of this really should open up a conversation about how fucked sick leave is in most places. 

For me it’s one of, if not the main reasons why we fucked up the whole thing. Especially SSP. Imagine you’re a minimum wage worker testing positive with no symptoms and you can’t work for over a week. You aren’t going to afford rent or food so what the fuck are you going to do? Keep schtum about being positive and keep struggling, or starve and risk eviction. 

• Paid Members
3 hours ago, Vamp said:

I know companies are terrified of people "taking the piss" but you'd think they'd be equally worried about half their workforce not being at 100%

In my experience companies don't care as long as the work gets done. 

It's counter intuitive, I do more working 2 days at 100% than 5 days at 50% and make less errors, but that's not what they generally want or care about.

But then I've worked for some right nobs.

6 hours ago, Tommy! said:

In my experience companies don't care as long as the work gets done. 

It's counter intuitive, I do more working 2 days at 100% than 5 days at 50% and make less errors, but that's not what they generally want or care about.

But then I've worked for some right nobs.

It always seems like employers have no trust of employees as if everyone must be out to do as little as possible and not go to work whenever they can which is actually the opposite for a lot of jobs of the environment isa positive and pleasant place to be. 

My university set 2 or 3 deadlines for staff to be back working full-time in the office and eventually decided remote working can be done whenever customer/student facing tasks are not required. For my department it seemed logical as everything measured through deadlines and productivity. Don't do it, people will know quick and you'll be in the shit. Doing your 8 hours is irrelevant. It's actually made many a lot happier and productive. Oh and less sick. 

• Paid Members
19 hours ago, Vamp said:

It's like how my old boss went from "I think this means we'll need to look at the layout of public buildings and how they operate" to trying to get rid of restrictions as quickly as possible.  

This is the most maddening thing to me. We spent the start of the pandemic talking about the need to fundamentally alter how we do business, how the days of 9-to-5 and being chained to a desk were behind us, and all the opportunities this would present, and then as soon as restrictions were being lifted we were dragged back into the office, and it's only because I have a good line manager that I'm permitted to work from home one day a week, even though there's no part of my job that can't be done remotely, and even though I spent the first six months doing the job from home. 

The rush to "back to normal" is just devastating. A crisis like Covid should be the time for transformative politics and action, and we've done fuck all. No effort has been made to learn from the experience of the pandemic, to better prepare us for the next one, or just to improve quality of life in general. We're just throwing vulnerable people under the bus and forgetting everything we should have learned - and after the pandemic has created more vulnerable people, either physically or financially. It's fucked.

Personally, I'm more than a month into recovering from Covid and I can't go on a half hour walk without needing a nap afterwards. I get out of breath walking up the stairs to my flat. Being able to work from home when I need to is a godsend right now, but as I'm having to start job hunting, it feels like I'm being difficult if I ask about that.

Thing is, I think we will end up changing our ways of working, but gradually, and for economic rather than public health reasons. Companies will start to see the rent come up on their offices, and someone will look at the books and question whether they actually need to pay for that much office space when they could either go to fully remote working, or rent a smaller space and introduce a hybrid model. I said at the start of the pandemic that if I'd had money to invest in a business idea, it would have been in hireable office spaces and meeting rooms, because that's the model that will take over. Of course, the other side of that coin is how much influence the landlords who own those offices will exert pressure on the government to avoid that change.

5 minutes ago, BomberPat said:

This is the most maddening thing to me. We spent the start of the pandemic talking about the need to fundamentally alter how we do business, how the days of 9-to-5 and being chained to a desk were behind us, and all the opportunities this would present, and then as soon as restrictions were being lifted we were dragged back into the office, and it's only because I have a good line manager that I'm permitted to work from home one day a week, even though there's no part of my job that can't be done remotely, and even though I spent the first six months doing the job from home. 

The rush to "back to normal" is just devastating. A crisis like Covid should be the time for transformative politics and action, and we've done fuck all. No effort has been made to learn from the experience of the pandemic, to better prepare us for the next one, or just to improve quality of life in general. We're just throwing vulnerable people under the bus and forgetting everything we should have learned - and after the pandemic has created more vulnerable people, either physically or financially. It's fucked.

Personally, I'm more than a month into recovering from Covid and I can't go on a half hour walk without needing a nap afterwards. I get out of breath walking up the stairs to my flat. Being able to work from home when I need to is a godsend right now, but as I'm having to start job hunting, it feels like I'm being difficult if I ask about that.

Thing is, I think we will end up changing our ways of working, but gradually, and for economic rather than public health reasons. Companies will start to see the rent come up on their offices, and someone will look at the books and question whether they actually need to pay for that much office space when they could either go to fully remote working, or rent a smaller space and introduce a hybrid model. I said at the start of the pandemic that if I'd had money to invest in a business idea, it would have been in hireable office spaces and meeting rooms, because that's the model that will take over. Of course, the other side of that coin is how much influence the landlords who own those offices will exert pressure on the government to avoid that change.

I've generally worked from home or in the community for about 4 years now, couldn't imagine going back into an office full time. I think it would mentally completely break me, being stuck somewhere I could do from home just as well without the expenses and added stress. 

Office days have tended to be the most unproductive and useless days as a rule and a complete waste of time and effort. 

Hopefully your job search will go well. 

Just on the recovery from it as well, the app still says I have to isolate for 10 days in total but I'm on Day 5 now and feeling much better so not sure what I'm meant to do really.