Covid-19 Megathread

Loki

• Paid Members

I love drunken bakers, it's probably the best part of Viz, but I don't think I ever actually laugh at any strip. There are little moments of humour tucked into the background of most panels but ultimately it's black comedy. 

It's so spectacularly bleak yet somehow has an amazingly absorbing quality. It's a bit like looking into the sun. 

Edited by Tommy!

• Paid Members

So the news is reporting a 5 day bubble extension from the 22-28th December where additional bubbles can mix but tougher tiered restrictions after the 2nd December.

As we know COVID doesn’t take any days off, does this sound sensible? Every other religious festivities have had to be done differently, couldn’t Christmas as well? I feel it’s being done to boost the twats popularity. What say you?

The whole covid having a break for Christmas thing makes a mockery of the people who couldn't give their loved ones a before they die, of everyone who stuck to the rules all these months, of the other religions events which had to be marked in different ways, of all the jobs that have been lost because people and companies had to stick to rules. Just so Johnson can be the man who saved Christmas. People will say "oh well it's a Christian country so we Christmas should get special treatment" but for most people Christmas is presents and a piss up and little to do with religion. And as said above, if there's a relaxation over Christmas where in people's minds does that end, if it's ok over Christmas to meet x amount of people then a birthday party with y is ok.

Or am I just against it because it means I might have to see my sister in law?

1 hour ago, Harry Wiseau said:

The whole covid having a break for Christmas thing makes a mockery of the people who couldn't give their loved ones a before they die, of everyone who stuck to the rules all these months, of the other religions events which had to be marked in different ways, of all the jobs that have been lost because people and companies had to stick to rules. Just so Johnson can be the man who saved Christmas. People will say "oh well it's a Christian country so we Christmas should get special treatment" but for most people Christmas is presents and a piss up and little to do with religion. And as said above, if there's a relaxation over Christmas where in people's minds does that end, if it's ok over Christmas to meet x amount of people then a birthday party with y is ok.

Or am I just against it because it means I might have to see my sister in law?

I wouldn’t say your against it just because of that, although I’ve never met your sister in law, but we all know that in this country if you give someone an inch they’ll take a mile. 
They’ll go barmy for it because “it’s Christmas innit, now play that song with f****t in it on the radio” and when shit hits the fan in the new year, it’ll be someone else’s fault when they’re not allowed to go to the pub again

Edited by WyattSheepMask

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Harry Wiseau said:

for most people Christmas is presents and a piss up and little to do with religion.

You say that as if that somehow diminishes its importance, but its the opposite. It's more than just for the ever diminishing number of actually practicing, devout religious people in the country - it's the end of year blowout for the majority of people in this country socially / emotionally after all that shit they've been through that you have mentioned*. Enabling people to have some semblance of a decent Christmas in a safe way is actually really important.

* and I say that as someone who's been lucky enough not to bury any closer family but has just had a very muted Diwali celebration so I do understand your point.

Yeah I'd argue that Christmas as a concept for bringing family and friends together and some sort of positivity in this shit year is infinitely more significant than the religious part.

I'm still in two minds. It's very much a head vs heart thing isn't it? Like of course it makes complete sense to NOT have everyone allowed to do a normal Christmas. Everything about it from a scientific perspective says we need to fuck it off completely. But there's more than just that to consider.

More than ever we're taking into account people's mental health and actually taking that serious now. And to not have Christmas would be devastating for so many. Is it worth sacrificing safety and the inevitable issues after? Well that's a very difficult decision to make.

I know it's easy to be cynical and see Boris as wanting to save Christmas etc but I know I wouldn't find it easy in his position as to what's really the best option to take.

• Paid Members
On 11/18/2020 at 12:53 PM, Carbomb said:

@Suplex Sinner I'm so sorry to hear that, that's awful. My deepest condolences. I hope you're holding up OK.

Cheers buddy. Unfortunately my cousin, who was extremely close to my grandpa, didn't deal with the news well and took her own life so I've been checked out completely last few days. Family is struggling big time.

And, as with any of our heroes, all wasn't as it seemed. The "Olympic' medals (which I hadn't seen for about 25 years) aren't Olympic at all. They're medals from Army and Highland games throughout the late 30s, 40s and 50s. All predominantly tug of war and strength sports. Eugh. Still, it's been cool to look through the old photos and stuff. 

Anyway, I really appreciate the messages folks, it's another example of the community and care on here that enticed me to eventually sign up and start posting after a decade of lurking around.

Funerals are Thursday and Friday this week. Grandpa's is going to be tough because due to COVID there's no embalming, body won't be dressed, didn't get to see him other than by video call and casket won't leave the hearse basically as it's minimal contact. Hard to think that it'll be less than 20 folk allowed considering the whole community would ordinarily have turned out. 

Numb is the best way I can describe my current feeling. Clichéd I know but it's just a bit strange at the moment.