Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

2 hours ago, Shy Dad said:

Question because I'm unsure. When the initial those who have underlying health conditions are at higher risk information came out in March, Autisic Spectrum was included in that list. Does this mean with my Aspergers I'm more likely to be vaccinated in the 6th wave wit other 16-64 or will I still be classified in the age bracket I'm in? 

I've got another job interview tomorrow at a school, so it's mass preparation for travel and making sure I don't come into contact with too many people, which itself may be difficult as if I remember correctly Cheltenhams train station is narrow and tiny. But a little stability work wise for January onwards would do wonders for my anxiety levels for sure. 

Good luck with the interview. 

Cheltenham station isnt narrow per se but the roof makes it seem smaller and more, cramped than it is. Amazing what being lit correctly does mind. 

• Paid Members

Have had to cancel my interview. I've been laid up since Sunday night with just zero energy, migraines, dizzyness and just in pain whenever I move. Stupidly went to work Monday morning and did 5 hours of lifting stock as well which hasn't helped how bad I feel. 

Teaching is now on hold again for another 4 months as I can't risk losing this job by trying to get days doing substitute work, schools won't be employing now until April term either. 

I'm just gonna watch cartoons all day once I sleep off this sadness. Everything in my watch list is depressing as fuck so I won't be going near that today. 

• Paid Members

At worst its just a flu bug, it'll be fine. I'm not about to stress myself further thinking it's something worse, I know lugging stock around for 7 hours a day isn't helping my aching or exhaustion and one of the other guys has been off with simple flu so I expect I've caught the headaches and nausea from him. 

16 hours ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

That isn't true though is it. The bubbles are mixing right now in my neighbours house. Lots of people have more than one kid at the same school in different classes. They are not going to remain in their bubbles at home, it is not possible.

Lots of people also have kids in different schools (one in primary, one in secondary), so if one sibling tests positive do they shut both entire schools?

If reopening schools is to be feasible at all (and some would still argue it isn't), then you have to draw a line somewhere between levels of risk that warrant sending every single child back home. Making the households and classmates of infected kids isolate is one level; extending that to the classmates and presumably co-workers of those other household members (who only might be infected) is a level further, at which point why stop there? If those co-workers are at risk then so are their families and all their co-workers and classmates, so that's half the town shut down.

I don't know the right answer exactly, I just think it's more complicated than comments so far reflect.

• Paid Members
On 11/10/2020 at 2:43 PM, Keith Houchen said:

Channelling my inner @JLM for this old skool banger

7FC38B20-CF92-412C-99C1-DA0278509179

JUST TAKE THE FUCKING VACCINE

😃Damn it, it just occurred to me today to sign in here out of the blue and post "JUST TAKE THE FUCKING VACCINE YOU PEASANTS" and then saw I had a notification that you'd already done it. Well played, sir.

2 minutes ago, JLM said:

😃Damn it, it just occurred to me today to sign in here out of the blue and post "JUST TAKE THE FUCKING VACCINE YOU PEASANTS" and then saw I had a notification that you'd already done it. Well played, sir.

BASTARD! That would’ve made the whole pandemic, lockdown and everything all worthwhile. And I went and ruined it!

16 minutes ago, Ralphy said:

My nan has passed away, covid has taken her, devestated

I'm very upset, not really hit me yet

Trying to not be too upset visibly for my mums benefit

Never dealt with such a close loss before, any tips greatly appreciated 

She was 90. I have To go to her house soon so I will once again turn back the clock and enjoy her biscuits she would laugh and smile knowing I am, if it was up to her I'd be morbidly obese! 

She was one of those nan's who fed you at least every hour,,! 

I feel a bit better having typed that last bit

Sorry to hear mate. Thoughts with you

So sorry to hear that Ralphy,  alas there's little advice on grief - it comes in all sorts of different forms for so many different people. I've had a few close losses and still struggle to find the right words when other friends go through similar. I guess best advice from that is don't worry about whether you're feeling the right thing at the right time. There'll be low moments and more centred "circle of life" moments, they might not always be at the times when you expect - when my Dad died I cried mostly during a random angry argument with my brother a few days later and was fairly chipper at the funeral.  It's gonna suck and feel rubbish at times but that's probably fine? You just gotta take each bit as it comes and not worry too much about what you'll feel next / what you have to deal with next.

Only other thing can suggest is just try and be very receptive/conscious of your mum's needs. It can be hard for parents to allow themselves to have their children "parent" them, they're used to being the ones that try and sort your issues. I don't mean you have to bottle it up to ensure she's not worrying about you but yeah more just be conscious she might be trying to do that back at you..