Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

That's absolutely awful, I'm so sorry that you're having to deal with this, and I hope she's being cared for; and that you are doing OK, given the circumstances. 

It's hard to think of anything to say that doesn't feel empty in circumstances like this, but genuinely, my thoughts are with you. 

That’s awful, Scratch, Certainly puts things into perspective and I hope she is home soon. 

My girlfriend tested positive yesterday and I tested positive today. She is really struggling due to her autism, she is having sensory overloads because everything has changed. She’s also worried about me due to my lung problems. For me, the headache and the shivers has been the worst thing thus far, been having honey to help with the throat and coughing because it fucking hurts. Throwing up loads too

Another issue is we had no paracetamol so I asked in the street WhatsApp group if anyone had some. We’ve kindly had loads put through the letterbox but that’s triggered my girlfriend because I OD’d on them and ibuprofen when I tried to top myself so that brought back memories. Plus I don’t think I’ve taken my meds for a few days so the mood is all over the place. 

On the plus side, I can wear pyjamas and cardigans all day and that’s ace!

14 minutes ago, Keith Houchen said:

For me, the headache and the shivers has been the worst thing thus far

This was the worst bit for me. The coldness went after two days or so, but fucking hell it was rough those two days. My brain felt like it was rattling in my skull as well. Rank.

Hope you both get better soon! 

That's horrible for you @scratchdj, hopefully small signs of recovery are a positive for you both.

I'm really grateful to be a reasonably healthy person getting this and having had three vaccines to this point. It's still the worst I've ever had for a cold or flu, the headaches and random dry coughing are like nothing else I've experienced. That said, in the grand scheme I'm doing ok and will probably be fine to work from home on a day or two. 

My isolation is up Wednesday but I'm going to avoid indoor spaces for an additional five days if I can. My mum too as she's 77 and has coped with chronic heart failure, pneumonia and pleurisy over the last few years. Quite worried by the seemingly increasing numbers of elderly now becoming more unwell with it again.

• 2 weeks later...

Asking for a technophobic family member. What's the craic regarding reporting positive tests if you're using a non-NHS test kit? The NHS website says "you cannot use a paid-for COVID-19 test to report your result – only use a free NHS test" - but are they even giving out free tests anymore? Do they just not care?

24 minutes ago, hallicks said:

Do they just not care?

The NHS do, the ones who are in charge of financing the NHS don’t. They say the pandemic is over. 

I got the all clear a few days ago but with the exception of the fever, I still feel like I’ve got it. 

• Paid Members

Had a bad cold for just over a week, I'd say the worst one I've had in 10/15 years, but didn't think any more of it. Wednesday evening came and my nose was that blocked, I dug out an old bottle of Olbas Oil from the back of the cupboard and went at it like Madonna on poppers, but couldn't smell a thing. I just put it down to it being an old bottle until my nostrils felt like I'd shoved an ice cube up each one. 

Suspicious of my lack of smell, I then sprayed deodorant into the air and again, couldn't smell a thing. 10 minutes later and half of the spice rack open on the kitchen side, I went and got a COVID test and low and behold, tested positive. 

As soon as I found out it was COVID, I'm not sure if it was psychological or what, but I instantly felt worse than I did the hour prior. 

Been fine ever since, other than the cough that comes along with it, but it got me out of a 4 year olds birthday party at a softplay this morning, so silver linings and all that.

• Paid Members

We both caught it 3 weeks or so ago and are still feeling negative effects from it. At it’s peak we both had the worst flu we’ve ever had but even now our breathing is bad and we’re getting fatigued doing basic stuff even after testing negative for over a week. Still got coughs and stuffed up. It’s brutal. 

The work response is about what you would expect too now Covid hasn’t been taken seriously for a while. It went from a clear understanding that you have covid and must isolate to me getting asked 2 days after my positive result if i’m feeling well enough to come back in. Sent them a screenshot of the Gov/NHS isolation rules and told them where to go.

• Paid Members
18 hours ago, Nick James said:

Wednesday evening came and my nose was that blocked, I dug out an old bottle of Olbas Oil

I wondered how that got up your nose for a second, then I read more and it all made sense. 

Glad you’re feeling better.