Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

I'm getting very concerned about Christmas, and what it might do to the population. I know a lot of people who have been sensible throughout this pandemic who are very much throwing caution to the wind for the sake of one day. 

A lot of my elderly relatives are too, and that's scary. It's crap to think of spending Christmas alone, or away from family. But it's one day...and the end of this pandemic is within touching distance. 

"But what would Christmas be without Granny?" 

Give it a year. Devastatingly, I fear a lot of us are going to find out. 

• Paid Members

I have another test tomorrow - more nervous about this one than any I have had before, because the numbers are just rising exponentially here. We're at 331 cases now.

Press conference yesterday said that if nothing was done and the rate of infections continued at the same pace, we'd be over 1000 by Boxing Day, with 1 in 10 people isolating.

They've announced a "hospitality circuit breaker", which basically means all licensed premises will be closed for at least a month. Obviously that's gone down like a lead balloon, and was probably too little too late, but it means no Christmas parties or New Year's events, and it's that sort of function where most clusters of cases are coming from. We're also back to two metre social distancing, strongly encouraged working from home (I expect tomorrow will be my last day in the office for the foreseeable, and I'm only going in because I have my Covid test at work), and any time spent in the office will have to be kept two metres apart, and with masks or visors at all times. Probably more restrictions incoming.

The positives are that there's currently no restriction on inbound travel, so I'm still expecting to be able to see my girlfriend over Christmas. Though there's always the possibility that, because most of the hotels are having to close, flights might end up cancelled as a knock-on effect of that - though I would assume the majority of people flying now will be staying with family or friends, so fingers crossed. It's the first time in this whole pandemic that it's felt like Jersey's government have just completely lost control of the situation, and everyone's just angry with no real idea of where to direct it - at the government for failing to act, or at the selfish pricks who have ruined it for everyone else. There's a real sense of "I followed all the rules and I still get fucked over".

4 hours ago, stumobir said:

I tested positive yesterday. Woke up with a headache but didn’t think much of it, it wasn’t until a few hours later when a fever hit and I started to feel really, really knackered that I thought I should get tested. Managed to get one within an hour and the results came about 7 hours later, not bad considering this area is pretty bad atm. Think I’ve been lucky so far as the symptoms just feel like a mild flu, lemsips seem to be doing the job and thankfully I still have taste and smell so I’m gonna use my 10 days off work to finally crack bread making.

I did lose my sense of smell when I had it (but not my sense of taste) and while I hope you manage to avoid it, I found this really helpful: https://abscent.org/

It felt like things were never going to go back to normal as far as my smell goes, and my GP recommended this site. I was cynical and the timing may very well be coincidental, but I feel like me regaining my sense of smell blatantly coincides with me doing scent training. 

It's not completely the same as it was pre-COVID, and certain things smell and taste exactly the same (certain brands of chocolate, chicken skin, baked beans and spring onions taste identical to me now) but this kit definitely made a difference. 

If anyone else ends up in the same situation as me, it's definitely worth a try. 

EDIT: Really sorry about your loss, Butch. 

Edited by RedRooster

• Paid Members
On 12/3/2020 at 2:53 PM, PowerButchi said:

My mate Kev has passed away of it. Only 62. Poor fucker. 

Sorry to hear that, regardless of the current situation losing a friend at any time is horrible. Condolences to you, hope you're ok.