Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

After months of trying, I'm finally maybe getting somewhere closer to a Long Covid diagnosis, or at least identifying whatever's wrong with me if it's not that. Likewise, it's been a very pandemic-y story.

I booked an appointment back in January, which ended up getting cancelled a couple of hours beforehand because I'd booked it through the app and it had allocated me to the "wrong doctor". It had to be rescheduled to early February, and then the evening before that appointment, they phoned to say that the doctor I was booked in to see had caught Covid, so I either had to have a phone consultation or reschedule for the next available face-to-face slot on the 9th of March, more than a month later. 

I ended up having the phone appointment where, unsurprisingly, the doctor said that there wasn't a lot they could do over the phone and they'd have to see me in person, so I'm booked in for next month anyway, but in the meantime I got just about every kind of blood test imaginable, and I'm waiting on the results of those this week. 

It's certainly dropped out of the news cycle, but I wonder how bad the Covid impact was this winter?  Presumably the free vaccine for over 60s or whatever helped a lot.

I had my lung review today and mentioned how my breathing and asthma was so much worse….”Since you’ve had Covid?”the nurse said, finishing my sentence for me!  They said how practically everyone has said the same thing, but most people have seen improvements over time. So there’s a comfort for me in that at least. 

• Paid Members

It's not just a lack of reporting, it is an active opposition to testing. One of the care home groups that our company works for still tests the clients but doesn't test the employees. They also tell the employees not to test themselves and that they will not pay sick pay for Covid. That will certainly reduce cases. 

Tested positive an hour ago - first time I've had it. Just come back from a stag do so I could have given it a fair few people. Thought I was just run down after 4 nights drinking, but sadly not.

Work have said I have to register the test online, but it was a paid for LFT from Tesco so computer said no.

Any ideas where I can register it? Or do I need to send off for a proper test?

Edited by Max Power

• Paid Members

There was a story in Jersey's newspaper yesterday about a court case, where parents of a severely disabled adult with a chronic neurological condition didn't want their son vaccinated for flu or Covid, and the courts overruled them on the grounds that he was unable to access much of the treatment he needed as vaccination was a requirement for those services.

Turns out the reason that the parents were so against it is that, as a toddler, their son was part of Andrew Wakefield's MMR study. The dad apparently said in court that Wakefield - whose work has been massively discredited for years and who was struck off the medical register - "might have been wrong about some cases, but he wasn't wrong about our son". 

I don't know how I feel about it all. As much as I think anyone who's able to get vaccinated should do, I also don't think that they should be mandatory on basic freedom of choice grounds, but when you have a situation like this where it's clearly in the best interests of the person to get the vaccine - and could be literally life or death, or at the very least there's a serious impact on quality of life - yet that person isn't able to consent to it themselves? The parents are wrong - infuriatingly so - and the outcome feels correct, it's just an uncomfortable and ugly situation for this sort of thing to be decided in courtrooms in the first place.

• 3 months later...
  • Paid Members
1 hour ago, Version1.0 said:

Has anyone else had Covid 4 times?

So fatigued that I feel as if I'm never going outside again. Have taken over a week off work.

I'm on 5 times. Not had a bout since September though. 

Very much had a range of symptoms each time. The first time put me in hospital and close to death (my wife was told to expect it), while the last had a swollen eye, fatigue and the sore throat.

• Paid Members
1 hour ago, Version1.0 said:

Has anyone else had Covid 4 times?

So fatigued that I feel as if I'm never going outside again. Have taken over a week off work.

Mrs JB had it 4 times in 6 months, with the final bout completely wiping her out despite it being "mild" every time.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Paid Members

Will they see wteher they can borrow victims from the surrounding villages and towns? 

• 3 months later...

Not got covid but I am incredibly unwell with aches, pains and have one of the worst headaches I've ever had.

Found a supermarket own brand Lemsip in the cupboard that expired last October. Will I die if I take it or shall I wait it out until someone can get me some new ones later?

It is pounding and I want to watch the football at lunchtime without feeling like I want to throw up.