Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I caught Covid at the very start of the pandemic, and although it was mild at the time, it utterly killed my fitness. It's not through a lack of trying either - long Covid has seriously zapped me in that respect. 

Has anyone else been in this situation and found a method of exercise that actually works, in terms of creating a feeling of progression? I've tried high intensity training, swimming, general gym work-outs, jogging - pretty much everything I can think of. I'm just not progressing, I hit an insurmountable wall really quickly. 

It's incredibly frustrating, but I can't imagine that there isn't a way past this. 

4 hours ago, RedRooster said:

I caught Covid at the very start of the pandemic, and although it was mild at the time, it utterly killed my fitness. It's not through a lack of trying either - long Covid has seriously zapped me in that respect. 

Has anyone else been in this situation and found a method of exercise that actually works, in terms of creating a feeling of progression? I've tried high intensity training, swimming, general gym work-outs, jogging - pretty much everything I can think of. I'm just not progressing, I hit an insurmountable wall really quickly. 

It's incredibly frustrating, but I can't imagine that there isn't a way past this. 

What are your fitness goals ? Best to ask first. 

Have you put on weight you want to lose for example?

1 hour ago, Cousin Jim Bob said:

What are your fitness goals ? Best to ask first. 

Have you put on weight you want to lose for example?

Yes to the second one, but it's not so much that (or not just that) - it's the fact that I feel absolutely no progression whenever I try to get things back to where they are. It just feels impossible, in a way that it didn't before I had Covid. 

13 minutes ago, RedRooster said:

Yes to the second one, but it's not so much that (or not just that) - it's the fact that I feel absolutely no progression whenever I try to get things back to where they are. It just feels impossible, in a way that it didn't before I had Covid. 

I had long covid and put on weight as a result. A good few stone. What worked for me losing it was walking. I bought a cheap £25 fitness watch of Amazon that counts my daily steps. I do 6000 steps a day everyday. It doesn't take too long and is low impact. I knock most out on my lunch break. It isn't taxing on your joints or lungs like jogging or a gym program and is free. I have a bunch of local walks I like doing and its nice seeing some parks and nature. A few of my friends who had covid have done weight lifting programs using guides of Youtube. Again nothing too time consuming or expensive, just 15 minutes a day with cheap home weights but have had huge changes to their fitness as a result.

I think though if you really want a ton of tracking and progression details something like Myfitnesspal app would be good. You put in your calories taken in and burned everyday and it becomes a part of your routine. It will show you all the improvements in your health over time. So you can see things like weight loss in graphs that show its going down however slowly. Just standing on the scales everyday can be frustrating as they might not be moving as you get healthier. Alot of people recommend using a tape measure to measure not just your waist but thighs, chest, neck etc. The scales might not be moving fast but if you have lost an inch or two of your waist your going in the right direction.

• Paid Members

Really sorry to hear that, scratch - can't imagine what that must be like for her, or you. I hope she recovers soon and is reunited with the you and the cat in short order.