Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

The new Covid tier map looks like this;

Env7SKGXEAItZpA?format=jpg&name=4096x409 

Meanwhile, in Jersey, the country is broken up into regions for inbound travel purposes, with a traffic light system designating how long anyone arriving has to self-isolate for. Our version looks like this;

AUUGMDDCWBHZZG7Y6WXMTAD7YA.jpg

• Paid Members

Funny how the R rate in London is higher than it is in Manchester, but they're only in tier 2 while Manchester is in tier 3...

• Paid Members

Something that I found quite frustrating with Jersey's system is that if you look at London, it's broken down into every individual borough or local authority - at one point Bethnal Green was green while Hackney was amber, so you could inadvertently cross from one tier to another just by crossing the road. Meanwhile, you get "East Yorkshire & The Humber" as one massive area - so if there were a spike in Hull, that would mean the village my parents live in 20 miles away, that's only had a handful of cases, would be seen as a red area that you shouldn't be travelling to. 

• Paid Members

So Lincolnshire went in to Lockdown 2: Lockdown Harder in Tier 1 and came out in Tier 3. 2 of the councils are now in the top 10 highest infection rates in the country. So that has obviously worked well. 

The problems will be that the anti lockdowners will point to it as a reason to ignore all the restrictions and we will be even more fucked than we were before. 

So on the whole that Lockdown hasn't gone well. 

• Paid Members
17 minutes ago, Lion_of_the_Midlands said:

So on the whole that Lockdown hasn't gone well. 

I long for the days when we'd see this sentence more frequently in TNA threads.

• Paid Members

We can't afford to relax as we don't really want a third lockdown, but between December 23rd & 27th we'll relax everything. 

Yeah, makes perfect sense... 

• Paid Members

Cases in Jersey were on the decline, dropped below 140. 

30+ cases were identified yesterday all from one event. Apparently is was a "private function at a hospitality venue", with gossip being that it was a party at a hotel where no social distancing measures were followed.

It's a complete guess, but they were filming Real Housewives of Jersey up until recently- I wonder if they're still filming behind closed doors, and that's why a "private function" has been allowed to take place against all rules and guidance. 

The work saga continues.

A union survey revealed that half of council employees don't feel safe at work. A third worry that if they raise concerns that'll count as a mark against then (to be fair, when I raised concerns it was apparently due to "mental health issues").

Naturally, the head of libraries felt that this would be a good day to tell people that they will break bubbles and send staff across multiple sites if they feel they need to. This is because our sites are "very Covid secure" and bubbles are only an "extra step" to reassure people.

1) Not entirely sure that multiple sites closing due to Covid counts as "very" secure. If my house was broken into multiple times in 1 week I'm not sure I'd brag about how secure it was...

2) The sites closed because people outside of those teams went to those workplaces. It was "essential" we stayed open and yet the new plan could result in even more sites closing.

3) You might not want to revoke a "reassuring" extra step on the day that a survey reveals half your staff don't feel safe. 

4) Don't also email on the same day to point out that due to Covid guidance you're spending less time at work. Someone might ask why some "extra steps" can be followed and some can't. 

5) Are we going to be telling the vulnerable support groups we're inviting to these sites that we're removing safety precautions?

6) There's no point me saying any of this because it'll just be put down as a "mental health" problem. Which, of course, results in mental health problems.

• Paid Members

Out of curiosity does anyone know why Zoom immediately cornered a market that Skype seemed already geared to? Middle management at my place were always having Skype conferences pre-lockdown but suddenly Zoom became the new thing.

On 8/19/2020 at 12:49 PM, SuperBacon said:

Someone I used to see back in my single days got back in touch just before all this kicked off and asked if I wanted to go for a drink.

I said yes obviously, but recently it's come to light that she is a massive anti-vaxxer and has some questionable views about the seriousness of Covid 19 and the 'plan for the government to indoctrinate and control us' through mass vaccination.

Really surprising as she has always seemed a pretty smart and level headed person, but some of the shit she is posting and saying is appalling. 

Still going for the drink though, as to be honest, she is really fit.

Update on this: She got 'arrested' yesterday at the anti lockdown protest according to her Instagram so probably won't be going for that drink. Probably.

• Paid Members
51 minutes ago, air_raid said:

Out of curiosity does anyone know why Zoom immediately cornered a market that Skype seemed already geared to? Middle management at my place were always having Skype conferences pre-lockdown but suddenly Zoom became the new thing.

We use teams exclusively and it causes no end of issues when we do anything with anyone else for training, seminars or conferences because we aren't allowed zoom on our work network, the right to install software is owned by about 3 people overseas, and everyone else on earth seems to use zoom. As a result I need to use my personal phone or put in a request for a work laptop that's not part of our internal network, which takes a fucking age to sort. 

It's made working from home a dream though, and I'm actually more productive using that for chat and calls than email, phone or walking 15 minutes across the site to talk for 5 minutes. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Awards Moderator
1 hour ago, Tommy! said:

We use teams exclusively and it causes no end of issues when we do anything with anyone else for training, seminars or conferences because we aren't allowed zoom on our work network, the right to install software is owned by about 3 people overseas, and everyone else on earth seems to use zoom. As a result I need to use my personal phone or put in a request for a work laptop that's not part of our internal network, which takes a fucking age to sort. 

It's made working from home a dream though, and I'm actually more productive using that for chat and calls than email, phone or walking 15 minutes across the site to talk for 5 minutes. 

My work is the same when it comes to Teams, absolutely insistent that it is the only option. Which is fine when it’s all internal or to other businesses but when I have to do calls with people who don’t work for us or members of the public, it just can’t be done without jumping through a big pile of hoops. It’s easy, say IT, you can get Teams through your browser. Yes, I reply, if you have the right browser installed and have a Microsoft account to sign in from. Don’t care, reply IT, Teams or nowt. I was eventually allowed to get a (free) Zoom account on my work laptop but it took hours of convincing.

We’ve got a big recruitment season coming up after Christmas and all interviews are going to be over video call, and the head of recruitment remains convinced it will be 100% done on Teams. (It won’t)

Edited by HarmonicGenerator