Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Awards Moderator
2 hours ago, johnnyboy said:

Do you know if that has been specifically turned off as being able to join Teams meetings as a guest without an MS account is standard.  Click the link, type in Fred Bloggs (or any other name you'd like to appear under your face) and wait to be admitted.

Both my wife and I tried it on several devices, we installed recommended browsers, we clicked every right link, still neither of us could get past ‘Sign in to your Microsoft Account’.

• Paid Members

I work in a college, and we use Teams "exclusively" because it's government policy. We'd been using it as a replacement to our old network drive (which it's absolutely useless for, and entirely not what it's designed for) and for chat for about a year before Covid anyway, but no one really knew how to use it properly until lockdown. Some people are still really reluctant to use it, even though it's policy.

One lecturer gets away with using Zoom for everything, partly because the partner university she works with insists on it, but mostly because she's in a very politically strong position that means if she wants something she tends to get it.

Frustratingly, I had a meeting in Teams last week where the audio quality was completely unlistenable, spent ages messing with mics and the position of it in relation to the speaker, audio settings and so on, gave up, launched Zoom and everything was crystal clear.

We've had our latest local scandal here - since around Halloween, cases had started to spike, and the government had explicitly started blaming "teenagers having house parties" and generally not following the rules, as most of the cases were being found in schools. I've been pointing out for weeks that it can't just be kids not following the rules, because every single case has been in posh public and fee-paying schools, and none in any of the state schools.

Cases had started to tail off - dropping from 180 to 140 in a couple of days - only to then jump back up above 200 overnight. More than 30 cases had all been traced back to what was described as "a private function at a hospitality venue" - turned out that it was a private party at a posh hotel, where the woman who organised it went ahead with the party despite knowing that her husband had tested positive. Their kid was one of the kids at a posh prep school that tested positive. So not only has it all been horrifically selfish, and risking lockdown over Christmas because a few posh twats care more about still having cocktails and a spa day than about public safety or their own family's health, but at least some of them have known exactly what they were doing, knew they were responsible for a spread of cases among their social group, yet still sat back quietly while the government and the public at large blamed their children. Cunts.

The hotel in question issued a statement to one of the newspapers, saying that they were "confident that they have always followed all Covid guidelines". Even though less than a week earlier they had been fined for a separate infraction of the guidelines. How fucking stupid do they think we are?

Oh, and one of the main shareholders in the hotel is one of our most senior politicians, because of course it is.

• Paid Members

Urgh. What is it about the human race that, as a collective, it just wants to kill itself? Not pratting about whilst carrying an infectious virus that currently has no vaccine or inoculation isn’t rocket science.

I live in an apartment block that had a positive case earlier in the year. Notes were put up in the communal areas, and then a company came out and deep-cleaned all the communal areas, floors, and car park. My direct neighbour has had at least two parties, despite living on her own. The kicker? She works in a hospital for the NHS. If anyone should know not to have lockdown get-togethers whilst there’s a virus about, especially after we’ve had a case in direct proximity…

1 hour ago, PowerButchi said:

Taking the home test is fucking horrible. 

Hoping it's a negative, butch

it is shite and the waiting for a result was arse as well. 

Zooms, Google Workspace, Teams and Cisco Webex, attend anywhere seem to be preferred at various junctures. 

Zoom and Googlemeet are the most stable. The rest are holy unreliable. 

• Paid Members
27 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

Can a 90 year old survive this? 

Yes. 

The numbers are scary, but it's not a certain case. She's in a much higher risk category, but that doesn't mean it's certain she'll die or even get it badly. I believe the odds are in her favour, but not anywhere near as much as they would with anyone under 60. It's even possible she'll have no symptoms.

At 90, though, you're at higher risk of everything. A flu or even bad cold could develop into far worse things than they would for most people.

Be worried, yes. But don't assume she can't survive this. At the same time, she's 90 - if you have stuff you've always wanted to say or talk to her about, don't wait. I'm getting used to this with my own grandmother who's the same age - we're treating each time we see or talk to her as if it could be the last.

If it sets your heart at ease at all, my wife's grandfather caught it two weeks ago and we were terrified - he's had lung problems for years and has breathing problems at the best of times after decades of chain smoking. Covid tired him out for four days or so, but he's made a full recovery. Obviously every case is different, but just because she has it isn't a death sentence by any means.

1 hour ago, WyattSheepMask said:

Seconded. Had to do one the other week after someone at work had tested positive.

Did anyone have any gagging issues? My right tonsil really made me gag but it was ok on the left side. Odd. I found the nose swab very uncomfortable. 
I did mine as part of Ipso Mori research and the results didn’t take too long. Negative thankfully. 

• Paid Members

Nose swab wasn't enjoyable, but I could handle it.

Tickling the back of my throat for fifteen fucking seconds was horrendous. I retched so many times I genuinely thought I was going to end up vomiting everywhere.

(This was my first test back in April. My more recent test was only five seconds in the throat. Still retchy).